Search for content in message boards

Vance

Vance

Bryant Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vance, Branson
I am seeking information on a John W. Vance and a Rebecca Branson Vance, his wife, who were born and married in Jefferson County TN, but supposedly died in Dandridge in mid to late 1800's. Would love to share any info on these families with other researchers.

Vance, Branson

Posted: 28 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 12:58PM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Branson
John Vance, b.20 Oct 1806 d. 13 Dec 1871, married Rebecca Branson, b. 5 Apr 1806 in NC, on 4 Mar 1837 in Jefferson Co.
Rebecca was daughter of Levi Branson and Rhoda Ballinger. John Vance was reportedly an orphan that was raised by an Uncle John Vance. I haven't been able to find any information as to John Vance's parents.

John and Rebecca had 8 children. I am a decendant of his daughter, Lucy "Rue" Hannah Vance and Dewitt Clinton Williams. Let me know if you would like additional information.

Vance

Betty (View posts)
Surnames: Vance
Hi Bryant--sorry about the last message--hit the wrong key--anyway my great grandfather William Frederick Pate was married to Mary Rebecca Vance and they are both buried at Dumplin Cemetery. Her father was Thomas Vance and her mother was Sarah Adeline Rimmer I believe. Just thought I would share this

Vance

Betty (View posts)

Branson Family

Jeff Satterfield (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Branson, Gass, Snodgrass
Hi Jerry and all. I am interested in the parentage of a
Nancy Branson ( or Branston ) born 24 July 1798 married to
David Gass on 18 March 1815 in Jefferson County TN. I am
wondering if your Rebecca Branson and Nancy may have been
sisters. Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks.

Vance/Branson

Bryant Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Vance
Jerry,
I would definitely like to get all the info you have on this family. Do you know where John Vance died and was buried? To see some of the information I have on the Vance family you can check out:http://www.uftree.com/UFT/WebPages/rogersb/ROGERS/d2/i000032...
Bryant Rogers

Vance Genealogy

Posted: 3 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 12:58PM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Branson, Ballinger, McKnight
Sorry to be so late in getting back to you but some times my work interferes with my life too much. I visited your web site and found it to be great. I don't know if the heritage show for John Vance agrees with the information shown below. Please let me know the source of your information.

As to John Vance's death and burial, I have read that he was buried in Vance's Cemetery, located on Pearl Eslinger's farm. Better known as the Maynard Farm in the lower end of Rocky Valley near the Hodges Switch. There are 11 marked graves:

Sallie McClure 14 Aug 1861 - 23 Dec 1887
John Vance 20 Oct 1806 - 13 Dec 1871
Eli Vance 10 Oct 1840 - 25 Jun 1862
John Vance died 18 Nov 1857, age 88 years
John Frazier 1 Sep 1832 - 24 Sep 1893
Willie Marion Coile born & died 9 Dec 1881
Malinda McKnight 15 Apr 1836 - 24 Feb 1886
Lafayettee Coile Capt. Co. I, 3rd Tenn Calvary
Cannon, S. S.
Cannon, S. S. Jr.
J. R. Cannon

I obtained the above information from a published source at the Dallas Public Library but as a beginning genealogist I neglected to write it down. I know better now.

Most of the information that I have on the Vance's came from the following two typewritten pages that I obtained from my father's files in the late 1970's. I believe that he obtained them from his Uncle George Vance TRUSS. I am attempting to verify the source. I have transcribed them exactly as written so that any nuances in grammar or capitalization will be preserved.

Page 1:

"Uncle" John Vance was either a colonel or a general in the Revolutionary War. Angeline better known as "Angie" McKnight (Smith) remembers because she saw his uniform many times. "They kept it in the attic and I remember that as a child my sister and I would get the gold fringe from off the epaulets and make rings of the stuff."

"Uncle John Vance reared a nephew who had been orphaned by the name of JOHN VANCE. This John Vance married Rebecca Branson. Zebulon Vance of N.C. Civil War fame was a cousin of John Vance.
Rebecca Branson came of the union of LEVI BRANSON and RHODA BALLENGER. It is said that Rhoda Ballenger is buried at Kingston, Ga. Rebecca had a brother who married a Jane (last name not known) and from this union came JOHN, "MAG", SINGLETON (called "SING"), BILL, BOB, MAC. "Jane" died and LEVI (Rebecca's brother) remarried a woman called "Mrs. Mull". From this union came TOM, FRED, and JESSE BRANSON. (Mrs. Mull is probably the mother or grandmother of Dr. Mull now in Rome, Ga.) Of this union of Rebecca Branson and John Vance came DAVE, EMILY, SALLY, "RUE", KATE, ELI, and ORLENA.

Dave married a Mattie Cathey who was reputed to be the daughter of the richest man in N. C. Her father was "Col." Cathey. Their union took place immediately after the Civil War, probably about 1868.

Emily married a Captain Wm. McKnight. Of this union came EMILY and "ANGIE" or ANGELINE, Emily married a WITT who left her after their first born had died.
Angeline or "Angie" married a David B. Smith and from this union came ALICE, ORLENA, MARGARET, JOHN, EMILY, FLORENCE, DELL, CHARLIE, "JO", FRANK, SADIE, AND BESS. Sally married a Nelson.
Rue married a Dewitt Williams who was a nephew of Thaddeus Williams.
Kate married a Henry Vance who was her third cousin. The marriage was very much objected to by Kate's parents and family.
Will married a Maggie Kennedy

Page 2:

Eli died of typhoid fever two weeks after enlisting in the Rebel Army.
Orlena married a Thaddeus Williams (from Indiana) and from this union came EMMA, JOHN, HANNAH, BESSIE SADIE, AND ELI.
Emma married AMBROSE PERRY WATSON and from this union came Orlena, Etta, Albert, and Wm. Grover.
John married Lily Parks and from this union came ALLEN, JOHN. By JOHN'S second wife, Vann BRYANT, They had NELL, RUTH, WRIGHT, REX, AND RAY.
Hannah married A. P. Jones (a minister) and they were childless.
Bessie married THOMAS WATTERS and from this marriage came THADDEUS, ANNIE VANCE, MIRIAM and REBECCA.
Sadie married TOM WRIGHT and from this marriage came OLIVER, NELL, FRANCES.
ELI married ____________ and from this marriage came ___________________.

Orlena Watson married George Luther Clement and from this marriage came Watson and George. Etta Watson married Wallace Watters and they were childless. Etta's second marriage to L. C. MITCHELL produced Sarah, Orlena, and L. C. Jr. Etta's third marriage was to Thomas Watters (the husband of her aunt BESSIE WILLIAMS WATTERS)
Albert Watson married an Ella Tolbert and from this marriage came Kathryn and Dewitt. Sarah Mitchell married Hugh Meadows. They are childless except for an infant who died at birth.

Orlena Mitchell married Griffin MOORE and they had Dan, Mitchell and __________.
L. C. married Ruby Camp and they had Nancy and Mather.
George Clement married Geneva Standifer and they had G. L. III, and Jimmy.
Watson Clement married Nancy Bartram and they had LaVance.
DeWitte Watson married Christeen Hanvey and their child died at birth.
Kathryn Watson married Lucian O. Williamson and they had __________, April 1955.

Pate clue?

Leslie Carpio (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Pate, Campbell, Vance
Help!
I need a clue to my Pate search. Who is your William Frederick Pate related to? My Pates are from NC and migrated to TN....Jefferson Co, Madison Co, Gibson Co.
in mid 1800's.

Leslie

William Frederick Pate

Betty L. Tenorio (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Pate
William Frederick Pate was the son of John Pate born 1829 in Va. and died July 3, 1891--he is buried in Scott Cemetery in Claiborne County, Tenn. William married Mary Magdalene Hines who was born 1830 and died June 20, 1896 she is buried in Dumplin Cemetery, near Dandridge, Jefferson, Tenn. If you require any more information let me know--William Frederick was my Great Grandfather,

Re: Vance, Branson

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 2:39AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2005 12:51AM GMT
How much do you know about this Branson line? I believe I am also kin to Levi Branson and Rhoda Ballinger. Do you have a list of all their children?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions