Search for content in message boards

Stellmacher Family

Stellmacher Family

Gerald Stonerock (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2004 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stellmacher (Stillmaker)
Hello; I am seeking information on Karl August Herman Stellmacher b. in or near Brandenburg 1860. He also had sisters Lena (Stellmacher) Mazarski and Matilda (Stellmacher) Arndt. Possibly brothers Frank and William or Wilhelm. All except he stayed in Germany. He emmagrated to the United States in 1887? settling in the Toledo, Ohio area and eventually ending up in Midland, Michigan. He was a naturalized citizen 1900-1910? and passed away February 3, 1933 in Clio, Michigan at the home of one of his daughters and her family. Can anyone help me in tracing my German G.G. Grandfather? I have been unable to find his name on a ships passenger list for 1885-1887. It is possible that his name was mis-spelled enroute to America as 'Stillmaker'? Please if you can; help trace this ancestor... I have run into a dead end here in the States! Thankyou; Gerald

Re: Stellmacher Family

Siegfried Rambaum (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2004 2:00PM GMT
> I have been unable to find his name on a ships passenger list for 1885-1887.

It would have been EXTREMELY helpful, if you had mentioned WHERE you had looked for him as a passenger. If you checked the "Germans to America" series, then you probably should not be surprised that you did not find him. For the why, see http://www.uni-oldenburg.de/nausa/pitfal.htm

> It is possible that his name was mis-spelled enroute to America as 'Stillmaker'?

It is a possibility, but why should he be misspelled?

For some vague idea about the area of where your ancestor probably could have been from, check http://db.genealogy.net/cgi-bin/neumark.pl?name=Stellmacher&...=

Gerald (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2004 11:28AM GMT
Thankyou Siegfried;
I searched on passenger lists (online) for his name during that time frame. I found a number of Stellmacher names listed but; not his.
The reason I thought his name might be mis-spelled was that I found local birth records, land maps and census records with spellings of 'Stillmacher & Stillmaker' as well as Stellmacher.
I was hoping to have a Stellmacher family (in Germany) read my posting and respond so that I might mail them a copy of the information that I have to compare with their history. When I sent information to an address that I found in a 'Genealogy' book here it was returned "Undeliverable...Address Not Known!"
Thankyou for your response & Have a 'Great Day', Gerald

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2004 2:10PM GMT
Gerald, just one question:

You say that Karl August Hermann Stellmacher was born "in or near" Brandenburg in 1860. Does the "or near" mean that you believe he might have been born in a Prussian province other than Brandenburg?

Robert

Gerald (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2004 3:24PM GMT
Hi Robert;
I think that it may be possible. The information I got about Brandenburg came from an older relatives memory. She said that the family came from that area outside Berlin? I checked information about Karl's 1st wife's family (Golke) & found that they did indeed state they came from Prussia. However I found someone by that name listed on Michigan census records: with her family, when she was about 3 years old. I have never been able to locate a marriage record anywhere in the States. The same relative suggested to me that Golke might be an Americanized version of Gatzka???
Thankyou for your reply; Gerald

Posted: 7 Aug 2009 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: Stellmacher
Based on the information that you provided, I am pretty sure that I am one of the great granddaaughters of the man you are trying to trace. But, his family knew him as Herman August Stellmacher. He was born November 26, 1859 and married Alvina Gatska (Gatzke) about 1886. She was born in Posen.

I live in North Carolina and have never been able to trace them in Germany, but would love to know if you have had any success. The only possible lead that I have is a Mazuski family in Berlin who communicated with family members during the 1970's. I do have a note in my records that Herman and Alvina probably left from Hamburg and arrived in New York. Family legend is that Alvina's brother was killed when hit by a street car in New York. They were in Toledo by 1894 and moved to Michigan by 1900. Children included: Herman, Otto, Frank, August, Augusta, Emma, Minnie (my grandmother), Karl, and Ernest.

Posted: 18 Feb 2010 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: stellmacher
Hello, my mother-in-law Shirley is the granddaughter of Herman Stellmacher and Alvina Gatzka (they arrived in the US in 1887). Her Mom was Emma (the 7th child of Herman and Alvina). Matilda married William Arndt and they had 11 children. Herman came over with his sisters Matilda and Lena (who married Willy Mazarski. I don't have any information on Alvina. Are you Lois or Geraldine's child? Many of the descendants of Herman and Alvina still live in the greater Midland, Mi area. We moved to NC 5 years ago. Happy to share the information that I have so far with you.

Posted: 19 May 2013 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hanneman/Stellmacher

I am working on the Stellmacher surname, my Gt GdMother was Anna Kathering Stellmacher Hanneman.
-
On 4 Jun 1871 in Detroit, Michigan Mathilda Stellmacher was the godmother for Anna (Stellmacher) Hanneman's son Augustus. I am trying to find the Stellmacher family connection to Mathilda.
-
Records show that a Mathilda Stellmacher married a William Ardnt. In 1900 & 1920 the Wm & Mathilda were living in Midland Co, Michigan. This couple had 11 children. This is not the same Mathilda that was the godmother to Augustus. Why, because Wm & Mathilda (Stellmacher) Ardnt had a daughter Emma who was born in 1884 in Germany.
-
There was an Otto Stellmacher family who was in Detroit (possibly by 1872). He could have been a brother/cousin for Mathilda. Mathilda is not shown in his household.
-
There is no record of Mathilda Stellmacher in the Detroit City directories, census or marriage information.
-
Has anyone seen any info on a Mathilda Stellmacher that was in Detroit by 1871?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions