Search for content in message boards

National Geographic Article on French Canadian Ancestry

National Geographic Article on French Canadian Ancestry

Posted: 3 Aug 2012 11:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2012 12:46PM GMT
I'm doing some research on part of my family that were apparantly fur traders that traveled extensively. They don't appear in the Druin and I can't find their info anyplace but they were in North American earlier then 1730. Someone recently suggested I look up info on trade licenses that were issued but I can't find any info about this. There is supposed to be an article written recently in Nat Geo on French Canadian ancestry that discusses this but I can't find it. Is anyone familiar with it? I can't find it on the Nat Geo site and I'm looking for a date. Thanks for your help.

Re: National Geographic Article on French Canadian Ancestry

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 1:40PM GMT
Hi, Just a thought -Have you considered contacting National Georgreaphic Magazine- for the information - It mightnot have appeared online.
Public Libary -especially a main Branch - may be able to advise - may have copy or reference to the article.
What are the names that you are researching?
Posting the SURNAMES in Capital letters - follwed by given names - time frame - may be helfpul - somjeone may be able to find references for you
Cheers Stella

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 2:09PM GMT
Have you tried looking for your ancestors in the Hudson Bay Company Archives at Archives of Manitoba?

In case the article was in Canadian Geographic, you could try their searchable back issue list which tells you what is in each issue,

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 5:24PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2012 2:25PM GMT
Stella, thanks. I actually just got the info about it from someone very recently but I am planning on traveling to do some research and this will be part of it. I checked online and had hoped to see at least the content of what the ink and paper version had contained but wasn't able to do that so... off to the library. I don't seem to have good luck posting questions wth names etc. that way. Of course that could be me... I'll consider giving it a whirl. Thanks again.

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 5:27PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2012 2:25PM GMT
Thanks NMaus. I didn't realized the Hudson Bay Company had a website like that. I WILL be spending some time looking at it. I also didn't realize NatGeo had a Canadian version either. I will try and see was I can find. Thanks for the tips!

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 12:39AM GMT
Ok... It's the National GENEALOGY Society Journal. I'm still looking for the article though. Sorry about the confusion on the reference.

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 5:35AM GMT
The following might be helpful - Contact the Editors
http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/cs/ngsq

Cheers Stella

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 1:27PM GMT
Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions