Search for content in message boards

Robert Moody / Moddy from Orkney

Robert Moody / Moddy from Orkney

Posted: 23 Jun 2005 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Nov 2006 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Moddy
My 9th G-Grandfather was Robert Moody (Born 1590-1600's)
He immigrated to Norway. I know he came form Orkney but I am not sure where n Orkney. I do know about his life in Norway but I would like to find out more about his family line in Orkney. Any ideas or help?

Re: Robert Moody / Moddy from Orkney

Beate Bendixen (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2005 11:38AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 4:31AM GMT
Surnames: Moddy
Hello Charmaine. My husband and I live in Northern Norway, and we are searching for the same person as you are. Both our families date back to Robert Moddy, which was a great surprise to us both, and we are interested in finding out about our ancestors from Orkney. So, in a way we are all related. It would be great to hear from you. Where in the world do you live? And have you found out anything about Moddy's ancestors?

melissa (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2006 3:50AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 4:33AM GMT
My family may also be from Orkney...and my father's ydna has been proven to be of a Norwegian branch.
I have been searching for my Moodie-Mudie-Moody family for a long time. I only know for certain back to my 5th grt. grandfather James Moody whose family no doubt came from Scotland and may have come through Northern Ireland with the Ulster-Scots to America.
We have an exact ydna match to a branch of Moody's in Nova Scotia.
At some point way back in time our Moody's (or whatever our name may have been), came from Norway.
It was nice to see the name so close "Moddy" and two people linked between Norway and Orkney on this board.
I wish I could find my missing links back to the 1600's.
Good Luck to you both.

Charmayne (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2006 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 4:32AM GMT
Surnames: Moodie,Mudie,Moddy
Moddy or Moddi is the Norwegian way of spelling the the Moodie-Mudie-Moody name. Do you know which Moddy your Norwegian line came through. I will try to find some time to look at my info and see if I have an ancestors of this line that came to the US.
I do have some interesting info on this line if you would like to have it?

melissa (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2006 6:39PM GMT
Hi,
MODI is a version of the spelling of our name which I have been researching for a while now. My father has just had yet another match (ydna) to a family who has Northern Ireland links but whose family is 99% prob. Scottish.
My family is not matching to any of the English Moody's even though our name is spelled in the more common English manner. We are sharing dna and genealogy however with the MOODIE's/MUDIE's/MUDY's from Scotland over and over again.
Since my Father's ydna has already been proven to be of a Norwegian haplotype, I am convinced that our Moodie family are those who lived in Hoy, Orkney since the time of the Viking rule there.
The Moodie Book genealogy of this family publ. in 1906 also tells that they claim a Norse lineage to the Vikings from that time as well.
It only makes sense to me that since my name is Moody, my Dad's dna is Norse, most of our closest matching other surnames are from the same families that these Moodie's in the Orkney's married into etc. etc, that This is Our Line.
I have just been in touch with a lady who contacted me telling me that her family too was from Co. Londonderry, Ireland and came to America but that her father told her that his family Was Scottish and that even though their name was also changed to the more common English spelling of the name, that they were not in any way to be confused with the New England Moody's.

Having said all of this, again, I do believe my Moody family are from that line of the Orkney Isles. Dad has 15 shared matches to men from Iceland and 5 from the Shetland Isles as well as numerous ones from Scotland.
I had no idea there were any Moddy's in Norway. This may Surely be my ancient family then.
I would love to receive anything you are willing to share and you can send it via email to me at my email address listed here.
Thank you so very much for the Reply and I will look foward to hearing from you soon.
Melissa

Charmayne (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2006 7:37PM GMT
Surnames: Moodie, Mudie, Moody
I will send you some info via email. It would be great to trace my Robert Moddi before he came to Bjarkoy, Norway. He was VERY RICH! He basically owned practically all of the island of Bjarkoy. He had a fish business in Bergen where he trade with the Germans. I have traced him to Orkney but didn't know exactly where he lived there or his family line there.
Great to hear back from you and I will try and get that info soon to you!

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 8:37AM GMT
Hi all

I am not related but read your posts with interest.

May I suggest you try the following site, which has an entire document of Moodie births and baptisms in Caithness, Orkney & Shetland.

http://www*cursiter*com/pages/indices.htm

(replace * with .)

Good luck!

Cherilyn

Posted: 30 Oct 2008 1:55PM GMT
I am a descendant of Robert Moddy, too, living in Norway. I have an ancestor line that goes back to him through his son Esau Robertson Moddy and his daughter again Anne Esausdaughter Moddy. I know Robert is said to have come from Scotland, but have no knowledge of his ancestors. If someone have that kind of information, I would be thankful for receiving it by email.

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 10:54PM GMT
I do not have any information on his line from Scotland. It is something I would like to pursue in the future. I am also in the Esau Robertson Moody line. I live in the USA.
Where do you live in Norway? I am in touch with others in Norway who descend from this line.

Posted: 5 Nov 2008 9:05AM GMT
I live in Lillehammer, Norway, but I was borne in Ballangen, Nordland, in Northern Norway. My ancestry line back to Robert Moddy goes through my grandmother who was borne in Salangen, Troms. - Bjarkøy, where Robert Moddy owned land and property, is also located in the Troms county, and his son Esau Robertson Moddy owned the farm Grøsnes not far from Bjarkøy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic