Search for content in message boards

Death of Jane Edward, Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Death of Jane Edward, Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Posted: 9 May 2009 8:30PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Edward; Edwards; Gauld; Gould
I have no connection to the following family, however I have submitted the information in case it is of assistance to someone else.

The Buchan Observer, Friday, May 25, 1866

MELANCHOLY DEATH OF A YOUNG WOMAN AT HUNTLY – In our obituary of to-day we record the death of the youngest daughter of Mr Edwards, farmer, Wellheads, Huntly, which occurred in a distressing and somewhat sudden way. Deceased laboured under a disease which strongly affected her nervous system, and any sudden excitement or fright would have been quite certain to accelerate her death. Last Tuesday week, at night, she and her elder sister were returning from setting a friend part of her way home. When about midway between Mill of Airtlach and Wellheads, a figure in white suddenly jumped up before them on the road-side. The poor girl was excessively frightened, and clinging to her elder sister, who was not so easily affected, at last turned and ran the whole way back to Mill of Airtlach, to which place she was followed by her sister. The poor young woman, when she did get home, was unable to rise, and she continued to sink rapidly, although receiving every medical assistance, until Tuesday last, when she died. The man who frightened her is believed to be a labourer or hawker named Alexander Matthew, who is presently undergoing ten day’s imprisonment for stealing a pair of blankets from the house of a slater in Huntly. It is supposed that he had wrapped himself up in the blanket, and thus made the hideous figure of himself which had so frightened the unfortunate young woman. The case – which, we believe, is presently in the hands of the Procurator-Fiscal – is all the more painful, considering that an early day had been fixed for the marriage of the poor young woman, and that the guests had been invited. – Huntly Express.

(Notes: James Edward married Ann Gould or Gauld 23 May 1837, Huntly, Aberdeenshire. Children: Ann Edwards b. 1838; Helen Edwards b. 1841; Alexander Edwards b. 1843; Jane b. 1845; and Mary b. 1847, all Huntly, Aberdeenshire.

1866 Deaths in the Parish of Huntly in the County of Aberdeen

No. 39; Jane Edward, Farmer’s Daughter, single, died 1866, May Fifteenth at 3h 30m pm at Wellheads, Huntly, female, age 20 years. Parents: James Edward, Farmer & Ann Edward ms Gauld. Cause of death: (blank). Informant: Alexander Edward, Brother. Registered 1866, May 21st at Huntly by John Macdonald, Registrar. (See Reg. of Corrected Entries Vol. 1, p. 20, dated 1 June 1866.)

Re: Death of Jane Edward, Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Posted: 10 May 2009 7:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Alison
I wish to thank you for taking the time to post this message. Jane Edward(s) was a sister of Mary M. Edward(s) 1847-1916 who was my Great Grandmother. Mary married John Hay in 1865.
I had found the death notice for Jane, and have been confused by the lack of a "cause of death" , you have solved a mystery for me. I will add this information to my tree.
Thank you again for taking the time to help someone else.
Carole Barron
California USA

Posted: 10 May 2009 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Edward
Hi Carole

Thank you for taking the time to tell me that the information has been of some help.

I never know whether or not to post some of the articles that I come across and it was nice to hear that in this case it had been of some assistance.

Alison

Posted: 13 May 2009 8:42PM GMT
Dear Alison
It is very nice of you to post information to help others. My father was from Banff Scotland, immigrated to the USA in 1923, I was born in New YOrk State, and now live in California. All fo my research has been on line and in the Family History library at the local Church. I have found some newspaper references and have obtained some death notices from the local papers there. I have not heard of the Buchan Observer, is it from Huntly? I envision you sitting in a dusty dark basement reading 150 year old newspapers... How do you have access to the arcives?? Is it online?? Thank you for sharing this information.
Carole Barron
cbarron10@verizon.net
California

Posted: 13 May 2009 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: Edward
Hi Carole

The Buchan Observer is for the Buchan area of Aberdeenshire - namely Peterhead, Fraserburgh and including slightly south of Peterhead and roughly twenty miles inland.

The mental image that I now have of myself sitting in a dark and dusty basement is quite funny. Actually I sit in one of two (nice, well lit and airy) libraries which I use and look at microfilm! I am also a part-time history student which allows me to access information online which is not available to the general public. Unfortunately the archives to the newspapers like the Buchan Observer are not available online and you can only look at them via microfilm.

The newspaper for the Huntly area would have been the Huntly Express - and microfilm is available for this commencing 9 July 1864 through (I believe) to June 1994. There are numerous editions of newspapers available on microfilm for the Aberdeenshire area - some dating back to mid 18th century - although I would warn you some of them are not easy to read.

I put some of the information which I come across online hoping to help others with information that they wouldn't normally be aware of. I became interested in old newspapers a number of years ago after a similar story to Jane Edward - our ancestor's death certificate didn't give a cause for the death. Purely by chance a short time later I looked at microfilm for a newspaper for some other information and came across a detailed article concerning the death of our ancestor who had committed suicide by hanging himself on his four-poster bed. A death certificate could not have given me the same amount of detail which I got from reading that article. I realised how much information was hidden from a lot of people and began to put the occasional article online.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the information contained within the article for Jane.

Alison

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 1:44AM GMT
Carole. Hi. My name is Carol Mongeon Jamison. My aunt was Helen Decker. She was my dad's (Leonard Mongeon) sister. This may seem silly, but while watching the Olympics and an informercial of 60's Pop music, it brought back memories of time spent at my Aunt's with her daughters Kathy and Mary Jane. Do you know them or how I could reconnect? My email is carol_jamison@earthlink.net.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions