Search for content in message boards

Grass Iles, Canada?

Grass Iles, Canada?

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCormack
I just discovered the burial register for my grandfather's second wife. She was buried in Illinois, but she died in "Grass Iles Can" in 1919. She was my mother's stepmother. My mother told me that she and her brother lived in a children's home in Canada while their father went to work some place else. I thought she told me it was Saskatchewan, but I looked in that province as well as Manitoba and could not find a Grass Iles. Also looked for Isles. I found a prayer book of my mom's from that time, all in French with an inscription by one of the nuns at the home. But, the location is not given. I suppose it could be from any province. Can anyone give me a clue as to where Grass Iles might be? Thanks very much!

Re: Grass Iles, Canada?

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 7:23PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2012 11:03PM GMT
Hi Perhaps?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Isle,_Quebec
If you do a Google search - You will find a history for GROSSE ISLE, QUEBEC
Cheers, Stella

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 7:40PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2012 11:03PM GMT
Thanks very much! That would fit with the French nuns and the fact that my grandfather was from upstate New York, actually not far from Montreal.

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 2:55AM GMT
There is also a Grosse Isle in Manitoba. It is northwest of Winnipeg.

gg

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 5:53AM GMT
Thanks!

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 3:14AM GMT
Grosse Isles is in the province of Quebec, near Quebec City. It is a national heritage site. Many of the "famine ships" from Ireland landed here. Many of the ill passengers died and are buried there. Tours to the island (isle)are readily available.

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 4:42AM GMT
Thank you! I think that is the place, because my mother was boarded in a French convent school in Quebec while my grandfather and her stepmother were working in Grosse Isles.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic