Married Cousins giving me a headache

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
This post was deleted by the author on 19 Mar 2014 10:39AM GMT

Re: Married Cousins giving me a headache

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 7:49PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2014 7:51PM GMT
You want to pull a "List of All People" (your A-Z) view, do this in a second tab of your browser. Learn to work with several tabs open to different pages on Ancestry. When you make a change on one tab page, the other tab pages need to be refreshed to update the change.

The merge process (on the individuals profile page) tells you which profile is already selected (the box on the left side of the page); choosing the one you want to merge it with is straightforward.

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 8:20PM GMT
Thanks, I just went through my a-z and found some duplicates and merged them. Back on my tree view there are still two of each cousins all side by side. As well as two John Hawkins (Marys dad). Its a headache to look at but flicking to the a-z now non of the people duplicated are duplicated on the list. Also on tree view I clicked on Sally Clatworthy who appears to have two husbands called John Hawkins but her profile only shows one.
Going to carry on having a fiddle about, I just managed to get rid of the extra John Hawkins. Flicking between three tabs while typing this:)
Thanks for your help

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 8:44PM GMT
I sort one problem and something else appears. Now have someone further up the tree has two husbands, exact same name and details but if I try and merge them there no duplicate coming up and no duplicate on the a-z. I don't want to delete one incase both disappear because according to my list I only have one person matching. aarrgghhh

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 8:53PM GMT
Ok, went for it on the delete and it was fine, Phew. All looks fine now. Lets hope it stay that way when I log back in tomorrow.

Posted: 20 Feb 2014 2:12AM GMT
Be very careful about complete deletions if there is no duplicate showing in the A-Z list - that may mean that the issue is with the display capabilities of the tree, which can cause people to appear in more than one position if they had multiple relationships (e.g., as cousin and also spouse).

Posted: 20 Feb 2014 7:58AM GMT
Hi, thanks. I think that's what happened the first time I mentioned, when a person and the rest of their line disappeared. Luckily it was all still attached to another relative.
There wasn't much history or any sources to lose on the one last night. So I wrote down the info and went for it. Luckily it was fine and everything is still looking good this morning. I'm wondering if it may happen again as I'm moving through the tree because of the Multi relationship, like you said. If it does I'll just have to check my a-z list again for any duplicates and if there are none, just put up with the confusion. Don't want to lose any sources.
Thanks for your advise.

Posted: 12 Mar 2014 3:46PM GMT
What often happens is that the same person is linked twice on the relations tab of the profile card. So if a person is showing the same husband twice and it won't let you merge duplicates, that is the cause. Simply hit Edit for the person, then go to the relationship tab and delete ONE of the relationships.

Posted: 12 Mar 2014 5:06PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. Its sorted now and I hope it wont happen again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic