Search for content in message boards

BROWN and MACNEILL Families in Scotland in 1800's

BROWN and MACNEILL Families in Scotland in 1800's

Posted: 29 Sep 2006 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown McNeil
Neil McNeil married Agnes Brown in Lanark Scotland.They had a son David who married Elizabeth Brown June 25, 1867 in Bridgeton Glasgow. Appears he married a relative of his mother's. Any connection?

Re: BROWN and MACNEILL Families in Scotland in 1800's

Posted: 13 Jan 2008 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN, McNEIL, WILSON, DUNCANSON, SUTHERLAND
I also have David McNeil b. 26 Sep 1833 in Barony, Lanarkshire, s/o Neil McNeil & Agnes Brown. However, I have that he m. a Margaret Wilson in Jan 1853 in New Monkland, Lanarkshire [LDS]. I wonder if Margaret Wilson died, and David remarried to your Elizabeth Brown on June 25, 1867 in Bridgeton, Glasgow?

David's brother, William McNeil b. 27 Mar 1837 in Barony, Lanarkshire, m. Jean "Jane" Duncanson b. 06 Jun 1845 in Clyde, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, on 13 Sep 1867 in High Church, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Jean "Jane" Duncanson was a sister to my great grandmother, Helen Duncanson b. 09 Apr 1860 in Clyde, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Helen Duncanson m. George Sutherland in 1883, and they came to the US in 1883 and 1st settled in Long Island City, Queens Co., NY.

I sure would like for us to share our data. If you would like to contact me, please do so at genbrat@gmail.com.

Regards,
Carol
Florida,USA

Re: BROWN and MACNEILL Families in Scotland in 1800's

Posted: 5 Oct 2010 1:03PM GMT
My great-grandmother Mary McGalliard Breckenridge *1876* married a William McNeil Brown *1860* in 1906 in Blythswood, Glasgow, Scotland - after her first husband died. I know that oftentimes, there was a Scottish naming pattern where they named their children as 1st born son taking the father's father name, 2nd born son taking the mother's fathers name and middle names were often the maiden name of the mother. William Brown was a widower and occupation listed as Marine Engineer on the marriage document that I have. Any relation to your Brown MacNeill family in Scotland? I'm searching for children between William and Mary - I have word of mouth information that they had one son and twin daughters.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions