Search for content in message boards

? Herrick Cemetery, Schools, area Churches, Newspaper in Herrick SD

? Herrick Cemetery, Schools, area Churches, Newspaper in Herrick SD

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any information about Herrick Cemetery in Herrick, SD. ie: How to get there, the address, who is caretaker, where the records would be???

I am searching for Charles F. McNamara B: 1892 D: 1917 (?) son of David Dennis McNamara and Mary Emma Livey. David and Emma lived in Herrick in 1920, later moved to Bonesteel. The have other children: Ruth Irene married Peter Finn, Earl D (never married), John William (Never married), Mary Hazel married George Pittman, Mabel A (twin sister of Hazel, never married, became nun and took name Sr. Mary Amy. John William would have been 14, the family lived in the area for several years so John would have attended a school there. They were a strong catholic family so would have attended a catholic church in the area.

Charles Francis is my Great Grandfather from my Great Grandfather's obit I have a date of death for him of Nov 28, 1917. I'm thinking he may be buried in Herrick Cemetery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Johanna

Re: ? Herrick Cemetery, Schools, area Churches, Newspaper in Herrick SD

Posted: 5 May 2009 5:00AM GMT
Try contacting the Gregory County Register of Deeds -

Jerry Peterson
PO Box 437
County Courthouse
Burke, SD 57523-0437
Phone: (605) 775-2664

Email: Sodakpete@Hotmail.Com

Posted: 6 May 2009 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: McNamara, Reimhold, Spitzenberger, Skalla, Koenig
http://files.usgwarchives.org/sd/gregory/cemetery/stmarys.tx... this shows David McNamara’s burial.

Herrick is a very small community today and much of it is returning to prairie. The sources I am able to touch easily find no other McNamara burials but that doesn't mean there aren't anymore in Gregory County.

I think I have already shared Joseph Matthew McNamara information with you that I believe is the same family you are looking for but maybe a few generations back. If I am wrong, contact me.

Have you tried searching through "Find A Grave" - it looks like they have some researchers on the ground in Gregory County (I'm in Arkansas - I grew up in Gregory County).

Posted: 6 May 2009 8:58PM GMT
Thank you so much for your response.

I do have the burial information for David McNamara. A few years ago I contacted St Mary's Cemetery and they did send me all the information they had on David which is how I found the name of his parents.

My quest began in search of burial information for my Great Grandfather, Charles Francis Mcnamara. He was suppose to have died 1917. I thought by chance since his parents, David and Emma were living in Herrrick (Union) SD at the time of his death, that he might be burried there. I have check thru all the records I could find and search thru "Find A Grave" as well but alass I am still hitting a brick wall when it comes to Charles.

The Joseph McNamara in my family died in Omaha, NE shortly after birth. He was my uncle.

Since you grew up in Gregory maybe you can point me in another direction. At the time of my great grandfather's death he was residing in the Bonesteel area, I'm trying to get my hands on his obituary. Any suggestions? I've contacted the newspaper directly both by phone and in letter but they do not respond. Also, my great great uncle John was 15 years old in 1920 and was a student. I assume he went to the area school. Any suggestions on how to find a year book or pictures?

I was hoping my Great Great Grandfather's obituary would lend additional clues to his parents, siblings, what happened to my Great Grandfather. I'm thinking his obit may possibly be the missing link in solving my puzzle. Given the strong Catholic history and beliefs, I find it hard to believe that David Dennis was an only child.

Would you possibly have contact information for anyone within the Gregory County Genelogical Society?

Would you happen to know of the Catholic Churches in that area? Specifically, the church that would have ordained an OP Dominican nun? I know one of Charles's sisters was married in Bonesteel in 1922 and I think she would have been married in the church.

I live outside of Cincinnati, OH now but am thinking I may have to throw in the towel and make a trip to Bonesteel.

Any additional assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you so much!
Joei

Posted: 6 May 2009 9:59PM GMT
Surnames: McNamara, Spitzenberger,
I'm running into a few clues. The Catholic church of Bonesteel, SD had a women's society known as "The Saint mary's Alter Society". In 1954, Mrs. Katherine (Oscar) Spitzenberger was secretary-treasurer. Katherine's maiden name was McNamara. I also have some articles on Katherine's schooling - a class photo with individual pictures including her of her graduating class, several of her in school organizations. If Katherine is of any interest to you, I can get you this information via e-mail. At this point, I don't have information other that the story on Joseph Matthew McNamara and his family - I strongly suspect this is part of your family since you have a Joseph in later generations close to you. I am just getting started with my digging and have some additional resources. A classmate of mine from Fairfax is active in the Fairfax (Fairfax and Bonesteel are only 5 miles apart) Catholic church and might be a good source since she is active in the local Historical society and on the ground in Gregory County.

Posted: 6 May 2009 10:00PM GMT
Surnames: McNamara, Spitzenberger, Skalla, Koenig
I'm running into a few clues. The Catholic church of Bonesteel, SD had a women's society known as "The Saint mary's Alter Society". In 1954, Mrs. Katherine (Oscar) Spitzenberger was secretary-treasurer. Katherine's maiden name was McNamara. I also have some articles on Katherine's schooling - a class photo with individual pictures including her of her graduating class, several of her in school organizations. If Katherine is of any interest to you, I can get you this information via e-mail. At this point, I don't have information other that the story on Joseph Matthew McNamara and his family - I strongly suspect this is part of your family since you have a Joseph in later generations close to you. I am just getting started with my digging and have some additional resources. A classmate of mine from Fairfax is active in the Fairfax (Fairfax and Bonesteel are only 5 miles apart) Catholic church and might be a good source since she is active in the local Historical society and on the ground in Gregory County.

Posted: 7 May 2009 1:31AM GMT
Hi Joe,

I would love to have everything you have on any and all McNamaras. Thanks for doing all the checking for me. I'm so happy to hear you're still in touch with people in the Gregory area. It's sure a big help. Being in Ohio only allows me to write letters and make telephone calls. I've learned, personal connections make a big difference! You can send what you have to my email joeibeyer@cinci.rr.com Again I thank you so very very much!

Warmest Regards,
Joei
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions