Search for content in message boards

Thompson Family form Coleraine,Derry,Donegal Northern Ireland

Thompson Family form Coleraine,Derry,Donegal Northern Ireland

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 11:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Oct 2009 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Butler. Brown
Son John was killed in a work accident in 1863 at West Maitland. Daughters Catherine,Sarah and Margaret were married in the Woolombi area 1859,71 and 72. Robert James T married in Mackay Qld in 1880 to Kate Butler and '84 to Jessie Brown. It appears the family left the Maitland area after 1863 and disappears. I am seeking knowledge of the fate of Robert T and his wife Ann (Nee Waters) and of daughters Ann born Ireland 1843,Caroline born Sydney 1849 and Eliza Jane T born 1859. Any help willl be greatly appreciated from either the Irish or Australian end
Russell T

Re: Thompson Family form Coleraine,Derry,Donegal Northern Ireland

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 5:24PM GMT
Hi Russell-I just read this query. My Thompsons are from Ireland to Canada. I think that it is interesting that you say your Thompsons left Maitland area and just disappeared-I know this is a long shot BUT I have an ancestor William Samuel(born 1856) that named his 4th son Maitland (born 1901 in Canada). We do not know where this name Maitland comes from. Is it possible that some of your connection came to Canada?
I am at a brick wall with my Thompsons-they apparently came from Londonderry, Armagh, Ireland.

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson,Butler.Brown,Beavan,Hanna,Pinchen,Lower
Maitland is in the Hunter Valley District of New South Wales,Australia. Situated approximately two hours North of Sydney. The City is names after Lord James Maitland, Earl of Lauderdale, Scottish Peerage. Your Ancesters from Northern Ireland were almost certainly Scotts who migrated to Ireland between 1600 to 1800. They would have been avoiding British agression or Religious Intolerance. My understanding is the Thompson Clan were Lowlanders whose culture was underpinned in cattle steeling and raiding and pilliging. If you want to be sure join the Thompson DNA at site Clan Thompson. Hope this helps. Russell J Thompson

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 8:40PM GMT
Am not sure if there is any connection but the Maitland Family History Circle notes a William Thompson as one of the Original Settlors and there are a number of William Thompsons transported to Australia as convicts. Ancestry.com has these convicts well documented.
Kind Regards Russell J Thompson

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 8:55PM GMT
Whist it is possibly that my forebears left Australia I doubt they could afford the cost of passage. Robert Thompson was a bootmaker and carpenter and I have found no evidence of his owning property in Australia. Also his daughters Catherine,Sarah,Margaret and son Robert married in 1859.1871,1872 and 1880 respectively and I doubt his wife Ann would be agreeable to leaving her children and grand children and start a new life with three daughters at 50 years of age. But anything is possible :-) Russell Thompson

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 6:12PM GMT
I saw your post from yesterday (19-Oct-09)and found some common data. My Thompsons came from Armagh and settled in Holly (now part of Barry). The family believes that we are looking for a WILLIAM Thompson, believed to have been born in Belfast abt 1850. However, the given names of John and Samuel keep coming up in family history. This William Thompson married "Liza" Maley aby 1559 in Holly and there fathered anumber of sons and one daughter.

If any of this seems familiar, you can view a more detailed tree at http://jdick.net/genealogy/family_tree/index.htm . My email is on the main site.

-={jim}=-

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson,Butler.Brown,Beavan,Hanna,Pinchen,Lower
Hi James , Loved your website , music choise especially. As best i can calculate my GGGF ,Robert T, was born in 1819 in Milford,Donegal, Ireland. His sister Mary T (Married Samuel Hanna a Convict) was born in 1800 at Coleraine, Ireland. Her Death Certicicate states this. From shipping records their parents were Robert Thompson and Ann (Ne Donnelly). There is a further sibling Mary. Shipping Documents note that Mother Ann (Ne Donnelly) was alive in late 1843> The same shipping document indicate her husband was deceased. You would agree from this that relationship is doubtful Kind Regards Russell Thompson

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 9:02PM GMT
Hi Jim-
I believe that these Thompsons are connected top my Thompsons BUT I am still working on the connection. I have a good friend who descends from these Barrie, Ontario Thompsons and she is helping me. The problem is that all of the Thompsons used the same naming patterns. I will be back in touch.

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 11:10AM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON/YATES
Hello Russell
I am also looking for WILLIAM THOMPSON married to CHARLOTTE YATES
they were both from Coleraine, Londonderry, N. Ireland
They had a son William born 1845 also born in Coleraine
William and Charlotte were married on the 1st December 1840
In Killowen, Coleraine, N Ireland. She was the youngest daughter of the Late Mr. Yates from Coleraine This marriage was reported in the Belfast News in Dec 1840
William and Charlotte came to South Africa and I am really battling to find inforation about them,
they are my GGG grandparents
Regards
Elaine Edwards
South Africa

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Fryer and Egan
Hi! does any one have any knowledge of Thompson family from around the Molka, Longwood, Violet Town or Euroa areas of Victoria Australia? I am seeking info of a Robert Thompson who worked for Peter Fryer on Molka Station. My gr gr grandfather James Egan worked on the Station and his child Peter Egan is buried on the Station, 1863. The Egan children were fostered after death of mother and I was wondering if the Thompson family were connected. Both Peter Fryer and Robert Thompson signed the death certificate of baby Peter. I am hoping of some link with the ancestors of the above Mr Thompson, but it is only a wild guess! Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions