Search for content in message boards

Isaac Peavey/ Ala, La Tx

Isaac Peavey/ Ala, La Tx

Posted: 27 Mar 2004 1:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peavy, Sims, Butler, Meador
I am searching for parents and children of Isaac Peavy born about 1797 in Ga. Later moved to Butler Co, Ala. some members of family moved to Jackson Parish La between 1850-1860. Later moved to Nacogdoches, Texas and Angelina County Texas. I believe children were DJ, Mary Ann, Herbert, Augusta and George. I believe Mary Ann married a Sims, Augusta a Butler, DJ a Meador. Anny information would be appreciated.

Re: Isaac Peavey/ Ala, La Tx

Leon Hudson (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2004 8:57PM GMT
Hi Carolyn,

Our Peavey/Peavy/Pevy lines seem to be paralleling each other on the migration westward. My ancestors were Allen and Katherine Peavy with a 10 month old son Abram G A Peavy showing on the 1850 U.S. Census for Alabama.

Then I find Abram G A Peavy marrying Sarah L. Murphy in Minden, Louisiana and his name is showing on the certificate as Allen Pevy. Their son, Allen E. Peavy born in Minden, marries Beatrice West and the family ends up in Texas. Van Zandt County and Dallas, Texas both.

I think Allen Peavy, father of Abram, was born in Georgia about 1818 but can't really read the state on the 1850 Census. However, Allen is listed as being 31 years old and a farmer.

There was an Aunt Kate, Uncle Burrell (or Monroe), and others listed in the 1880 US Census.

I wonder if there is a connection as in cousins or marriage between two families that might help us get further back. My mother told me the Peavy family came out of the Carolinas.

Sincerely,
Leon Hudson

Posted: 5 Jul 2004 9:52PM GMT
Isaac Peevey/Peavy is my brick wall. From family members I have learned that he had a daughter Mary Ann Peevey who married a James Lindsay in La, then moved to Nacogdoches Texas. She had siblings, Herbert, Augusta who married a Jim Butler, James Dial, my great grandfather and a George. Also mentioned are the states of Ala, Ga, and La. James Dial married Dora Meador. If you run across any of these names please let me know. Most of them were in Nacogdoches and Angelina county Texas. Thank you

Jerry Fidler (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2004 12:21AM GMT
My great grandfather was Issac Y. Peavy. He was born Jan. 25, 1823 in Hancock (County?), GA and he died April 8, 1903 in Dooly County, GA. He was married to Mary Ann Holt and they had 12 children. I don't know if this is the same Issac Peavey that you referred to. Issac Y.'s great great grandfather, Abraham Peavy was from Orange County, NC, but he died in Butler County, AL. I can't help but think there must be a connection somewhere to the Peavey's you are referring to.

carolyn pierce (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2004 12:09PM GMT
I think so also. Butler Co. was one of the counties mentioned also Cass Co. and Barstow co. My great grandfathers name was either Dial James or James Dial. On census record and Marriage license he lists himself as D. J. My mother said people called him Dank. Thank you for answering .

Leon Hudson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2004 4:47AM GMT
Hi,

Will do. However, at this point none of these names are familiar.

Good hunting,
Leon

Abraham & Descendants--Your Isaac Y. Peavey--GA

Janell Jones Goss (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2004 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: PEAVY/PEAVEY/PEVY/PEEVY, HADEN/HAYDEN, JOHNSTON
Jerry, I noticed in your response that your Isaac Y. Peavey was the grt grandson of Abraham, b. Orange co., NC. Please tell me which son he is from. My grt grt grt grandfather was Abraham, through his son Michael, or "Mchail", b. ca 1800 in GA. Abraham & family came to Butler co, AL ca 1818 with Michael moving into Coosa co. ca 1840. Michael's sons, Walter & Andrew Jackson "Jack", came to north LA but not until 1866. Can't see how the earlier LA Peavy/Pevy ties connect. Thanks, Janell

Re: Abraham & Descendants--Your Isaac Y. Peavey--GA

Jerry Fidler (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2004 12:17AM GMT
Issac Y. Peavy in our line was the son of Eli, who was the son of Abraham, who was the son of Dyal.

Re: Abraham & Descendants--Your Isaac Y. Peavey--GA

carolyn pierce (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2004 1:13PM GMT
thank you

Posted: 5 Nov 2004 4:46AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2005 4:34AM GMT
Carolyn,

Haven't checked the board recently so just saw your message.

I noticed the name James Dial in your query. Dial is an old Peavy, Peavey, Pavey name going back to Warren County Georgia, Orange County North Carolina and Sussex County Deleware. There was a Dial Sr., Dial Jr and Dial-son-of-Joseph living close together in Warren County in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Dial Sr. died in 1814 and the rest of a large clan, including Dial Jr and Dial soj scattered in the late 18teens. Because Dial is an unusual name, I'd bet your James Dial indicates ancestery of this group of Peavys. I've got bunch of info on Dial Sr et. al. and would be glad to share it with you. You can email me directly at hpeavy@moscow.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions