Search for content in message boards

Davis, Charles 1924 obit, 1st sheriff Rosebud County

Davis, Charles 1924 obit, 1st sheriff Rosebud County

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 8:17AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Davis, Coy, Kamhoot, Harriman, Smith
I found this obituary among my parents' things. Charles Davis' son was my dad's stepfather.

"OBITUARY -- DAVIS

"Charles Davis, whose death was briefly mentioned in the last issue of The Mail, was born at Sherwood, Branch county, Michigan, Nov. 28th, 1862, and departed this life at the home near Langdon Oct. 13th, 1924, aged 61 years, 10 months and 16 days.

"Deceased was the son of Oscar and Elizabeth Davis and at the age of sixteen moved with the family from Michigan to Minnesota. He was united in marriage with Almira Coy at Silver Creek, Minn., Jan. 1st, 1882. To this union were born seven children, Frank, the eldest, preceded his father to the grave a year ago, on Oct. 22nd, 1923, at Cedro Wooley (sic), Wash. Mr. Davis is survived by his wife and the following children: Floyd E., of Annandale, Mont.; Chas. Morris, who recently returned home from Wyoming; Mrs. Elizabeth Kamhoot of Thurlow, Minn.; Mrs. Mabel Harriman of Greenwood, Neb.; Mrs. Myra Smith of Hamburg, Ia., and Theodore William at home.

"For over a quarter of a century the family of Charles Davis was closely identified with the upbuilding of Eastern Montana, Mr. Davis being a rancher for that period. In 1902, when the eastern half of Montana was divided and Rosebud county organized, Mr. Davis was appointed its first sheriff. He served in that capacity for three years. At that time a rough element of citizenry was prevalent in the mining camps in and near Anaconda and neighboring towns, and Sheriff Davis's fearlessness and zeal for upholding the law proved a valuable asset to the new county of Rosebud. After holding the office of Sheriff for three years Mr. Davis was elected county treasurer of Rosebud county in 1905, and served in that capacity for one term.

"The family moved to Southern Missouri in 1911 and to Hamburg, Iowa, in 1915. In 1919 they came to Atchison county, settling on their farm of 240 acres southeast of Landon.

"For twenty-five years Mr. Davis had been a member of the Masonic fraternity. Testimony of his friends tells of his purpose of right living and right doing, confirmed by the statement of a member of his family, 'Those who knew him best loved him most.'

"The funeral service was held Wednesday, Oct. 15th, at the home, by Rev. C. F. Jenkins, interment taking place at Hunter cemetery."

Re: Davis, Charles 1924 obit, 1st sheriff Rosebud County

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 10:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis, Coy
I wanted to thank you for this. Charlie Davis is the great-great grandfather of my wife. There is some great information that I can add to the family tree.

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 4:34AM GMT
You are the first Davis descendant I've heard from. My Dad's stepdad was Charles' son Frank. Dad never knew his own father (he died the day Dad was born), and his first stepfather was cruel and swindled my grandmother out of the ranch she inherited from my true grandfather. She had four children when she married Frank Davis, and three more with him. He was a good man and a good father. All of the children took the name "Davis," so that was my birth name. Frank died when my father was 16-17.

I had an Uncle Charles Davis, the natural son of Frank, and my brother is the namesake of my uncle.

I have quite a few Davis cousins who are the natural lineage of Frank and Charles Davis. One such cousin has indicated she knows nothing of her ancestry. She would be the second cousin of your wife's parent. What child of Charles is she descended from?

Anything you could share would be welcome!

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Coy
Finding information on Charles is like hitting the jackpot. I just recently found his death certificate online which provided me information on his place of birth and his parents. I've hit another wall with his parents andI can't find anything on his wife, Almira Coy except that she re-married and moved back to Minnesota. After her 2nd husband passed away, she moved back to Montana with her daughter and passed away in 1948. I know her parents moved to Rosebud and died there, but I can't find anything else on theme. No names, dates, nothing...

My wife is descended from Theodore. He returned to Missouri when Charles retired and lived in Rock Port until his death in 1996. He married Leona Elizabeth Smith. She passed away in 2001. They had 9 children.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular. I can share anything I have.

Thanks again...

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 9:05PM GMT
I don't know if you have this info, but there is a book on Pioneers of Rosebud County, They Came and Stayed, with a piece about my husband's great grandfather Charles Davis. The book is out of print, but copies surface in Montana from time to time.

Almira Coy Davis Andrews is buried in the Forsythe cemetery along with her parents, John D Coy 11/18/1820 - 11/10/1889 and Mary C Coy, 7/22/1831-1/31/1892. I have pictures of their tombstones.

There is a pantograph in the Forsyth museum showing all the pioneers of Rosebud County taken in 1925. He is the guy standing in front of the left lamppost, and I believe Almira is sitting on the curb below him and at the frontmost left. I have a copy of it.

In addition, I have a picture of his daughter Mira at 16, as well as copies of photographs taken on the Cheyenne reservation where I believe he was the Indian agent.

There is a story that Charles Russell the artist used to visit their Montana ranch, but I have not found anything in writing or paint.

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 10:36PM GMT
My mother was Frances Edith Davis. Her father was Frank Wesley Davis- Charles Davis was his father. Any info would be good.

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Marks
You are my cousin! My dad was Maurice, your mom's half-brother. Dad was the son of Edith (Rogers) and her first husband, George Marks.

I have lots of information and photos I would be happy to share if you give me your e-mail address.

I hope we can be in touch. It's never seemed right that I have cousins I never knew.

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 4:09AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Rogers, Cocagne, Branche
To Grandmamoo,

Frank Davis, your grandfather and son of Charles Davis, was married to our grandmother, Edith Rogers. (I had a different grandfather, Edith's first husband, George Marks.)

Edith Mabel Rogers was born 1881, in Minnesota. Her parents were Jonas and Hannah (Cocagne) Rogers. She died in 1952 in Sedro-Woolley, Washington.

Edith's father was Jonas Rogers, born 1823, in Maine. He died 1897 in Minnesota.

Edith's mother was Hannah Cocagne, born October 21, 1825, in Cape Vincent, New York. She died October 12, 1933, in Sedro-Woolley, Washington.

Hannah Cocagne's parents were Charles and Margaret (Branche) Cocagne, both born in France.

Re: Correction, Davis, Charles

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 4:18AM GMT
Oops! Hannah Cocagne was actually born in 1843, not 1825.

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 4:48AM GMT
I don't have any pics. We never visited family after we left Washington for California. I am just now finding out about my mom's side of the family,not that I know much about the Karwacki. My dad kind of got lost from everybody.
But, have found a lot about Hannah's side of the family.
Hope to stay in touch.
Sandy
Can e-mail me: richashamoo@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic