Search for content in message boards

Jefferson County Insane Asylum and Poorhouse

Jefferson County Insane Asylum and Poorhouse

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Went to Jefferson the other day to do some research on my family at the Deeds Office and decided to go check out one of potter's field's associated with the Jefferson Co. Insane Asylum and Poorhouse... I must admit that I got a chill up my spine when I came over the hill into the field.

I have a 5 min. video and 10 or so pics of the potter's field... If anyone wants to see them contact me and leave a valid email and I'll send them to ya!!!
Attachments:

Re: Jefferson County Insane Asylum and Poorhouse

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 4:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a list of many who are buried there and at the other
burial grounds.
If anyone contacts you I will share info. judy

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 6:35AM GMT
Surnames: CONGDON
Hi,
I'm looking for any CONGDONs.

Sylvester, Charles or Henry are some of the possible names I need info on, but would like to know if you have ANY Congdons at all!
Thank you!

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 4:37PM GMT
I am in AZ. and my info is back home. I will check when I return to WI. in April jr

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 1:34PM GMT
Hi. My email is Spirit@tds.net. Please send me a copy of the information you have. Thanks! Cindy

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 1:36PM GMT
Hi,
My email is Spirit@tds.net. Please send me any information you have on the Jefferson County Poorhouse. Thanks!
Cindy

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 7:01PM GMT
I am home and looked thru all my papers and the name is not there. If you suspect that someone was a resident of one of the old county homes those old books are at the court house and they make you fill out paper work before you can get it. How ever if you have not tried the Dodge Jefferson Counties Genealogical Sosciet at 504 S Watertown St, Waterown. 262 2362 give it a shot. They have tons of information. Good luck judy

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 2:08AM GMT
Hi Judy,
I assume your response was to me for CONGDON. (With this new format, I can never tell which posts are responding to what!)

We know that both Sylvester and Charles Henry (often referred to as either just Charles or just Henry) were both at the county home based on some other documents we have.

Was not aware of the books however at the Courthouse. What office are these found in? Next trip we go, we'll definitely take a look at them.

Thanks for your time in looking for the CONGDON name.

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 12:51PM GMT
contact clerk of courts Barb Frank 674 7144 Many of the
early deaths at the old CS were not recorded at the court house. The home consisted of the Insane A. and poor farm.

If I had known that I would not have had the freedom I did before the books were moved I sure would have done more work.

I was mostly working on the Potters field info and I did find more then were known. There were 3 fields. One across and just down the road from the old home was cleared a few years ago but nothing more was done to it. Not sure of the exact location of the 3rd but when construction was being done at the backside of that hill markers were uncovered and just probably thrown away.

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 4:09AM GMT
I'm looking for Albert J Hunt. He was there in 1930 and in 1940 he was enumerated in "Jefferson County Asylum & County Home".

Thanks so much!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions