Search for content in message boards

Bürgi/Berkey DNA Project

Bürgi/Berkey DNA Project

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 6:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bürgi, Berkey
I have recently created a DNA project for direct patrilineal descendants of anyone with the surname Bürgi, which seems to be the case for most who currently carry the "Berkey" surname. Even if you don't have proof that you descend from anyone with that name exactly, if you think your surname could possibly be a variant of it, you are encouraged to join!

It is a Y-DNA project, so only men can test; any women wishing to participate will need a male relative who also descends directly on the paternal line from the Bürgis to test. You can test through Ancestry and then join the group; that will add the results to the group automatically. Or, if you test through another company (like Family Tree DNA), it is possible to manually enter your results.

We do have some preliminary results: descendants of Ulrich Bergey, an early Mennonite immigrant to America, match one another and have the haplogroup R1b1b2a1a2c; descendants of John Burcky, a later Mennonite immigrant to America, and descendants of Hugh Parkey, a suspected descendant of earlier Mennonite immigrants to America, match one another and have the haplogroup I2*.

The project is located here: http://groups.ancestry.com/group/burgi

Re: Bürgi/Berkey DNA Project

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Berkey, Weddell, Blauch (Blough) Hasty, Munson, Gunter, Mosher
I have mitchondrial DNA results for myself. Any DNA project for Berkey women?

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 4:17PM GMT
At the moment, no mtDNA project... not sure how useful it would be anyway, considering that mtDNA maps to the matriline rather than the patriline. If there is enough interest, we can collaborate to start one, but it seems unlikely that anybody would match.

I do recall you mentioning Leonard Burgi, though... we really need Y-DNA from a male who descends directly on the paternal line from Leonard. Know of anybody? :)

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 4:39PM GMT
My Brother is a direct descendant, but don't know if he'd spend the money to do it. I'll ask.

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 4:09PM GMT
We are still in need of a patrilineal descendant of Leonard Bürgi (1675-?) who is said to have married Anna Catherine Facesh, via any of his sons. I believe the following sons are known: Jacob (ca. 1710-1764) and Christian (ca. 1715-ca. 1797), both of whom are said to have immigrated to America. Anybody interested? If so, let me know, I can facilitate the process. Getting Y-DNA from a descendant of Leonard Bürgi could be extremely helpful in placing the stray branches, along with other insight.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: Berkey
I have two sons... Line:My sons, David, John, Dory, Cyrus, Daniel and that is where I am not sure. But feel certain their line goes to either Christain or Jacob. But I have conflicting info. Can you help?

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Berkey
Hi,

I also have a ton of Berkey relatives. I also have info that may help you. Contact me directly at photogskh@aol.com.

Sincerely,
Sally Huntley

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 3:34PM GMT
Consensus for ancestry beyond Daniel Berkey, father of Cyrus, goes: Daniel (m. Susanna Ripple), John (m. Susanna Whipkey), Jacob, Leonard. Where does the doubt arise on this line? Are we not sure that Daniel, father of Cyrus, is son of Daniel, husband of Susanna Ripple? (Incidentally, this is an interesting coincidence... I descend from Susanna Ripple's sister, Elizabeth, on a totally different side of my family. Small world.)

Of course, if you want to be more sure, there's a good chance a DNA test will help. An Ancestry.com 33 marker Y-DNA test or an FTDNA 37 marker Y-DNA test would be best.

Check out Ancestry's offer here (you want "Paternal Lineage DNA Test, Y-Chromosome 33"): http://dna.ancestry.com/buyKitGoals.aspx

FTNDA's offer here (you want "Y-DNA37"): http://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 3:53PM GMT
I have since purchased a Berkey Book (Green One) and think I have those original issues worked out, but where did Leonard come from. It there any documentation for him. Also found a Jacob Burgi arrived Sept 30 1743 on the ship Robert & Alice, Comdr Martly Cussack. Anyone know him?

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:31PM GMT
I'm not an expert on original source documents for 17th and 18th century Mennonites (is there anyone here who is?), but I can say with certainty that this Bürgi (also spelled Bürki, Beirki, and other ways) family were Swiss Mennonites. The surname Bürgi/Bürki simply doesn't occur very frequently outside of Switzerland, and the "Bürki" variant in particular really only occurs in Bern canton. There was a famous Swiss Bürki who came from Langnau-im-Emmental named Hans Bürki: http://www.captivefaith.org/post-reformation/burki.php

Langnau-im-Emmental, Switzerland is a pretty good guess for where Leonard came from, if anyone can't produce evidence suggesting otherwise. There's no evidence that I'm aware of, however, that Leonard came to America... only his sons Christian and Jacob seem to have done so. He may have ended up in Alsace, considering that several other Bürki descendants (including one I match DNA with) came to America or Canada about 100 years later from Alsace, although these Bürki descendants can't trace their genealogy back so far to be able to show whether or not they descend from Leonard. That's why the DNA Project still needs someone who traces their patrilineal genealogy to either Jacob or Christian!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions