Search for content in message boards

Dmitruk from Grodno

Dmitruk from Grodno

Posted: 11 May 2010 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dmitruk
My husband's father Matthew Dmitruk came to America in the early 1900s from Grodno (Belarus?). We believe he came through Canada to live in either Chicago or Detroit. And he may have come over with a brother. He returned to the Ukraine before WW2 to find his future wife Eugenia and they then returned to America to begin their life together in Detroit. We have no other information and would appreciate any information or leads provided. Thank you!

Re: Dmitruk from Grodno

Posted: 12 May 2010 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Dmitruk, Дмитрук
Hello! Grodno was a district (capital) city of Grodnenskaya gubernia of Russian Empire.

It's a National historical archive of Belarus in Grodno.
To take info from there you need to provide his name, surname and prob. father's name appr date of birth, religion and place of birth.

As i understand - his father named Matthew - it's non-slavic name.

You need to:
1) find his slavic name. I think it maybe Matvei (Matvej, Matvey, Matfei) - Матвей.
(full name Матвей Дмитрук)

2) find immigration records of his father on Ellis Island databese or Ancestry.com to find his appr. date of birth.

It maybe this one: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=&gst=&...-

(Find Matthew Dmitruk)

3) send a request to NIAB in Grodno. They will ask you for pre-paid and trying to search.

Posted: 12 May 2010 10:33PM GMT
Thank you so very much for your guidance! I so appreciate your help with our search. . .we have not known how to proceed and this is so exciting to think we may be able to move forward. It may be some time but I will post our progress. Again, thank you!

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 1:33AM GMT
It is my understanding from several people whom I have consulted who are native born to Belarus, and native born to Ukraine, that Dmitruk (translation, Descendant of Dmitri) is a western Ukrainian sounding name. There were several individuals from Ukraine's L'viv region who migrated up to Grodno province, with the Dmitruks being amongst them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic