Search for content in message boards

Cottinghams of Alabama

Cottinghams of Alabama

DiDi Cottingham (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cottingham
I'm DiDi Cottingham and have done some researching for quite some time now. I've obtained death certificates on some of the people who are listed here on the site. I was wondering if anybody out there had any info on Cottinghams in Alabama particularly Bibb County. This seems to be where we originated. My dad was born in 1936 named William Milton Cottingham. His memory can only take me so far, and unfortunately he is the oldest living member of us now. I'll greatly appreciate any help.

DiDi Cottingham

Rosponse to DiDi

Joe Cottingham (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi DIDI, I just recently met Charles Cottingham who is from Alabama, our conversation was very short as neither of us knew much about our family or its history. We did however exchange phone numbers and said we would be in touch after we had done some research. He also mentioned that his Grandfather's name was William, I will try and contact him to find out more. Talk later Joe.

Cottinghams of Al.

Posted: 17 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2001 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: Ray, Hancock, Taylor, Cottingham, Wright, McCrary, Milner, Miller
DeDe,
Hi I am a Cottingham .My grandmother is Leah Belle Cottingham Ray m.John William R.Ray both deceased.She was the daughter of Thomas Cottingham and Martha Jane Taylor.
I have a copy of the book entitled:The Cottingham's of Bibb County,Alabama Volume 1. Complied by Anna Blanche Cottingham of Ada ,Oklahoma.She is now deceased.
If I can look up anything for you I will be glad to.
Another Cottingham Cousin
Mary

Re: Cottinghams of Al.

Posted: 15 Jul 2001 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2003 7:46PM GMT
I am trying to find William C. Cottingham who married Maud/Maude Merchant in Bibb Co., AL. I would like birth, death dates of both of them, where they are buried and information of any children they had. I think they were married Dec. 31, 1899.
I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you in advance.

Rea

Posted: 24 Nov 2001 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2001 5:14AM GMT
Surnames: Cottingham,
This is the information I have on William Columbus "Willie" Cottingham.
He married MAUDE MERCHANT Dec. 31, 1899
MAUDE was the daughter of MARION MERCHANT and CATHERYN SPINKS. MAUDE died after 1960.
MAUDE and WILLIAM had three children became the mother of BUNA, GUY C. (died as an infant and is buried at Antioch, Bibb Count, Al. b. March 23, 1900, d. July 2, 1902)
and FRED. William Columbus was the son of Oliver Jackson and Grand son of John Pinckey. John Pinckey was the son of Elisha and also my line. I have much more information on them if you would like to contact me. You are also welcome to come to our Alabama Cottingham reunion in June.

Re: Cottinghams of Alabama

Charles Cottingham (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2002 11:58AM GMT
Didi i am Charles Cottingham from Anniston Alabama ,but my father was from Bibb county the Centreville area.i would like to chat and see if we are related in any way,i am currently in Italy but i will return in the spring and hope to hear from u soon.

later cuz

Posted: 7 Jul 2002 2:18AM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2005 9:53PM GMT
I'm glad to meet another cousin. You may contact me directly at doncau@yahoo.com If you're ancestry is from Bibb County, I'm sure we're related. Donna

Posted: 9 Jul 2008 4:27PM GMT
Surnames: Ray, Cottingham, Stillwell
I am interested in John William Ray that married Leah Bell Cottingham in Lee County Alabama. I have some information on them but I am just beginning and any help would be appreciated. Their children:

Torry (or Twigie ??) (1906)
Ralph (1910)
Jim Frank (1913) marired Lula Mae Stillwell
Annie M. (1914)
Richard Ishmel (?) (1917)
Maggie (1920)
Ruth (1922)
Lois (1924)
Willie (1927)

Except for Jim Frank marrying Lula Mae Stillwell, I have no spouses for any of the children. I have no death dates either.

I have the father of John William Ray (born ~1885) as King Solomon Ray. King Solomon Married Eliza ____. They had Arizo Ray, James W. Ray, Lillie Ray, James H. Ray, and Annie Pearl Ray.

If you could add to any of this information, I would be most thankful. I am finding that there were many Rays in that area of Alabama in it makes it most difficult to keep things straight.

Tammy Barg
tbarg@tampabay.rr.com

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 4:17AM GMT
Hey Everyone,

My name is Kyle Cottingham. I have been wondering where our family came from. My Grandpa was Louie Cottingham of Hillsboro. I have also wanted to know if there is anything that may be done to find out for us when we came over because I have my theories about our name being connected to England and the guy who built the nottingham palace seeing how the names are spelt so simulair. You can reply on here or I can be reached via e-mail at kyle.cottingham@yahoo.com.

Posted: 21 Aug 2010 7:48PM GMT
Hi, my name is Dana Cottingham Fricke. I know my Cottingham family connection is not directly tied to Bibb County Alabama but after doing some extensive research I stumbled upon this blog http://journey2thepast.blogspot.com/ and saw that this person discovered a lost cemetery in Bibb County Alabama with several "Cottingham's" burried there. You may want to take a look at the above site to see if it may be of some use to you. good luck and happy hunting!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions