Search for content in message boards

Bryan(t)s in Jackson Parish 1860

Bryan(t)s in Jackson Parish 1860

barbara Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2002 2:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bryan, Bryant.
My ggggrandfather benjamin A. Bryant fought in the Conf. Army 1862-1865 with Jackson Sharpshooters. I believe he lived in Union Parish but sold his land in 1856 and can't find him again until 1870....so think he may have been in Jackson Parish perhaps with relatives....perhaps Waid Bryan, or William. Would someone please do a lookup in 1860 census,to see if he and his family are listed...they were no doubt now head of household, but living with others at time. I know he was in some contact with the Seales and Davis's who were the commanding offericers of Sharpshooters....I can not determine who Benj., married....records lost Union Par.,
any clue would be of great help and many thanks. Barb

Re: Bryan(t)s in Jackson Parish 1860

Posted: 11 Aug 2002 4:41AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2002 5:04AM GMT
Barbara,
The 1860 Jackson Parish records I have do not include your Bryant. I found William Bryant, age 61, farmer, born South Carolina, living at Woodville with wife Lydia, 40, born GA, children William, 12, born AL, Edward, 9, born AL, Rina, 7, born AL, Catherine, 6, born Al, and Levi, 1, born AL.
At Vernon was Charity Bryant, 55, born GA, and children Mitchel T., 20, born MS, and Pheby E., 12, born MS.
Sorry I couldn't help.

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 10:14PM GMT
Hi,
I am a direct decendant odd Michael Thomas Bryant, Do you have any information on Charity Bryant after 1860?
Thanks
Clint Bryant

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:37AM GMT
No, I have no information about Charity Bryant. Sorry I cannot help.

Posted: 27 May 2013 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: Bryant & Anders
I know this is an old thread, but I found where on 15 Aug 1860, Charity Bryant received a bounty land grant which was assigned to her by Nathan Rawlinson a private in Captain Taylor's Company, for 80 acres more or less[Warrant No. 24,353.] The property, in Jackson Parish was sold on 2 June 1888 at Sheriff's sale for taxes, which became delinquent 3 Dec 1887. William Anders [Jackson Parish Conveyances Book C Page 134] was the highest bidder and purchased the land. The following year Charity's son Michael T Bryant, a resident of Rapides Parish, purchased the property from Mr. Anders for "consideration herein described". The consideration referred to was that William Anders receive a right and interest free title to 15 acres on the west side of the North West quarter of the Ne 1/4 of Sec. 15 Township 14 Range 2 West. (Jackson Paris Conveyances Book C page 395).

I am also a direct descendant of Michael Thomas Bryant through his daughter Susan who married Louis William Collins. From the information above it seems reasonable to conclude that Charity died in 1887 after she paid taxes for 1886 but before they were due in 1887. Of course another possibility is that Michael Thomas Bryant had been paying the taxes and missed that year. If you would like to compare information you can email me at peggy.smith.phd@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions