Search for content in message boards

Chief William Shelton & Ruth Sehome (Siastenu) Shelton

Chief William Shelton & Ruth Sehome (Siastenu) Shelton

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 2:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shelton, Sehome
While researching "The Sheltons" I came across this and found it to be interesting and would like to prove kinship with him.
William Shelton (1869-1938) is the last hereditary chief of the Snohormish Indian tribe in Tualip, Washington. He was also an author, a noble sculptor, and an emissary between the Snohomish people and the United States Government, During his lifetime, Shelton was one of the few Snohomish Indians to speak both English (which he learned when he enrolled himself in a mission school) and Lushootseed, the language of the Coast Salish Indians. During his lifetime, Shelton carved a number of story poles (often called totem poles) very few of them still remain. One of those remaining story poles was cut in half after it began to rot. The top half now stands on the grounds of the Tualip Elemetery School.............Shelton, died in 1938, one of the poles was not completed the 71 foot pole was finished by members of his tribe. The pole stands on the grounds of the state capitol Olympia, Washington. Shelton was married to Ruth Sehome Shelton (Siastenu) who survived him by 20 years until Oct. 4, 1958. Ruth was a fluent speaker of Chinook, a trade lingo derived from French, English and Native American Language.

Re: Chief William Shelton & Ruth Sehome (Siastenu) Shelton

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 5:14AM GMT
Went out to the Northwest several years ago, and I think the town is Puyallup--it is just outside Tacoma. We did see some carved "totems" that were really fascinating. I love Washington State!! I think my gg grandfather Jacob was probably a sister to the Orren who married the Shelton. I have traced him back to Lincoln County, NC (born 1784) to my satisfaction and am relatively sure that there was no connection with the John Orren in Rockingham unless it was further back than 1784 (more like 1750). Still need to get to Lincoln to do some research, but I think the Rockingham Orrens ended up in Mississippi and some of them in Ohio. The Orrens in Wilson County TN say they think they are descended from the Rockingham Orrens, and I am in agreement with that, as that is what I decided when I was trying to make a connection, but I have never been able to tie my branch in with that one. You might look for a Jacqueline Orren on the web--I understand she is in Wilson County. Nancy

Re: Chief William Shelton & Ruth Sehome (Siastenu) Shelton

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 11:16AM GMT
THANKS.....Appreciate that,,,will check into it....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic