Search for content in message boards

Canada England? Where is this?

Canada England? Where is this?

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Curran
I keep running across this in census records for my great grand parents.
On some censuses, my gggreat grandpa lists his place of birth as Ireland, on a couple of them he lists Canada England. What exactly does this mean? Is it Canada? I see there is a Canada England...any help you could give is appreciated!

Re: Canada England? Where is this?

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 10:49PM GMT
My experience is that Canada-English has been Ontario, to distinguish it from Quebec or the other parts of what is now Canada.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 7:12PM GMT
Thanks!

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 9:56AM GMT
There is a Canada in Hampshire, small hamlet on edge of New Forest.
Also check out a search on Streetmap.co.uk as i think there one or two other places in other counties, small places though !
Hope this helps!

Posted: 8 May 2012 3:24PM GMT
From my experience Canada English includes the Maritime provinces that are for the most part English speaking. I will say NB is bilingual so as not to get in trouble.

Posted: 13 May 2012 2:16PM GMT
Thanks everyone for the replies...but does anyone have any idea why sometimes my grandfather would list Ireland as his place of origin and sometimes Canada England?

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:13AM GMT
I think it could depend on who was giving the information to the census taker - it may have been him or his wife or even a neighbour or employer. They may or may not have known exactly where he was born.
After the census info was collected it was copied onto summary forms (which are the forms we see) so there is also the possibility of an error during that process.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2012 10:47PM GMT
Until the Statute of Westminster in 1931 Canada was technically part of the British Empire with final legislative control being that of the British Parliament. Until about 1947 (Canadian Citizenship Act 1946) Canadians remained British citizens, although Canadian citizenship existed from about 1910. In 1982 the British Parliament passed an act that brought the Canadian Constitution (i.e, The British North America Act, 1867) under Canadian jurisdiction. From the USA point-of-view, Canada was part of England. The key point is that throughout most of this, Canadians were 'British subjects', therefore, by USA standards, English. Therefore, "Canada, England".

Thomas

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 12:43AM GMT
Thank-You so much Thomas!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic