Search for content in message boards

John & Helen Rider

John & Helen Rider

Darla DeLaney (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Mar 2009 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: RIDER, SMITH, SMYTHE
Am Looking for any inf. on John RIDER who m. Helen SMITH or SMYTHE on 1 Nov. 1600 in Buckinghamshire . She was b. abt. 1579 in ______, England and he was b. ??? .
Please any help would be greatly appriciated :)
TIA, Darla

Capt. John Smith

Posted: 1 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2002 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: smith
I am searching for information on a John Smith thought to be from the Buckinghamshire, England. He is believed to have been married to an Allen, probably Barbara Allen or Anne Allen, circa 1650-1700. He is in Virginia, USA in the 1670-early 1700's. He may have been a ship captain and or ship owner hauling goods and people to Virginia in the 1690's to early 1700's and may have been associated with a William Smith (father or uncle etc.). John Smith is believed to have married Anne/Barbara Allen first then married possibly Elizabeth Thornton (likely of the William Thornton family). His descendants include children with the names of Anne Allen Smith, and several with the name of William Thornton Smith down through the mid 1800's.

A William Thornton Smith was in Amelia County, Va. in the early to mid 1740's where he owned property and where he died in Sept. 1749, married to Anne ____Smith. I have little info on him other than this.

The John Smith from England who married Babara/Anne Allen is thought to be the father of this William Thornton Smith and possibly another son named John Smith and possibly other children.

Would appreciate any information anyone might have on this Smith lineage.

Thank you,
Larry Smith

Re: Capt. John Smith

Posted: 5 Sep 2001 12:12AM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2003 1:35AM GMT
Hello Larry I saw your e-mail we just might be from the same family line Im also searching history on a ship capt known as comadore smith he settel in enporia Va on a peanut plantation ,, it was said he married his slave who came from some island the only infomation i have is he had a son name Sawney smith which was mygreat grand father , who married a women name julia which they called her Shoe and they had 12 kids the family can only remenber about 4 kids Dora , Lucy , Turner , william , which William Smith he is my grand father born around 1899 from VA he was there last kid later married Helen mason or More and moved to philadelphia pa, i have done some research and ran accross the name capt Henry Chancey smith in VA who also was a sea capt, who had a brother name William Smith they travel the sea together , which im trying to connect with him because My mother brother name is william chancey Smith . but i havent been able to , if you have any info to share I'll be glad to look it over .

Re: John & Helen Rider

Posted: 17 Jun 2003 7:35PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 4:31PM GMT
I realize you posted this many years ago but I have some information.John Rider b. June 25, 1582 in Northhamptonshire Eng. m Helen Smith b. 1579 in Newport Pagnell Buckinghamshire, Eng on Nov.1,1600. Children were Elizabeth, Samuel ( from whom I decend) John, Agnes and Mary.Johns father was William Rider b. 1552 in Newport Pagnell Buckingham Eng mother Alice England b. 1556 in same place. they married Oct 7, 1577
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions