Search for content in message boards

Mitchell Porter 1757-1836

Mitchell Porter 1757-1836

Patti Porter (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2001 7:08AM GMT
My gggggrandfather Mitchell Porter born April 17 1757 in Lancaster Co., PA and he died on April 3, 1836 in Sevier Co., Tennessee. Married Penelope West in VA in 1785. I have hit a wall with Mitchell's parents. I would greatly appreciate any information.
Thanks,
Patti Porter

porters

r.hughes (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2001 4:11PM GMT
i am looking for a leonard l. porter i dont no where he was born i thank he was born around 1870 to 1880, he married a estella m goodsell, and i thank died befor 1938 ,estella states on marage licien that she is a widow in 1938. it appears you have done lots of searching,if you have a leonard l. please let me no i am at a wall to .thank you . roselynhughes@msn.com

Mitchell Porter and Penelope West

Deanna Butler (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2001 1:30PM GMT
I have run into the same exact problem. I've traced my Porter roots back to Mitchell who is my ggggggrandfather. This is wild. It is almost like there were no parents. Please email me and lets see what we can compare notes on and maybe dig up the rest.

penelope Porter

Roffiella Creekmore (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2001 7:47PM GMT
Could his name be samuel mitchell or mitchell
samuel because I am also looking for a porter
who was married to a penelope. They lived in
franklin county alabama about 1873 and had a
son named Andrew J. Porter and daughters named
Talitha or tabitha and susan jane.there were
possibly other children however these 3 all
married into the Creekmore family.

Re: Mitchell Porter and Penelope West

Posted: 7 Sep 2003 1:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter
I am also looking for the parents of Mitchell Porter Born Pa.,Died Tn.My children are the Great Grandchildren of Will,son of Alexander,son of William,son of Mitchell.I know this is an old message, but any help would be appreciated.
Terri

Re: penelope Porter

Posted: 4 Jul 2005 1:55AM GMT
Hello,

Penelope is most likely a Langston as she and Samuel are living surrounded by Langstons in the 1850 census, before any of their children are born. (I mean LITERALLY surrounded - the entire page are Langstons and Langston sisters).

Samuel R. Porter, b. abt 1825, married Penelope (believed to be Langston, but no proof as of yet).

Children:

Louisa Adeline Porter
Talitha Ann
Andrew Jackson
Susan Jane
Jessie McDaniels
John Henry
Elisada Frances
Penelope Elizabeth (Your Penny)
Samuel J.
Franklin S.
Saphronie (ceacy)
Charles H. (Charlie)

He died in 1917 in Franklin County Alabama.

I descend from John Henry Porter.

I have found several references to Jesse Porter of Fayette County and I believe this to be Samuel's father, but there is no difinitive proof. I know the Porters originated in Virginia as well, but not sure how or when they travelled. Jesse Porter is listed as one of th eoriginal settlers of Fayette County Alabama, and having come from TN. But records show he was born in VA.

Re: Mitchell Porter 1757-1836

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Hello,
Mitchell Porter b. 7 Apr 1757 in Lancaster, PA d. 3 Apr 1836 Sevier Co. TN. He married Penelope West on 25 Jan 1785, she was born 1756 in Rockingham Co, VA died 1841.
The father of Mitchell is John Porter b. 1732 in Maryland or Penn married 1755 to Elizabeth Mitchell b. 1739.
The father of John is James Mitchell Porter b. 1695 in Virginia d. 1759 in Sevier Co, TN and I do not know who his wife was. The father of James was Nicolas Porter b. 1659 in Ireland.

I hope this helps!
Jesse Horne

Posted: 21 May 2010 2:23AM GMT
Hello,

I have been researching Mitchell Porter (my 4th GRF) for a long time and I have never come across this information before. However, I have noticed that you have placed this same information in several locations but you have forgotten to mention your source. Would you mind listing your sources for these facts?

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 5:39AM GMT
Dear Sharon,
I am finding the following info;

"Virginia Valley Records: Genealogical and Historical Materials of Rockingham"

Abstract of Church Records
Linville Creek, Smith's Creek, Brock's Gap & Etc. 1756-1844
pg 52
August 1761 Thomas Porter

Second Sunday in May 1762, Sarah Porter wife of Thomas Porter, was admitted to membership, 12th communion.

4/20/1765 Thomas Porter was made church clerk
5/1768 Thomas Porter to warn John Ray to appear...
Aug. 13 1774 John Conner was suspended for unseemly behavior with Sister Sarah Porter. Sarah Porter also suspended.
5/10/1775 Sarah Porter excommunicated-5/10/1776 per "Settlers by the long grey trail"

Mitchel Porter md Penelope West 1/25/1785-pg 158
John Lacy md Sarah Porter 6/16/1788-pg 159
James Kash md Pheby Lacy 12/17/1791-pg 161

Rockingham (County) Supplement
Morris Moris md Rebecca Porter 10/1/1798-pg10--Jamima Morris in William Lacy hh 1850 Morgan Co. Ky.
Stephen Porter md Lydia Moore 1/12/1803-pg 14
Thomas Porter md Margaret Herring 12/11/1806-pg18

pg 411
Will of Elizabeth Herring 1820
...my dau. Margaret Porter...gr sons William H. Porter and Wilson Porter they being children of m..
Margaret Porter
-----------------------
usgenweb-Rockingham Co. Va.
md 1803 Smith Sally Porter, Benjamin A

I descend from Sarah Porter who married John Lacy.
Sincerely
Vic Piper

Re: penelope Porter

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 2:08AM GMT
Susan Porter married my father's grandfather in Franklin and her grave is in Franklin country ( Blue Springs ) by the Baptist Church, my grandfather is Andrew (Kervy) Creekmore, his wife was Allie Mae Treadway.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions