Search for content in message boards

Andrew Michels-Anna Jost Date of Marriage

Andrew Michels-Anna Jost Date of Marriage

Posted: 19 Nov 2009 1:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Michels-Jost
I don't have much time to work on this in the evening and I thought I had posted the wrong request. I am looking for this: I would like a date and location of the marriage of Andrew Michels and Anna Jost. I believe the marriage took place in 1886-1887. I believe it was in WI. The 1895 MN census shows them in Tyrone, Le Seur County, MN. Andrew was the son of Johann John Michels and Agnes Angela Hein. Andrew was born in WI in 1857. The 1860 WI census shows Johann’s (Andrew) family in Fredonia, Ozaukee, WI. I don’t have much info on Anna other than I believe she was born in 1867 in Selingen, Belgium and she died in Morris, Stevens County, MN, in 1943.

Re: Andrew Michels-Anna Jost Date of Marriage

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 9:44PM GMT
Hello, I am not related.

I believe Anna was born in Germany/Prussia, as all the Minnesota census records states Germany. This may be Anna with her father Peter Jost and sister Ana M in the 1880 census Ozaukee County, along with Peter's brother Mathias and Mathias' wife. I think the son Michael was a son of Peter, and not Mathias. There was another Mathias Jost in Fredonia. I think he was another son of Peter. (see below for explanation). I couldn't find a marriage date in the Wisconsin pre 1907 marriage index, but you might want to try to locate a Church marriage record for them (most likely a German Church) in Saukville or Fredonia, or a nearby city that had a German church if neither one of these towns had one.

Hope this helps. RP.
------------
1880 United States Federal Census
Home in 1880: Saukville, Ozaukee, Wisconsin

Peter Jost, age 57, widower, born about 1823 Prussia, parents born Prussia

Ana M. Jost, daughter, age 23, born about 1857 Prussia, parents born Prussia

Ana Jost, daughter, age 13, born about 1867 Prussia, parents born Prussia

Mathias Jost, brother, age 73, born about 1807 Prussia, parents born Prussia

Ana Jost, wife, age 57, born about 1823 Prussia, parents born Prussia

Michael Jost, son, age 17, born about 1863 Prussia, parents born Prussia
---------
1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Mathias Jost
Home in 1880: Fredonia, Ozaukee, Wisconsin
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Birthplace: Prussia
Relation to Head of Household: Something other than a direct relationship (Other)
Father's birthplace: Prussia
Mother's birthplace: Prussia
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Cannot read/write:
Blind:
Deaf and dumb:
Otherwise disabled:
Idiotic or insane: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Wm. Bratschnider 37
Fredreka Bratschnider 36
Ida Bratschnider 12
Wm. C. Bratschnider 10
Annie Bratschnider 8
Robert Bratschnider 7
Bertha Bratschnider 6
Clara Bratschnider 4
Emma Bratschnider 2
Mathias Jost 15
------------
The reason I think that Michael and Matthias in the 1880 census were sons of Peter is because of what I found in the passenger & immigration lists. Notice that Peter is the Primary Immigrant here, with Family Members: Daughter Anna Maria; Son Michael; Daughter Anna; Son Matthias. The next one is for Primary Immigrant: Matthias Jost with a wife Anna Seter. No children listed. All these people seem to be the same people in the 1880 Ozaukee census.

Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Name: Peter Jost
Year: 1872
Place: North America

Family Members: Daughter Anna Maria; Son Michael; Daughter Anna; Son Matthias

Source Publication Code: 5463
Primary Immigrant: Jost, Peter
Annotation: Page number added by indexers.
Source Bibliography: MERGEN, JOSEF. "Die Auswanderer von Kell nach Amerika." In Die Porta: Heimatbeilage der Trierischen Landeszeitung (Sunday, 15 July, 1956), p. [1?].
Page: 1
----------
Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Name: Matthias Jost
Year: 1872
Place: North America
Family Members: Wife Anna Seter
Source Publication Code: 5463
Primary Immigrant: Jost, Matthias
Annotation: Page number added by indexers.
Source Bibliography: MERGEN, JOSEF. "Die Auswanderer von Kell nach Amerika." In Die Porta: Heimatbeilage der Trierischen Landeszeitung (Sunday, 15 July, 1956), p. [1?].
Page: 1
-----------
I then went to babelfish to translate what "Die Auswanderer von Kell nach Amerika." In Die Porta: Heimatbeilage der Trierischen Landeszeitung means. I may be wrong, but it looks like it could be a supplemental German newspaper in Trier, Germany, listing immigrants to America. It looks like this family came from Kell, Germany.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Die Auswanderer von Kell nach Amerika =
The emigrants from Kell to America

Heimat beilage der Trierischen Landeszeitung =
Homeland supplement of the Trieri national newspaper
------------
Then going to the JewishGen website...

http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

I find 3 Kell. The first and third Kell seem to be the same. One a town, populated place, and the other an airfield. Kell # 1 is only 12 miles from Trier, whereas Kell # 2 is 57 miles from Trier. I would think that the Kell # 1 would be the place this Jost family came from.

Kell populated place 49°38' N 6°50' E E M U G Germany 347.3 miles WSW of Berlin 52°31' N 13°24' E

Kell populated place 50°27' N 7°19' E E M U G Germany 297.8 miles WSW of Berlin 52°31' N 13°24' E

Kell airfield 49°39' N 6°50' E E M U G Germany 346.6 miles WSW of Berlin 52°31' N 13°24' E

Trier populated place 49°45' N 6°38' E E M U G Germany 349.7 miles WSW of Berlin 52°31' N 13°24' E

Trier to Kell # 1
Trier populated place 49°45' N 6°38' E E M U G Germany 12.0 miles NW of 49°38' N 6°50' E

Trier to Kell # 2
Trier populated place 49°45' N 6°38' E E M U G Germany 57.0 miles SSW of 50°27' N 7°19' E

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 11:37PM GMT
Andrew Michels and Anna Jost were married on June 7th, 1887 in Le Sueur, MN

Andrew was born Jan 22nd, 1856

Posted: 6 Jul 2014 10:38PM GMT
Surnames: Jost, Yost, Kleutsch, Ackerman(n)
I am a descendant of Peter Jost/Yost mentioned above. He came to America from Kell, Germany, in, I think, 1873, after the death of his wife shortly after childbirth in 1871. There appear to have been two Annas in this family group. The oldest, Anna Maria, married Bernard "Barney" Ackerman(n). The younger was my great grandmother, Anna (second youngest child), who married Nicholas Kleutsch. In doing research I kept running into Kluetsch spelling, largely in Minnesota. the Kleutsches appear in prussia and in Luxembourg; I do think there was a lot of movement within the area and the borders moving now and then, as there would have been in Belgium, and it would not surprise me if the Minnesota families and the Wisconsin were closely related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions