Search for content in message boards

Fierro/Fierro Ancestry & Rodolfo Fierro

Fierro/Fierro Ancestry & Rodolfo Fierro

Posted: 18 Aug 2008 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fierro
Hello Paisanos:

My mother, the late Romana Ruffina Fierro Glotzer, Lic., was born in Terlingua Texas in 1918. My abuela was Manuela Lozano Fierro. My grandfather took off to fight in the Mexican revolutionary conflicts around 1920, and was never heard from again. My mom and my tias were little kids when this happened. My oldest surviving tia does not remember his name, but she remembers that our family was originally from Delicias, Chihuahua.

When I saw the picture of Gral Fierro on the Winkepedia site, I was startled at the family resemblence! Does anybody out there know anything about the Fierros in northern Mexico and south Texas? (Even in Spain, there are only 2300 people with the suname of Fierro.)

With thanks,

Robert H. Glotzer (y Fierro)

Re: Fierro/Fierro Ancestry & Rodolfo Fierro

Posted: 3 Jan 2009 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: Fierro, Ferreira, Martinez, Saenz, Elizalde, Morales, Aguilera y Roche
Hello Robert:

Might be of your interest in your search the following link:

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.fierro/mb.ashx

regards

Jesse

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 12:36AM GMT
Hello Dr. Fierro:

Thank you for the threads for the other Fierros. My grandfather was Esteban Fierro, who was from Delicias, Ch. He married my grandmother, Manuela Lozano. I don't know the date of his birth or who his parents were. My mother was the late Romana Ruffina Fierro Glotzer, Lic, who was born in 1917 in Terlingua, Texas. She had a sister named Anita, who is still living, although she does not remember a lot.

According to family legend, Esteban Fierro took off around 1920 to fight in the Mexican revolution with Villa. He was never heard from again. My abuela later remarried to Manuel Pena, and the family moved to ElPaso, where they lived in the Chamizal.

Other than that, this all I know of the Fierro connection.

With thanks,

Robert H. Glotzer y Fierro

Posted: 4 Jan 2009 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Fierro, Ferro, Glotzer, Ferreira, Martinez, Saenz, Elizalde, Morales, Aguilera y Roche
Robert:

Please call me Jesse.

Seems congruent, some Fierro revolutionaries moved from Jimenez elsewhere. I explain you: the hotbed for the Fierros in northern Mexico and Texas was Jimenez Chihuahua Mx. The Fierros settled there and remain there almost a century, thus is not quite rare to find some families Fierro-Fierro. Amongst the Fierros in Jimenez, there were the conservatives (bourgeois) and those who where willing to change the politician "status quo" which favored the rich ones. Francisco Villa was a great personality in these changes during the Mexican Revolution. Seems that the Fierros who where more instructed and have a good education shown a political preference for Pancho Villa; Obviously the conservative Fierros opposed to the changes. Thus, here starts the split of the Fierro's family from Jimenez by 1920. From the left side was Rodolfo Fierro and his family (all Fierros were relatives in different degrees) and the right was represented for those conservative Fierros that stayed in Jimenez. The rest of the Fierros started a Diaspora south to north, that's why you find Fierros in USA. Since the Mexican Revolution did never attain its goals, something very well known here in Mexico, many Fierros never came back again to Mexico.

I think Esteban Fierro died in a battle by that time.

I do have a Lozano male in my records, might be the father of your grandmother.Do you have his first name?

This is the first time I know from a Ruffina Fierro Glotzer. Can you please tell me more about her? I'm very interest for a follow-up of this branch.

Regards

Jesse

Posted: 5 Jun 2009 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Fierros, Montoya
Hello Robert,
There are some similarities in what you report here to what I have on my Fierros connection. First, we use Fierros with an s at the end, which may be a dirivitive. My ggrandfather, his brothers and their sons were involved with the Revolution. His name was Francisco Fierros b 1861-Camargo,Mex. d 1943-Laredo, Tex. His father was Leocardio Fierros and his mother was Valentina Garcia Fierros. Not much else is known about their lives, except that by 1915, they had been living in Laredo, Texas and he served as sheriff for a while. Any connections to your line?

Posted: 6 Jun 2009 1:49PM GMT
Hello:

My mother, the late Romana Ruffina Fierro Glotzer, Lic, was born in Terlingua Texas in 1918. Her father was Diego Fierro, and my abuela was Manuela Lozano. Are these names name familiar to you? My tia Anita Granados, who is over ninety, told me that Diego Fierro and his family came from Delicias, Ch. When my mom and my tia Anita were little, my abuelo went off to fight in the revolution with Pancho Villa, and was never heaard from again. (Of course, a lot Mexican men did this to a fresh start, and to get away from their wives!)

I do not know the name of Diego Fierro's father. I have been in contact with Carlos Fierro, who is also from Delicias. Is Camargo anywhere near Delicias? I am not young any more, and I am trying to collect our family history, so my nieces will know their heritage.

Does any of this seem familiar?

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 2:08AM GMT
Surnames: Fierro-Glotzer, Lozano, Martinez y Fierro, Granados, Fierro Guillen, Fierro Saenz
Dear Robert:
Thank you for your kind answer. Yes it sounds familiar!!! Diego is a very common name in my ancestors. Manuel and Manuela are also first names very usually in my family. I did remember the surname Lozano been mentioned several times. My Fierro's made many round business trips to Camargo and Delicias Chihuahua, that are nearby cities to Chihuahua, Jimenez and Torreon. They were always talking about these places. My grandmother was Leonarda Fierro Guillen, with many siblings, his father was Felipe Fierro, seems he was from Italian or Portuguese ancestry. Perhaps Diego was related with Felipe?. My ant Lilia describe Felipe as a Caucasian man, tall, handsome, smart, well built, blond hair and blue eyes. He was the owner of a very well known store in Jimenez Chihuahua, called "La Sorpresa", closed by the time of the Mexican revolution. My grand-ant Pascuala, it's is said had been very familiar and friend of Pancho Villa. She lived until 1965, died at 93 years old. Seems all the Fierros have had very long lives.
Hope these data let us find a common link in our ancestry,
Thank you again Robert
Sincerely
Jesse

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 5:27AM GMT
I really dont know if we are related to Rodolfo Fierro. I find very few connections with those Fierro. However in my research (very sparse)I did find some interesting things with help from a cousin who lives in Bryan TX. Look up the "Plan de San Diego". We (those from Laredo) were more involved in that aspect of the revolution*. Several key items that recure in my family.
Railroad, Laredo, Donley(city), FlowerShop in laredo, Gilbert Fierros(famous musician). My grandfather worked for the railroad (lost an arm).
* actually we wanted to take over texas, arizona, newmexico and California, Kill all white, ally with blacks and oriental etc etc. Crazy huh!

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 2:58PM GMT
The railroad connection stands out, because I am retired from a railroad too. I worked on the Boston Subway system before I went to law school. I should have done all this research when when My tios and tias were still alive. I have seen Rodolfo Fierro's picture on Winikiepedia (Or whatever they call it!), and he look like me when I was around thirty or so - strange! And Rodolfo Fierro also worked on a railroad! It's hard to establish a connection because so many of my older relatives have passed away.

I don't know if we are related to General Roberto Fierro,
who was the governor of Chihuahua, who helped found the Mexican air force, and who flew non-stop from New York to Ciudad Chihuahua in the nineteen thirties. His record stood for many years. I have never seen a picture of General Fierro.

In all of Spain, there are only 2300 people with the surname of Fierro, though some may spell it with an s, as your family does. Some have kept the old castellano spelling of "Hierro". I have never met another latino person with this surname. There is a large economic consulting group in Madrid named "Gruo Fierro".

I have one tia who is still alive, but she is over ninety, and her memory is not good. I will try to see what she remembers about my grandfather.

boazrg@yahoo.com

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:22AM GMT
my father is named angel Miguel Sanchez Fierro and my grandmother moved to texas from mexico, my father was born in El Paso, Texas, Im wondering if im related to Rodolfo Fierro?? can someone help me?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic