Search for content in message boards

Decendents of John Little and Mary Maskall

Decendents of John Little and Mary Maskall

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Little
Hello,

John and Mary were married in 1836 in Queens County, New Brunswick. John passed away in 1870 in Carleton County, NB and Mary passed away sometime after 1881 (she is found on the 1881 living in Kent Parish, Caleton Co. with her daughter and son-in-law, Susan Little and John Peter Levesque.

John and Mary's 2 children and their grandchildren moved to the Caribou, Aroostook Co. area shortly after (John Peter Levesque and Susan Little + Isaac William Little and Lucretia Sinnett). I don't think it would be an understatement to say that there are many thousands of descendants who could include John and Mary in their family tree.

I am hoping one of these descendants might see this and be able to shed some light on some of the mysteries (brick walls) with this line. I have searched at the Provicial Archives in Fredericton, New Brunswick with no luck - really hoping someone might have a family bible or some other piece of evidence (letter, newspaper clipping etc) that will shed some light on any of these questions.

1. What happened to John's wife, Mary (nee Maskall)? Did she remarry? Did she move with the rest of the family to Aroostook County?

2. Was John previously married? Has there been anything passed down that indicated that John and Mary had more than 2 children (Isaac William and Susan Little) and/or if Isaac and Susan had any half-brothers/sisters? One researcher had mentioned that John and Mary might have had 3 more daughters (Sarah, Hannah and Elizabeth) but I have not found anything in the census records or at the provincial archives to confirm this.

There were Littles' in the Queens County, NB area in the 1830's but have never been able to connect them postively with John Little. More and more images of records are appearing on the web for New Brunwsick and Maine - maybe someday one will appear that will answer some of these questions.....sometimes though it is only through personal papers that we able to connect the dots. :-)

Regards,
Jerry

Re: Decendents of John Little and Mary Maskall

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 5:22PM GMT
I am a desendant of Susan (Little) Levesque but have no info other than the same, John & Mary, two children Issac and Susan. Have you had other replies? Where is it that you cannot make a connection. Why do you think they had other marriages? I believe there are a number of trees that carry the littles backward, but perhaps my recollectionis wrong.

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 1:20AM GMT
Nope....no other responses to this posting (yet).

In the early 1820's, a John Little came to Queens County, New Brunswick - according to the land petition record, he came from England, was married, and had 3 daughters. I have a hunch that this is the same John Little who married Mary Maskall years later (first wife probably passed away etc), but have come up with no evidence by checking the provincial archives in Fredericton, New Brunswick (also have nothing on the 3 daughters who were born in England and came with their father and mother).

Since records during this time period are rather sketchy - it might have been possible that there were 2 John Littles' from England living in Queens County, NB at the same time - I have yet to find that either.....

I am hoping that maybe there might be something passed down on the John Little/Maskall line that might have indicated that John was previously married and/or that their children might have had half-sisters etc.

Definitely a long shot.

Your recollection is correct - there are numerous trees on ancestry.com with the Litte/Levesque/Searles lines (even noticed some very old photos) - always hoping/wishing a long-lost document (maybe a family bible) might have been passed down that will prove my hunch.

Regards,
Jerry

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 3:05PM GMT
Jerry,
I Do not have any more info in the littles except what was written up in The Searles Family History by Gordon Searles. But it is full of mistakes, I would not trust much. Where is John Little buried, is his wifes grave there also? I have a family Bible of Peter Levesque and Susan (Little)'s daughter in-law via there son Franks first of 3 marriages. But nothing new in it, but see does list all here childrens births and deaths. Who are you desendanted from. Do you know anything about Peter Levesque. It seems without question he was French Candain. So people claim he is from River-de-loup but I do not know where they get that info, although I see there are land petetions for him in the NB archives, perhaps that says something. Tom

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 3:37PM GMT
Hi Tom,

I believe that John Little was probably buried in Kent Parish, Carleton County (he died Dec. 1870) but I have never come across where he is buried. His wife, Mary, is found in the 1871 and 1881 census. No one seems to know what happened to her after that. Six or seven years later, it looks like the Levesques' and Littles' crossed over the border.

Having the 1890 USA census might have helped narrow down when Mary passed away. Having the 1851 Queens County census for NB would also help determine any other children John might have had - unfortunately neither one exist.

William Cooper Little would be my gggg grandfather - 2 of his sons being John Little and William Bell Little. I am a descendant of William Bell Little.

Transcribed from a couple land petitions in Queens County, NB:

From Land Petition dated August 7, 1820 for William and John Little
"They were born in Cumberland, England, where they always resided till' they arrived in this country last month. The
former is fifty five years of age, has a wife and seven children, four boys and three girls, the youngest thirteen. His son, John Little, is twenty six years old, is married and has three children."

NOTE: From Land Petition dated October 1822 for John Little
"A British subject of the ageo of thirty years, a married man with three children, females and migrated from Carlisle in England into this country in the year 1820."

Although I have never researched Peter Levesque, I have seen numerous postings in forums - seems he is quite the mystery too.

Jerry

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 8:29PM GMT
Hi Jerry and Tom,

John Peter Levesque's POB is from his 1912 death record. It clearly states he was born in Rivière-du-Loup, QC, Canada.

I have never been able to connect our John Little with William Cooper Little and William Bell Little. I was provided info on them abt 20 yrs ago. I was also provided copies of portraits of the same if interested.

Dale

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 12:03PM GMT
Hi Dale,

Good to hear from you again. I have checked the provincial archives (and also been through the info posted on familysearch.org) but have never found any land records in Carleton County or Victoria County involving John Little (I might have missed it though - sometimes we can't see the forest witht the trees in the way etc). I was told by another descendant of John Little/Mary Maskall, that she had a land deed for John Little - Carleton County (I think). No idea why I can't find it at the archives.

Do you have any info on land that he might have owned in Carleton/Victoria County? It might help to determine exactly when he was in this part of the province.

Regards,
Jerry

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:06AM GMT
Jerry,

I've checked my computer and paper files and no mention of land owned by John or Mary Little.

The theory regarding John having a first wife is very plausible considering his age when marrying Mary Maskell in 1836.

Dale

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 6:49PM GMT
Hi, so glad to hear from you Dale. I was up in New Brunswick in mid Oct and rode down the St John River valley from Perth to Woodstock and was hoping to get to the Archives were you have left your research I believe, but you have answered my question about John Peter Levesque. I tried to look at the catholic church records (?) on ancestry last year and find a plausible person from River-de-loup but could not. Have you made any father back connections? Someone said he might be part indian? heard of this at all? (I am definitely part indain on my fathers side of the family).

On the little's all I can add, if that, is in Robert Searle's pamphlet (full of errors)he says the Littles moved to limestone around 1880 +_ I see Caribou you have listed. And they the whole gang, littles, searles, levesques etc. were all farmers and or particullarly cutting trees. Some of them lived around Moose mountian on the Canadian side of the border (there is a Moose mt on the US side also). Certianly the records have John Peter moving all around it seems. There is a picture of him standing with Susan in some large field somewhere in Canada. -Tom S.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 3:06AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 3:06AM GMT
Hi Tom,

I haven't had much success tracing John Peter Levesque back to QC. I do not speak french and the early records are in French. I did find several years ago a death record in early Caribou for an Amab Levesque who lived to be quite old who came from the same city as John Peter. Maybe a connection. According to the death record, Amab died March 15, 1915 in Caribou at the aged of 95. He previously resided in Connor, ME. He was born in Rivière-du-Loup. I've never heard that John Peter might have Indian ancestors. I imagine it's certainly possible.

Dale

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions