Search for content in message boards

Generations, uds file extension

Generations, uds file extension

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2002 12:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a file sent with a uds extension which I believe is for the Generations program. Is there someone who would convert this file to GEDCOM format for me? Thank you

Re: Generations, uds file extension

Posted: 31 Jan 2002 6:48PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2002 7:07PM GMT
Another lady had exactly the same problem, and got it solved, just a week or two ago on another forum. Go to
http://genforum.genealogy.com/computers/messages/2270.html

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 4:23AM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2005 4:08AM GMT
Ted:

The post at Genealogy.com didn't actually explain *how* she got the file converted though... She must have received direct email assistance or solved it on her own.

Does anyone have a method of converting .uds files to PAF, GEDCOM or anything else?

Best regards, Michael (Ottawa, Canada)

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 4:33AM GMT
As a followup to my previous post, I should add that support for the "Generations" product line (which had been ailing for some time under Sierra) was acquired by Genealogy.com in May or June 2002.

This information was posted on the "genealogy@sierra.home" message board....

Michael (Ottawa, Canada)

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 3:31PM GMT
In general what you have to do with any proprietary file format is find someone who has the program. Assuming it is a lady, you send her the file, she uploads it as a new data base, then downloads it as a GEDCOM and sends it back to you. She also either gloats over all the family secrets revealed or deletes the data.

You might ask the lady in the link how she did it. If it was as I suspect, she may still have the address of the person who has a copy of Generations. Genealogy.com technical support may offer the service, if they have taken over Generations.

Posted: 18 Aug 2002 3:17AM GMT
Thanks, Ted. I've been unable to find any conversion tools/utilities that can extract anything more than a list of names.

I'll follow your advice!

Regards, Michael (Ottawa, Canada)

Posted: 7 Nov 2002 11:48PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2005 2:05AM GMT
Linda -- did you ever get your uds file converted? I use Generations and will happily do it for you. Send me an email if you want.

Posted: 3 Dec 2007 9:14PM GMT
I have the same problem as Linda. Could you help me?

Posted: 3 Dec 2007 10:50PM GMT
Gee, I'm sorry... I quit using Generations when it no longer worked with my (then) new Windows XP machine. At the time, I upgraded to The Master Genealogist (TMG) because they were the only ones who could import a Generations file. I've since moved on to another program, but still keep TMG up to date. I see that that are STILL the only ones who'll do a direct import from Generations, but as I recall, I had to do a LOT of clean up to get my files back in good order.

Good luck!

Posted: 3 Nov 2008 4:46PM GMT
Hi,
It has been a number of years since you offered to convert a .uds file for Linda.

If you still have the "Generations" program would you mind converting a .usd file for me to .gen format? The size of the file is 326KB.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and I thank you in anticipation.

Respectfully,

Bruce Crampton

per page

Find a board about a specific topic