Search for content in message boards

How can I get a Canada death record (ca. 2008-2012)?

How can I get a Canada death record (ca. 2008-2012)?

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 10:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Oct 2012 12:53PM GMT
Hello,
I'm writing for a German friend whose father was not married to her mother in Poland. He was a widower then and had a daughter. He was born in 1914 and before 1968 (?)emigrated to Canada. She knows his last exact address in Osahwa and has info that he was still alive about two years ago and contacted her half-sister who lives in the same house as does/did her father.
As her half-sister refused any contact she would simply like to know if her father is still alive. I do believe he isn't as only his daughter is listed as living in that house.
I do not know anything about data protection in Canada. Would my friend have a chance to find out if and when her father died between - let's say - 2008 and 2012?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Gaby (Germany)

Re: How can I get a Canada death record (ca. 2008-2012)?

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 2:39PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2012 2:42PM GMT
Hi Gaby,

This information is for the province of Ontario, where Oshawa is located. According to this, your friend needs to know the *date of death* to apply for a death certificate.

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

What information do I need to provide on the Online Death Certificate Application?
You must provide:

First and last name of the deceased subject
City or town of death
Parental information about the deceased subject
If applicable, information about his or her spouse or partner.

Who is entitled to apply for a death certificate?
There are no restrictions on who may apply for a death certificate.

There should be an obituary online for those recent dates. If you post his name, someone should be able to find it.

The other possibility is that he is living in a nursing home. How do you know the daughter is the only one listed as living in the house?

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 2:58PM GMT
The Oshawa library has indexed the local newspapers. If you find his name, email the library for more information.

http://news.ourontario.ca/oshawa/search

http://news.ourontario.ca/oshawa/BrowseByLastName

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 3:27PM GMT
Thank you so much for your responses and links.

The name of my friend's father is John Wisniewski, born in Poland in 1914. Looking at the links I see a John Wisniewski who died in 1996, but my friend is pretty sure he was still alive about 4 years ago. His last address was Oshawa, 14 Grandview St. North. Today his daughter Christine Majanew seems to live there. It may be possible that John is still alive and lives in a nursery home.

I'll post another query telling his name.

Thanks again.

Gaby

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 5:19PM GMT
I suggest you contact the Oshawa Library for a copy of the obituary which you can then use to order the death certificate. If it turns out that it is not your John W., then you're only out the money and time, but then at least, you can rule him in or out of the search.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 5:22PM GMT
The telephone listing for that home was in the name of J. Wisniewski as late as 2002.

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 6:46PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2012 1:22AM GMT
Surnames: WISNIEWSKI, MAMAJEK
Hi Gaby,

I did some more searching and I think this is him. (The John who died in 1996, was born in 1955). My deepest sympathy to your friend.

http://www.lifenews.ca/durhamregion/profile/262241--jan-wisn...

WISNIEWSKI, Jan - Peacefully passed away at Lakeridge Hospital Oshawa on July 23rd, 2009 in his 96th year– Dear father of Christine Mamajek and her husband Joseph– Grandfather to John and Andrew– Jan was an employee of General Motors for over 25 years and a member of St– Hedwig's Parish– We would like to thank Dr– Callow for his dedication over the years, Susan Sheriff, his nurse, for her kindness, patience and professionalism, and all of the nurses on the 8th fl oor at Lakeridge Health Oshawa for their dedication, support, kindness and understanding– We would like to thank the staff at the Oshawa Funeral Home for their kindness and support through this diffi cult time– Friends were received at OSHAWA FUNERAL HOME, 847 King Street West (905-721-1234) for visitation on Sunday, July 26th from 2 - 4 and 7 - 9 P–M– Mass of Christian Burial was held at ST– HEDWIG'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (411 Olive Ave–, Oshawa) on Monday, July 27th at 10:00 A–M– Interment followed at Resurrection Cemetery in Whitby.

Attachments:

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 8:16PM GMT
Eileeen and "Talbotrain",

a great thank you for all your assistance within only a few hours. Now we can apply for the death record and my friend at least knows that he rests in peace.

Gaby

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 1:41PM GMT
Always ask for the LONG FORM DEATH
RECORD OR YOU WILL ONLY GET A SMALL
FORM WITH LITTLE INFORMATION.

\ORDER FROM

www.cbs.gov.on.ca

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 5:08PM GMT
thanks again for this helpful info.

Gaby
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions