Search for content in message boards

Sorghum Flat Families 1880-1920

Sorghum Flat Families 1880-1920

Posted: 14 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: COURTNEY, BRITTENBURG, GREGORY, PRATER, WILLIAMS, SMITH, PRUITT, HARMON, MCLISH, MYERS, BRAWLEY
I would like to get a feel for which families lived in Sorghum Flats circa this timeframe. I have tied BRITTENBURG, MCLISH, COURTNEY, PRATER, MYERS, BRAWLEY families in from their famlies in this area. I am sure there are others. I would also like to better understand what life was like for these folks.

Sorghum Flats

Posted: 19 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GREGORY, COURTNEY, BRITTENBURG, PRATER, WILLIAMS, SMITH, Others
It is dificult for me to explain without quoting the words of the angel that helped me find this place. Thanks to Barbara Giddens for her description:

Sorghum Flats is in Murray county just south of Garvin county, Ok. Sorghum Flats was named for their abundance of sorghum cane for making molasses. It is located four miles north of Doughtery in Murray county, OK. All is left is a deserted Chapel and a old cemetery and now it is on private land that belongs to the Healey Brother's Ranch. Washita River is just west of it and I am thinking that in the old days you could cross the river to get to Prices Falls.

Where is Sorghum Flats ??

Jim Courtney (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Courtney, Prather
Where is Sorghum Flats ??, The Surnames listed above are in my family line.
Posted: 12 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MCLISH, BRITTENBURG, COURTNEY, SMITH
I have Maria Lucinda MCLISH (b1850 GA, d prob around DAvis OK) who married Don Alphonso COURTNEY aka BRITTENBURG (b1849 NE, d prob around Davis, OK). I show Maria's parents as Poly Ann ? and James Neeley MCLISH, both b MS or SC no dates. I show James Neeley MCLISH's parents as John MCLISH and Susan COLBERT.

I know a lot has been done on this family and Maria and Don are on the Dawes roll, which I have the packages for them and their kids. I haven't seen a clear picture of all the kids and all the wives of these perople to make sure I have it sorted out right. Can you help or point me in the right direction?

Which McLish are you asking about?

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McLish
My grandmother's maiden name is McLish. Which McLish are you asking about? I'd be happy to let you know any information.

Ella HARMON PHILLIPS

A.L. Davis (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HARMON, PHILLIPS, SMITH, ARNOLD
My gGrandmother,Ella M. HARMON,(born in Franklin County,AR and d.4 JUNE 1978 in Davis, Murray Co., OK) was married to James M. PHILLIPS (b.14 FEB 1871 in Greenville, SC). Both buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Davis, OK. They raised a big family in Davis,OK. Her mother's name was Mary Jane SMITH (from Franklin, AR)and her father,Alexander "Whit" HARMON, was a coal miner and farmed on Wild Horse Creek.

My maternal Grandfather (Jim and Ella M. HARMON PHILLIPS'son), James Edward Phillips, who was born 6 JUNE 1904 and died 27 MAY 1968 in Davis, Murray County, OK. is also buried in Green Hill Cemetery there. He was first married to my Grandmother, Edna Mae ARNOLD PHILLIPS (b.5 OCT 1903 in Deese, Indian Territory & d. 24 NOV 1982 in Ardmore, Carter County, OK)and they had two daughters, Virginia (my mother) and LaVeta (both born in Davis) who are both still living. His second wife was Gertrude PRUITT (deceased).

I was wondering which HARMONS, SMITHS, etc. that you have mentioned above and how are you related? Please email me at the address above if interested in exchanging more information.

Don A. BRITTENBURG

Surnames: BRITTENBURG, MCLISH, COURTNEY
I have a letter in my posession dated around 1921 where Aunt Lou and Uncle Don are still alive and living in the Davis area, but sick. I had assumed that this was a nickname for Maria Lucinda MCLISH, but now realize that I could have been wrong.

I do not have marriage records for Don and MAria, but their marriage was 1881 from a secondary source of their Dawes package.

I am very interested in sharing information with you. I have not seen her interview.

I show Don and MAria Lucinda's children as: Jim (b about 1883), Mary Ann, Norma S., Alice Magnolia. There are more children but I do not have names.

On the 1900 census:
215-2 Brittenberg, Don, head, white, male, July l849, 50 years old, married l9 years, born in AR, father in OH, mother in AR, farmer

Brittenberg, Mariah, wife, Indian, female, born July l855 in Indian Territory, 44 years old, married l9 years, father and mother both born in MS (9-5 children)

Note the 9 children, 5 living.

In the 1920 Murray Co., OK census shows:

Courtney, Don or Lon A. Head MW 70 NEB US ARK

Lousindy (?) Wife FW 70 GA SC SC

On the Dawes Roll:
Dawes Final Rolls
1 1383 178 Brittenburg Mary Ann 16 F 1-16 468 Chickasaws by Blood
1 1384 178 Brittenburg Norma S. 14 F 1-16 468 Chickasaws by Blood

1 386 209 Brittenburg Don A. 52 M I W 468 Chickasaws by Intermarriage
1 1382 178 Brittenburg James N. 19 M 1-16 468 Chickasaws by Blood

Please contact me via email. All I have is yours.

Don A. BRITTENBURG

A. L. Davis (View posts)
Surnames: BRITTENBURG, MARTIN, MINOR, ARNOLD
My ggGrandmother, (Martha)Lourinda H. MARTIN (Mrs. J. W. MINOR)was born 20 Mar 1849 in Gwinnett County, GA. Her second husband was Don A. BRITTENBURG, whom she married on 28 Sept 1905. She was living in Davis, Murray County, OK when she passed away in 1938 and is buried in Green Hill Cemetery. She was interviewed back in the 1930's by the WPA project for The Indian Territory Pioneer Papers. Do you know the marriage date and place for Don A. COURTNEY aka BRITTENBURG and Maria Lucinda MCLISH? What were their children's names, dates, and places of birth?

Harmons

Eula Rogers (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harmon, DeCourtney
I'm searching for relatives of Peter Harmon. I believe he had kinfolk in OK. I do not know his parents names. He was well known in Murray Co. Peter was born 16 may, 1864 in Menard co. IL. Died 1 Dec. 1934 at Davis, OK. He married Mary Angeline DeCourtney B. 13 June 1866 I.T. OK. d. 11 May 1947. Both buried in Greenhill cemetery, Davis OK. They had seven children. Peter had relatives by name of Carl Harmon and Charley Reed who lived in Poolville, Carter co. OK. in 1934. My mother's cousin, Carrie Edna DeCourtney, was born in or near Sorghum Flats, OK. in 1907.
If anyone has information concerning any of these people please email me. Thanks! Eula M. Rogers

OLD CEMETERY ON HEALEY BROTHER's LAND IN MURRAY COUNTY

Posted: 24 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Brawley, Brahley, Braly
Hoping that someone reading these messages will live close enough to look at the OLD CEMETERY there on the HEALEY brother's land to see if there is a JOHN A. BRAWLEY, (BRAHLEY, BRALY) buried there. He must have died sometime around the turn of the century, maybe before the turn of the century. This man was MARRIED to ROSE PRATER. He died as a result of FALLING off of a LOG in the RIVER. It could have been near WASHITA by PRICEs FALLS. Maybe someone lives near THIS or OTHER old cemeteries in the area of Garvin Co. Murray Co., Sorghum Flats area, Daughtery, Washita or Price Falls that could take a look at the cemeteries to see if a JOHN A. Brawley (or varients of the name) could possibly be buried there. I would really appreciate any help, as I need to find this poor lost fellow, he is an important link in my family and no one seems to be able to find anything about him or where he was buried. Thanks for any help. Carolyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions