Search for content in message boards

Lt. Col. John Kennedy - Buffs

Lt. Col. John Kennedy - Buffs

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 10:52PM GMT

Re: Lt. Col. John Kennedy - Buffs

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 3:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Dec 2005 5:29PM GMT
As the commanding officer of the 2nd Battalion there should certainly be some information about him at the regimental museum.

Since it was reorganised and renamed in 1881, The Buffs [East Kent Regiment] has undergone several amalgamations in 1935, 1961, 1966 and 1992 such that it has now become part of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires). As a result there are several museums that are associated with the regiment.

You can follow the links to see the amalgamations starting from the regiments page of The Land Forces of Britain, the Empire and Commonwealth web site regiments.org at http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/003Buffs.htm#history .
On that page you will see that a in 1937 a Maj-Gen. Sir John Kennedy, GBE, CB, CMG, DSO was certainly associated with the regiment [but with missing section title I can't say in what capacity] whether or not it is the same one you seek needs to be firmly established.

A web search for - Sir John Kennedy obituary - gives more details about him in the 1st item, but not a copy of what appeared in The Times in June 1970. [note how the awards after his name have changed]

In the first instance I should contact Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment museum, click on the (Army Museums Ogilby Trust) link for email address and ask if they have any record of your John Kennedy associated with the Buffs and seek confirmation of it being the same one who became Major General.

Good luck

Re: Lt. Col. John Kennedy - Buffs

Susan Kennedy (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2004 9:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kennedy, Lt. Col. John circa. 1925 Buffs, 2nd Batt.
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your advice, sadly I have in the past gone directly to the source, then Canterbury and spoken to people there....I am going back about 20 years now! In the end they told me that they could not let me have the information that I needed because I was not a next of kin. So nearly 20 years down the line and its almost the last piece of the jigsaw that I can't check out!
But I will go through the advice you give me and perhaps as infomation is easier to get hold of now, the laws are a little different, its alwasy possible that SKP will tell me.
The obituary in 1970 is for a John Noble Kennedy, and I think that is a different person.
Many thanks,
Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic