Search for content in message boards

Ferry at Dunkards Bottom/Whitts from Newbern area

Ferry at Dunkards Bottom/Whitts from Newbern area

Posted: 3 May 2012 5:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whitt, Compton
I'm looking for info on the old ferry across New River, near Newbern, which was run by Whitt's in 1800s. Would love to find out more about Newbern area history, any hints? Are there any church records available from 1800s or before for that area?

Also, looking for info on Rhoda Whitt b. around 1822, her parents, Abijah Whitt and Nancy Compton, and her children, Leander, Amos, Robert (Bub), Truman, Sidney, Rush... Does anyone have info on these folks?

Please let me know if there is a Whitt reunion in the area, would love to attend.

Re: Ferry at Dunkards Bottom/Whitts from Newbern area

Posted: 4 May 2012 12:50AM GMT
Check with the Wilderness Road Museum in Newbern. They should have info on the ferry.

Posted: 4 May 2012 1:37PM GMT
In the book named Early Adventures of the Western Waters by Mary and F.B. Kegley Vol I, mentions the Whitt Family.
Richard Whitt in the records of New Riverin 1769.
He purchased lands including the Old Ferry Place in 1786.
Wrote his will in 1807, mentions Archibald Whitt a son, Elizabeth Cassidy, Ruthy Whitt and Susan Cresswell.
Ruth married Jesse Whitt in 1817 in Montgomery Co, Va.
Certain amount of cash were paid to Henry Cresswell, Ruth White, Abijah Whitt.
Says that Archibald Whitt sold to son Hezekiak Whitt in 1826, they also sold land to Abijah Whitt Jr., and said there was no relationship stated.
There is more to this sketch that I have mentioned.

Posted: 5 May 2012 12:03PM GMT
There was a ferry near Newbern named Towes Ferry but that is not near Dunkards Bottom. There was a Rhoda Whitt that married Francis Godbey b:1786 d:1867. Another interesting clue is the cliffs near where the ferry would have been were known as the Godbey cliffs. Whether not there is a connection I do not know.

Posted: 5 May 2012 1:47PM GMT
MY name is Janice Nunn and my great grandmother was Rhoda Whitt , she married William Sutphin. Both of them lived in Newbern, and where born around 1884. Do you have any information on them? Than you.

Posted: 6 May 2012 11:55AM GMT
It may be that your Grandmother, Rhoda Whitt, was daughter of Robert Newton Whitt, b 1855 - 1920, there are census records for Robert. Do you or anyone in your family have any info on her father?

Robert's mother was Rhoda Whitt b 1822 (my GG grandmother) Please let me know if there is ever a Whitt renunion in the Pulaski area)

Rhoda Whitt was daughter of Abijah Whitt, whose sister was Rhoda Whitt b 1787. Their father was Archibald Whitt b 1763
All of the above from Montgomery/Pulaski Co

Posted: 6 May 2012 8:15PM GMT
Rhoda's father was Robert, and that is about all I know of the family. My family did not talk much about their people. I don't know of any reunions, but I sure would like to go to one.

Posted: 14 May 2012 12:00PM GMT
Be sure to check out the Geneology Sessions at Wilderness Road Museum, Newbern, last Sat in May (2012)

Posted: 16 Sep 2012 1:23AM GMT
According to "Early Adventures on the Western Waters" Richard Whitt purchased the land that included the Ferry, but no record that they operated the Ferry. "Vol I" by Mary B Kegley.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic