Search for content in message boards

Need help please!!!!

Need help please!!!!

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Birth
My grandfather, Karl Ambros was born in Ritterswalde, Kreis Neisse, Germany on October 6, 1892.

I have written to most every office in Germany to obtain his birth certificate, but only get "No Record" responses.

I know that this area of Germany is now in Poland, but were those German records kept in Poland and never turned over to Germany?

Any information that someone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Patty

Re: Need help please!!!!

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2005 6:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Patty, vital records are not and never have been kept at either the national, state, or provincial level in Germany. In Germany, vital records are kept strictly at the LOCAL LEVEL. So when you say that you have written to "most every office in Germany", I would be very curious to know just what offices you wrote to. What offices did you think might have your grandfather's birth record? I personally can't imagine what offices you would have written to, in view of the fact that German vital records are kept strictly at the local level. So, like I said, I am very curious to know exactly what offices you wrote to.

As you may or may not be aware, following World War II, almost all of Germany lying east of the Oder and Neisse Rivers was given to Poland. The 12 million inhabitants of eastern Germany were thereupon expelled from their homes under absolutely horrific conditions. They had to leave everything behind. More than 2 million did not survive the ordeal. It was hell on earth. The Polish authorities then moved Poles in to repopulate eastern Germany.

Following the expulsion of the original German inhabitants in 1945/46 and the resettling of Germany's eastern territories with Poles, all the cities, towns, and villages were of course given new Polish names. Neisse is now known by the Polish name Nysa. Ritterswalde is now known by the Polish name Domaszkowice. Silesia's capital, the city of Breslau, is now known by the Polish name Wroclaw.

Eastern Germany's vital records are still where they always were. They were not turned over to Germany. Birth, marriage, and death records more than 100 years old have been transferred from the local Registry Offices to the nearest regional branch of the Polish State Archives.

Robert

Eleonore (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2005 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: BORKERT, HILLER, KMITTA, LANGER
Hi, have you tried at the Mormons LDS Libraries or website www.familysearch.org they did extensive filming of the Churchbooks in the former Schlesien/Silesian State.
when you log onto their website click onto IAG and enter the name of the town try it in German and then in Polish, if nothing comes up, then try 'Neisse' since that is a bigger city, you might get more films on it, but it most likely includes all the smaller villages around Kreis Neisse. Good Luck, Eleonore

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 8:44AM GMT
Hello Eleanor,

Just wanted to thank you for the information you provided.

I did go to the site, that you mentioned, and printed the pertinent information. Will head to the LDS Library tomorrow and order the reels.

It was nice that you took the time to care, because it was quite apparent that the "other" reply was filled with an unnecessary history class and a sarcastic attitude.

Take Care,
Patty

Re: Need help please!!!!/to Robert T.

Maria (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 8:59PM GMT
Hi Robert!

I`ve read Your post... I`m very surprised and (I confess...) irritated... I think that Ancestry is not the place where somebody can dispute about history - it is (rather) place of genealogical searching - but I can`t be silent... Therefore - short:
1.Silesia was always the polish land - to 1741 (the end of Austria-Prussia war) when Silesia got on probation (reign) of king of Prussia Friedrich II
2.the first rules of Silesia were polish kings and dukes from dynasty of Piast
3."Breslau" (german name) is the fonetic form of polish name of this town - Wroclaw; it stems from name of czech-duke Wrocislaw (or Wratyslaw), from 915-921 years p.Ch.
4.You`re writting that this Silesia "was given to Poland" after IIWW... No - this region was given back to Poland; in polish language is the name of this area "the Restored Lands"
5.You`re writting: "The 12 million inhabitants of eastern Germany were thereupon expelled from their homes under absolutely horrific conditions. They had to leave everything behind. More than 2 million did not survive the ordeal. It was hell on earth." YES! - it was tragedy but You forget that time of IIWW was a big hell and horror for Polish peoples! There were not Poles who began this war...
6.Neisse (Nysa) is old Polish (Piast-dynasty) town too

I recommend these sites to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piast_dynasty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Poland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wroclaw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nysa%2C_Poland

Maria (Poland)

Maria (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 9:45PM GMT
Hi Patty!

Neisse - it is town NYSA in Poland
Ritterswalde (Kreis Neisse) - it is the village Domaszkowice (powiat Nysa - district Nysa)
See this map:
http://www.pilot.pl/index.php3?z_city_id=6706&max_katalo...

I think that some documents from this region can be in State Archives in Wroclaw or Opole (on map: http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/?CIDA=178)

You can write e-mail to these archives (I think that e-mails can be in English):
sekretariat.@archiwum.opole.pl (to St.Arch. in Opole)
or to Wroclaw: wroclaw@ap.wroc.pl
You must write in e-mail: Your name, surname, the full address (with name of Your state) and Your question (data of ancestors)

But I think that some documents about district Nysa must be in St.Arch. in Opole rather (not in Wroclaw - but it is not certainly :)

In Poland there are (data on 1998y.) 198 persons which surname is Ambros. This is the web-site where You can write the surname in frame and see where are living these persons:
http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/indexslo.html
The abreviations means the names of provinces ("wojewodztwa") in Poland - click on the blue link-text: "Tutaj znajduja sie objasnienia skrotow". Today (on 2005y.) there are new names of province - several old provinces are united in one new.

Best regards!

Maria (Poland)

Patty Krise (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 10:41PM GMT
Hello Maria,

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I have really run into stumbling blocks trying to figure out a way to obtain my grandfather's birth certificate.

My grandfather was Catholic, and you mentioned a St. Arch in Opole. Is this a Catholic church?

I also read your e-mail to that "other" individual. Congratulations on speaking your mind. When I read his post, I felt that he was insulting my character, and making me out to be some stupid idiot who needed a history class, not to mention the fact that he was questioning my creditability, regarding the offices in Germany that I have written to.

Do you live in Poland?

Take Care,
Patty

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 11:47PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2006 10:11PM GMT
Patty (and Maria),

Don't get too worked up by pompous idiots - they exist in every country. However I do think it is time we accepted that amongst the millions of innocent people who suffered in WW2 there were very many Germans. There is no difference between a German baby and a Polish, German, French or any other sort of baby. None of them should suffer. In the heat of war many things happen which are a cause of shame to all sides, many Brits now have a great deal of remorse about things like the raid on Dresden, but the main thing is that most of Europe has been without a war for a long time now. This is not the place for history lessons as such, but some knowledge of the changes is necessary for anyone trying to sort out their ancestors - and at least we are free to communicate cross frontiers! Good luck with your searches.

Maria (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2005 2:22AM GMT
Hi Patty!

In Opole is Catholic Church - and protestant (evangelic) churches too.
But I think that You can`t ask for help in church parishes (offices) because in Poland is the practice (law) that all old documents which are older than 100 years - are send on to State Archives.

But is the possibilty that something can be in church-offices - but I think that it is small possibility :) Unless - You know the name of parish where Your ancestors lived... In this cause (I think) You could try to ask for searching in this (precisely) parish.

Is the other possibilty too - that Your ancestors took away their documents when they left Ritterswalde (Domaszkowice). Do You know if they left this village?

And about answer of Robert T.... I think that he wanted "well" :) - but he doesn`t know the history of Poland very well... I felt that he repeats stereotypes about the history of Silesia - and it hurt me... Because I`m Pole :)
Yes, I live in Poland :)

With sincerely to You -
- Maria from Poland

P.S.
Excuse me my grammar (and others) errors in English. I know - my English is not good.

Patty Krise (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2005 9:10AM GMT
Hello Maria,

There is no need to worry about your English grammar, because I have no problem comprehending what you are saying.

My grandfather was born in Ritterswalde, but later moved to Brieselang, Germany. It is a small town outside of Berlin.

When I wrote to the Standesamt I in Berlin, they said that, "This registry office keeps only books, on registers of birth, marriages and deaths, from the former East German Areas from the period of October 1, 1874 to May 8, 1945. I thought my problem was solved, because my grandfather's birth period was obviously in that time frame. Not so. They sent me a form letter, repeating the information I provided and also included a statement saying, "Birth Certificates of Karl Ambros and Johanna Brassat are not in the Registry Office of Standesamt I in Berlin. What a run around that was.

In February of this year, I sent an e-mail to Violetta Lipinska, who is at archiwa.gov.pl (the Polish Site), but she said I must write to the State Archive in Opole, the Roman Catholic Parish in Wierzbiecice, and the Diocese in Opole. And after I read that they could charge $30.00 an hour up, for the research, not including other fees, I just got discouraged.

Later, I met a Polish friend, online, who did research for me and he came up with different address information in different cities. Good grief. I feel like I'm going in circles, not accomplishing a darn thing.

I did go to the LDS Center, but the German "expert" is on vacation and no one knew how to assist me. Another frustrating moment.

Gosh, no wonder those genealogy people charge a fortune to take on that responsibility for research.

Anyway, have a great day and thank you for responding.

Take Care,
Patty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions