Search for content in message boards

HOLMANS

Posted: 1 Jul 2006 2:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HOLMANS
I am searching for information on a Charles Holmans or descendants. Charles was born in Kent County, England and came to the U.S. with his brother Stephen Holmans who settled in Burkett, Texas. Family information passed down says Charles and family lived in Rosenburg. Any information would be appreciated.

Re: HOLMANS

Claressa Friedrich (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2006 2:04PM GMT
Surnames: Holman/Scott
My greatgrandmother was Mary Elizabeth Holdman, descendant of Joseph and Susanne Lawrence Holman. Joseph could possibly had a brother, Thomas. They setteled in Hot Springs, Ark. area. Mary Elizabeth married Timothy Scott. The Scotts all setteled in Ft. Bend and Whorton counties. Is there a connections to your Holmans?

Kimberly Flores (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2006 3:08PM GMT
I don't show any Scotts in my research but that doesn't mean it's not a possibility. Stephen Holmans (b. 1854 in Kent County, England) and Charles Holmans (b. 1861 in Kent County, England) came to Texas in the 1870's. Stephen is my g-g-grandfather. He settled around Coleman, Texas. My great-aunt is still living (she is in her mid-90's) and says that Charles and his family settled in Rosenburg, Texas. I think he had three sons: Charles, Stephen, and Edward (who lived in Gladewater according to my great-aunt.

Claressa Friedrich (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2006 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Holman/Scott
I have nothing prior to Hot Springs, Ark. on my line of Holmans, so none of yours match up with mine. But who knows maybe something will pop up one of these days. Thanks for your information.

Eve Raine (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2006 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: HOLMANS (OR Holman ???)
I am currently an editor for a Texas pastor/author who is writing historical fiction about her ancestors. I have caught the bug of genealogical research from researching her family! On a lark, I entered my paternal grandfather's name, Charles Holmans, who I know to have been born in England. In fact, I have, I believe, a copy of his birth from the Hall of Records in London. I do not have a computer; thus, I am not at home to dig this certificate out right now. However, I know the family of whom you wrote.

Charles, of England, married Marion Palmer of Scotland. They had the following children: Albert, Charles, William, James, Douglas, and Pearl. I believe the father's name was Charles Albert.

My father was James Burnett Holmans. He and my mother divorced when I was 18 months old, and I grew up merely visiting him. With another wife, he had only one more child, my half-sister, Kay Lynn.

Charles of England, according to my father, was "too stubborn to go to a hospital with an appendicitis attack, and therefore died at home of a ruptured appendix. My father, James, was born in Rosenberg, Texas, July 17, 1921. My dad was of pre-school age when his father died.

The mother, Marion Palmer Holmans, soon decided that she could not take care of all the children. She gave them to my dad's grandmother (I don't know if this was the maternal or paternal grandmother.) She lived in Rosenberg, Tx. My dad remembered selling oranges out on the highway that led to Houston. When my dad was about 5 or 6, the grandmother could not take care of them. Some uncle was a mason, and my dad remembers the uncle picking him and his siblings up in Rosenberg and driving them to Ft. Worth. He signed them over to the Masonic Home Orphanage (James, Bill, and the only sister, Pearl). Charles and Bill were young adults at this time. I don't know if Albert was a minor, also signed into the orphanage. I do know that all the siblings lamented the rest of their lives over Albert's death in WWII. I believe that he was off the coast of Alaska. He had just taken off in an amphibious plane, I believe, and it immediately crashed into a school of whales (or porpoises or dolphins).

The son Charles married a woman named Margaret, from Mexico. They settled in Dallas. They had several children: Charles Holmans of Denton, TX; Suzanne Holmans McKinnerney of Colorado; Lulu (married name ?) of Boston, MA; and Macrena (married name ?). Twenty years ago or so, Charles went to London to secure the birth record of the father. We all found out that his surname was listed as "HolmaN"--with no "s." The assumption, then, was that someone made a clerical error when the little children were signed into the Masonic Home Orphanage in Ft. Worth. We all are unsure if our last name should be Holman or Holmans.

The children of the above son, Charles, are all living, and they have children.

Bill married a lady named Ollie B. They settled in Austin, and had children, etc.

Doug married a lady named Maxine, and they settled in Austin, also having children who have had children.

James (Jimmy when little; Jim as an adult) married a lady named Cynthia from Cincinnatti, Ohio. Her father got Jim started in real estate. They divorced 1 year or so into the marriage. He married my mom, Elizabeth Whitten of Elgin, in 1950; I was born in 1952; they were divorced in 1953 or '54. Then, he married a lady named Wanda. They lived in Hawaii for 5 years, then Dallas, then settled in Austin. They had Kay Lynn. She and I both live in Austin. He then married a lady named Mary Davis, who had 4 children of her own.

Pearl married Vernon Dement. They settled in Austin. They had several children: Bert Dement of Austin; another brother of Colorado (name escapes me), and Lanier (their sister) Whilden, whose husband is a Houston lawyer.

All of Charles's and Marion's children are now deceased. My father died in 1996. All of the next generation are alive, as are their children and little ones. Except for a few who have emmigrated to Colorado (around Edwards, CO), and Lulu w/husband and children in Boston, the rest of the clan are in the Dallas, Denton, Austin, and Houston areas.

Deborah Holmans Krug (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2006 1:49AM GMT
I am the daughter of Douglass Holmans, who is Charles and Marion Holmans son. My father was born in Rosenberg Tx. He had 2 older brothers, Charles and Bill, 2 younger brothers James and Albert and one sister named Pearl. At the age of 12 my father, James, and Pearl traveled to Ft. Worth by train to the Masonic Home and School (not an orphanage) Albert was a baby and was raised by his maternal grandmother. He never attended the Masonic Home. Albert died in a plane crash in San Diego Bay during WWII.Charles and Bill were too old to move to The Masonic Home. and succeeded on their own. Charles, James, Bill, and Albert served in the navy during WWII and my father served in the army.My father and his siblings are deceased.Although they spent time apart, they remained very close to one another. The cousins are primarily in Texas, with a few in Colorado and Boston. Two are deceased.The majority of us are Longhorns and Aggies.

Becky Gallimore (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2006 2:14PM GMT
Deborah:

What is it that you are needing from Fort Bend on your family? I guess I'm not understanding exactly what you're asking.

Let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Becky Gallimore

Kimberly Flores (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2006 5:05PM GMT
Surnames: Holmans
Deborah - Thank you for your response. I have had some difficulty finding hard proof that the Charles Holmans I am seeking was actually the father of your grandfather Charles Holmans (who married Marion). All evidence points to us all being connected. Do you have any information on Charles Albert Holmans' (who married Marion) father? If you are interested in sharing more information, let me know.

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 1:38AM GMT
My grandfather, Charles Albert Holmans, had 2 brothers -- one named Stephen and the other Frederick. I believe their father was Charles Frederick, but I am going from memory, I need to double check my notes. They came over here from England, County of Kent. It is my understanding that their father was a sheriff or at least in law enforcement in Fort Bend county.He brought his son(s) over from England when they were little, I assume they arrived in Galveston since they lived on the TX Gulf coast My grandfather married Marion Palmer. They lived in numerous places in the League City, Genoa, Rosenberg, Dickinson area of TX.
My father had a cousin named Irene. She lived in Franklin TN as an adult. She has a son.
If you have any information to share I would greatly appreciate it. -- Debbie

Posted: 16 Sep 2006 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Holmans, Holbrook
My grandfather, Charles Albert Holmans, had 2 brothers -- one named Stephen and the other Frederick. Their father was Charles They came over here from England, County of Kent. It is my understanding that their father was a sheriff or at least in law enforcement in Fort Bend county.He brought his son(s) over from England when they were little, I assume they arrived in Galveston since they lived on the TX Gulf coast My grandfather married Marion Palmer. They lived in numerous places in the League City, Genoa, Rosenberg, Dickinson area of TX.
My father had a cousin named Irene. She lived in Franklin TN as an adult. She has a son named Raymond He also had a cousin that lived in the Longview TX area.
If you have any information to share I would greatly appreciate it. -- Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic