Search for content in message boards

Canada Voter's Lists

Canada Voter's Lists

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:06AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
I don't know whether anyone else has encountered this yet or not but it can be difficult to find people in these records.

These records were not ‘transcribed’, they used optical recognition software. I have edited and/or corrected close to 100 entries in the last 2 weeks. In some cases it used street names as surnames. It has missed entire lines and come up with some interesting occupations for people. My great grandmother was both an ‘elk’ (clk = clerk) and a ‘rat’ (ret. = retired). I have learned to look for other family members when I find one so that I know to go back to the particular record if I can’t find someone under their own name. It also helps if you already have some idea of where your ancestors lived. I was so thrilled to see the lists because it allows me to verify where people lived but it takes almost twice as long to find someone in these records compared to hand transcription.

Re: Canada Voter's Lists

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 5:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
I found myself on one of the lists from the 70's. "Miss" became Mim, lol.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 3:50AM GMT
Hi, Where do we find the Voters Lists - What years are covered - What locations.
cheers, Stella

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 4:33AM GMT
Hi Stella,

Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980

http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=2983

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 5:06AM GMT
Hi, Thank You. Something I totally forgot existed.
Next time I visit the Library [ don't know when that will be ] I will check Ancestry. Just General searches for some family members over time.
Thanks again. Cheers, Stella

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 1:57PM GMT
I agree with all that you write. In order to find someone I have to review all the names in the year and district I know they might have voted in.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 5:20PM GMT
You are lucky if you can find yourself - there are thousands and thousands of single women that have a record with Mile added to their given name Mile is how the software read Mlle, a syntex for Mademoiselle. So if the list were done in French too bad Ont. NB and Que. are the worst of course but all provinces seem to have some. Also have noticed that not one pages seems to have an Ancestry record for every voter. Some have too many and on investigation with one such page notice there were over 100 records for Des Erables and varations of the spelling depending on how the software read the voter's name. By the way, Des Erable is the street the voters lived on...

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 5:31PM GMT
I encountered the same problem while searching for a great aunt.... her married name was Barton and the first 'match' I got was a page full of Barton - except Barton was the street name! I have spent much time correcting errors as I have been going through them but it is time consuming and frustrating at times.

I recognize that Ancestry is not to blame but isn't there some way of redoing the transcription?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions