Search for content in message boards

French Canadian Children's Naming Conventions

French Canadian Children's Naming Conventions

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Would appreciate any info on typical naming conventions and selection of godparents in French Canadian RC families during 18th and 19th centuries. For example, for whom would a first son be named - his own father, his paternal grandfather, or ??? Also,is it likely a child's grandparent would stand as its godparent at baptism??

Re: French Canadian Children's Naming Conventions

Posted: 19 Dec 2011 6:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Don't know if this will be of any help -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_name

Perhaps requesting information from Church / etc - would provide the answer
cheers, Stella

Posted: 25 Dec 2011 6:51PM GMT
Thanks for the response .... in my case I don't have names of the child's grandfathers so was hoping that it's a reliable clue to assume his given name matched one of them.

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 3:50PM GMT
Generally speaking, the eldest child is named for grandparents and often they appear as sponsors. Check out the actual baptismal records, since it often indicates the actual relationship of the child to the parents.

Older siblings were also often god-parents to the younger siblgins, etc. Younger aunts and uncles, etc.

For younger children in large families, it can be whoever was still available. But godparents is a very special relationship recognized by the church. So the names of the godparents always indicate a close relationship between the parents and godparents.

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 8:43PM GMT
Thanks for posting. In my case, I have a marriage in Anglican church, no parents' names listed for either party. However, their first son born a year or so later was baptized RC. His godmother's name matches a POSSIBLE paternal grandmother. If it is at least plausible that a paternal grandmother would stand as godmother for a grandson, then I am taking this as a good clue for constructing a possible tree. There are other clues and info that would fit the scenario.

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 5:25AM GMT
If the marriage was in an Anglican church and the baptism was RC, you have to check the wording of the baptism very carefully. Does it state the child was born of the legitimate marriage of A and B, or the illegitimate marriage of A and B.

Generally speaking, priest did not like to baptized kids who were born to parents who were not married RC, if they did, they often mentionned the fact in the baptism itself. If the record actually states that the child is born of the legitimate marriage of A and B, then you might want to check the RC records around to see, if at any point, the marriage was rehabilitated in a catholic ceremony. I have found those and they are great since they give a lot more information such as parents name and if the parents are of different religion, then a dispense from the bishop is sometimes included.

Good luck.

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 12:56PM GMT
Baptism cert for this child did state "legitimate marriage", but I have not found any record of marriage regularization. Note, however, that there is a record of another child born two years later at "Green Bay" (this is written in English in otherwise French certificate); this cert somewhat illegible but clearly same parents, and appears to state that the child was born of a "liaison". Perhaps this cert indicates that the "regularization" was not proved?? All very curious. Anglican marriage cert gives witness names; one appears to be related to wife, and first son born a year later is given that name. Could be wife's father? Second child born at "Green Bay" is named for his own father. Make any sense? Love a mystery...

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 2:32PM GMT
Without looking at originals, I can't really have an opinion on that, but other records especially early Quebec census which are now online at familysearch.org might be used to prove or disprove your theory. Investigate the witnesses, who are they, when did they get married, are they old enough to be parents, who were their witnesses,etc.

Have fun.

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 10:23PM GMT
Will try the census...thanks again for your posts.

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 2:40PM GMT
would you mind giving us the info you have (names, dates) and perhaps someone on the board can help you.

By the way, catholic baptism does not require the parents to be both catholic, but the godparents have to be. Still is if my knowledge serves me well.

Ginette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic