Search for content in message boards

Buswell family, Chipping Norton

Buswell family, Chipping Norton

Luisa (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2006 10:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
One of my husband's ancestors is a Joseph Buswell, born Chipping Norton about 1827. He was a Mason by trade, and moved to Bristol. It would seem from the IGI that his parents were William and Ann Buswell. Does anyone have any details of this family please? I know nothing more about William and Ann, eg who their parents were, when they married or how long they lived. Any information would be wonderful.
Many thanks,
Luisa

Re: Buswell family, Chipping Norton

Marianne Head (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 10:25AM GMT
Hi,
1861 Census Bristol at Henry Row
Joseph Buswell (indexed as Baswell) 34 Engine Fitter born Chipping Norton Oxfordshire
Mary Buswell 33 born Westerleigh Glostershire
Frances 13 Waiscoat maker born Bristol
Thomas 9 scholar born Bristol
Charles Henry 7 scholar born Bristol
Emily 5 scholar born Bristol

1981 Census Bristol at Prospect Parade
Joseph Buswell 64 Engine Fitter born Oxfordshire Chipping Norton
Mary Ann Buswell wife 56 Born Bristol

It looks as though Joseph married twice
There are two marriages on www.FreeBMD of ...

Joseph Buswell married in Bristol March Quarter 1846 reference 11. 189 to a Maria Beard

also Joseph Buswell married Mary Ann Saunders at Clifton 6a 377 December Quarter 1876

Looks like these may be yours.
I found Joseph on the 1861 Census by entering only Joseph and Chipping Norton and his age plus or minus a year or two
There was a Joseph Baswell born Chipping Norton so I new I'd found him.

It will be worth you ordering the marriage certificates.
You could look up the childrens births registrations on the freebmd site too.
There are very few Buswell names
Cheers
Marianne

Marianne head (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 10:39AM GMT
Hi again,
Sorry , the first marriage of Joseph is to Mercy Pritchard
I have looked again on the 1861 Census and it doesnt say Mary it says MERCY
I looked again on the freebmd and there is a Mercy Pritchard on the same page as Josephs marriage , so scrub the Maria Beard

I also found the death of Mercy Buswell on Freebmd in Sep quarter aged 45 in 1872 at Clifton 6a 76

So this proves he married twice.
Good luck
Marianne

Luisa (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 11:41AM GMT
Marianne, this info is fantastic. I had already guessed Joseph married twice, but wasn't sure who his first wife was out of a number of possible candidates on FreeBMD. You have now confirmed it for me. Thank you so much,
Luisa

Marianne Head (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 3:02PM GMT
Hi Luisa,
Glad you are so pleased.
The 1841 Census is available online on the 1837online website, but as yet Oxfordshire isnt one of the counties that is online, as yet. In a few weeks I am sure it will be online and then you could find Joseph with his parents. The 1841 census doesnt give much information but it will give you his parents ages.
I do not have access to the 1851 census, but some one else may if you ask another qustion on the boards.
Cheers
Good luck
Marianne

Luisa (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 7:28PM GMT
Hi Marianne,
Your help has been much appreciated. I am hoping to get an ancestry.com subscription for Christmas - in which case I'll be able to look at all the censuses, bmd etc. I'm just finding it hard to wait that long - this family history lark is highly addictive!
Many thanks,
Luisa

Delia Cuss (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 9:25PM GMT
Hello
Joseph seems to be the last child of William and Ann, the first child being baptised in 1805.
William was a blacksmith by occupation, and he appears not to have been born in Oxfordshireas per the 1841 and 1861 censuses.

1841 census, HO107/879/Book 2/Folio 29.
Tite End, Chipping Norton.
William Buswell, 60, Whitesmith, Not born in Oxon
Martha Buswell, 27, Not born in county.
Joseph Buswell, 14, Born in county.

Martha is William and Ann's dau. and bapt. 29 Sept. 1814, Chipping Norton.

There is no burial for Ann at Chipping Norton, but there is a gravestone for William there.

In memory of William Buswell
Who died February 20th 1863 aged 84.

William and Ann were not married at Chipping Norton.

William in 1861 is living with his son Charles and his place of birth is somewhere in the county of Warwickshire. (sorry can't make out what it is).

Will have a look at the 1851 census to see if his birthplace is a bit easier to read.

If you want all the baptisms of William and Ann's children will gladly send them to you.

I have no connection, just trying to help.
Delia

Penny Eves (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2006 9:33PM GMT
Hi Luisa ...

I had a check through the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837), but nothing conclusive on Joseph's parents' marriage.

This one seems to fit re. groom's name, date and location - but not bride's name:

25 DEC 1826 - William BUSWELL to Keziah BURMAN at Chipping Norton

There is only one other (male) BUSWELL marriage on the index taking place in Chipping Norton, and that is in the early 1600s.

The only record of a William BUSWELL marrying an Ann is in 1778 at Woodstock.

Interestingly, checking the IGI, there are seven children born to a "William and Ann" in Chipping Norton between 1808 and 1827. Perhaps Joseph's parents came from/married outside the county (Warwickshire and Gloucestershire are only a couple of parishes away)?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Penny

Posted: 8 Nov 2006 9:34PM GMT
Hi Delia
Thank you very much for all this. The children of William and Ann that I know of are:
Joseph
Jane
John Stapler
Martha
Charles
Charlotte
Thomas
I found these on the IGI online. If you know of any others, I'd be glad to know about them.
Best wishes,
Luisa

Posted: 8 Nov 2006 9:36PM GMT
Hi Penny
Interesting about Keziah, I wonder if Ann had died and William remarried?
Thanks for all your efforts, they are much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Luisa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions