Search for content in message boards

Oliver Oleson or Hans Oleii Oleson

Oliver Oleson or Hans Oleii Oleson

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know anything about an Oliver Oleson. I know he was born in Bergen. THe closest name I could find in Bergen was Hans Oleii with a father by the name of Ole. He was born in about 1841 and emigrated sometime after 1865. I found him on the 1865 census living in Arendal, Aust Agder. He was a SMedvend--a journeyman smith.

Re: Oliver Oleson or Hans Oleii Oleson

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 11:31PM GMT
The entry in the 1865 census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&...

Which church congregation in Bergen did you check records for? What years did you include?

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:58AM GMT
Surnames: Oleson
Thank you ever so much for the copy of the 1865 census. IT's even better than the copy I got through the digital archives. It gives his birth year as 1841 which is the year on his death record.
I checked all the churches in Bergen (I think) I didn't specify any one church in the digital archives. I looked in the churches that were listed in the digital archives. I don't remember for sure which years I searched. I know I searched in 1840 and 1841. I wasn't able to access the hospital. I forget the name. I know the hospital can be important. I found the birth/baptism record for a great aunt in a hospital in Copenhagen. She wasn't in any logical church record.

Thank you again for your response.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 5:34AM GMT
Where was Oliver after he arrived in America? Who did he marry?

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: Oliver Oleson or Hans Oleii Oleson
He lived in Chicago, Illinois. He married Jensina Berntine JENSEN who was born on 02 Apr 1850. She was born in Trondheim. They did not know each other in Norway. They were married on 03 Jul 1875. I have a marriage record and a death record. He is buried in Mt. Olive cemetery in Chicago, Ill.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 7:14AM GMT
Were you able to find them in the 1880 census for Illinois?
What is your source that he was from Bergen? I see he died 2 May 1891. What info did his death record have?

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 12:32PM GMT
I couldn't find him in the 1880 US census. He immigrated after 1870 (I'm quite sure). He died in 1891, and there is no 1890 census.

I'm doing this research for a cousin. My cousin saw the gravestone which had that he was born in 1841. My cousin was told by his mother that Oliver was from Bergen, and the 1865 census for Arendal, Aust Agder, Norway had the fact that he was born in Bergen. THe information on the 1865 census was an exact match to the description I had been given for Oliver.

THe death record gave the fact that he was a machinist. On the 1865 census from Norway he was a smedsvend which could be adapted to being a machinist. He was never a farmer. He lived in Ilinois, was married and was buried in Mt. Olive cemetery. The death record did not give the names of the parents. I've asked my cousin to write for a death certificate. I don't know if he's done that yet.

Thank you ever so much for your interest in my query. We host a genealogy group at our house once a month. I continually stress at how great the message board it. People like you prove that fact. Thank you again.

Arlene Camp

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 12:53PM GMT
I think finding him in Norway is going to be extremely difficult. Any possible further info from America could be a big help.

He used the name "Oliver" in America. That doesn't neccessarily mean his name was "Oliver" in Norway. It could have been "Olaves", "Olivarius", "Olivard", "Ollavus", or many other variations. Many immigrants with an uncommon name tended to change it to something used more commonly.

When an immigrant told people he was "from Bergen", it often meant he was from NEAR Bergen, or possibly only emigrated from Bergen. There are many rural parishes nearby that could have been his home also.

Since he married in Chicago in 1875 and died in Illinois in 1891, he should be recorded in the 1880 census with his wife. Finding him would be great....

Do you know anything about his children at all?

Brian

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:06PM GMT
This could be very important.....

Did Oliver have sons name Oscar and Anton?

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 3:45PM GMT
Yes he did!!! Maybe you're on to something!!! THe names of all of his children are: Alf Fredrick, Oscar, Anton, John, Rose Christine, Alma, and Mable. I got those names from my cousin directly. I have a birth record for the person named Mable. Her name isn't on the birth record, but my cousin told me that the record is for her. I have a copy from the Chicago register of births. If you are interested in a copy, let me know.

Arlene Camp
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions