Search for content in message boards

Thomas Mark ADAMS

Thomas Mark ADAMS

Posted: 23 May 2009 1:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ADAMS, FANSTONE
I am looking for information on the family of Thomas Mark ADAMS, possibly baptised in 1790-9 at Dover, Kent. I think that he married Harriett FANSTONE. Any information would be wonderful,
Best wishes,
Mike Horton

Re: Thomas Mark ADAMS

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Kimber
Hi Mike,
I'm trying to confirm whether Thomas ADAMS b. 19 Apr 1795 in Dover, Kent married Elizabeth KIMBER in 05 Jan 1822 in Kintbury, Berkshire, England. Possible children are Thomas Mark ADAMS b. 04 Dec 1825 in Dover, Kent and Richard Kimber ADAMS b. 27 Sep 1828 in Southwark, London. Both came to NSW Australia.
Cheers,
Jen.

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 9:50AM GMT
Dear Jenny Meadows,
Many thanks for contacting us through Ancestry. We only have unverified IGI records which indicate that the marriage of the parents of our Thomas Mark Adams might be Marks Adams, Spouse Ann Smith, Marriage 22/4/1790 St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent.
The baptism of our Thomas could be Thomas Adams Christening 19/4/1795 St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent Father Mark Adams Mother Ann Smith Relatives William Henry Adams Snr
Our Thomas Mark Adams married Harriet Fanstone about 1838 in the Southampton area and had three children, John Fanstone, Walter & Ann Eliza. Thomas was a publican all his working life and died in Islington, Middlesex on 18/2/1886.
Unfortunately we seem to have two Thomas Mark Adams and I can see no connection at present.
Best wishes,
Mike Horton

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2014 11:33AM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Smith, Kimber
Hi Mike,

I'm also looking at Marks Adams and Ann Smith who married 22 Apr 1790 St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent as parents of my Thomas Adams who married Elizabeth Kimber :)

Can you please tell me more about William Henry Adams Snr., and how he is connected to Marks Adams? I cannot find reference to him on any birth, baptism or marriage entries.

Do you have the death certificate for your Thomas Mark Adams who died 18 Feb 1886? If so does it actually have "Mark" as his middle name and does it list his parent's names?

I found the attached marriage notice in 1883 in an Australian newspaper for Thomas Richard Kimber Adams, son of Richard Kimber Adams who was the son of Thomas Mark Adams from Kent, England.

Also attached is the baptismal entry for Thomas Marks Adams born 04 Dec 1825 and baptised 30 Dec 1827 in St. Mary the Virgin, Dover Kent son of Thomas Adams and Elizabeth. Thomas Marks Adams came to Australia and married Sarah Anderson in 1849 in Sydney. Their son Thomas Mark Adams born in 1854 in Sydney is my 2 x great grandfather.

It would be great to sort this out so any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jen.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 1:57PM GMT
Dear Jenny,
Many thanks for your reply and two images.
I have only found the ‘old’ IGI references for the marriage of Marks Adams and Ann Smith and also the connection with William Henry Adams. I have no further information on either record.
I have the Death certificate for Thomas Mark Adams and a transcription is ‘Thomas Mark Adams aged 96 years (retired licensed victualler) died at 8 Colebrook Row, Islington on 18/2/1886, registered by G.D.Thomas, Coroner for Middx., after inquest held on 20/2/1886’ no parents are ever listed on death certificates at that time. I have tried to attach a scan
It seems that we are dealing with two Thomas Mark Adams, one who went to Australia and one who stayed in England. I have an unconfirmed IGI record giving the mother as Ann with a birth/baptism of 19/4/1795 while you kindly sent us a baptism of 30/12/1827 where the mother is Elizabeth. This could be father and son although my Thomas Adams married Harriet Fanstone at Southampton on 31/12/1832.
It certainly is a puzzle and I will have to keep trying to sort it out. If I find anything we will certainly let you know.
Best wishes,
Mike Horton
Attachments:

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Smith
Hi again,
Thanks for the info and the image, it is greatly appreciated.
Yes, it is very puzzling - 2 Thomas Mark Adams but only one entry in Dover. I have attached the baptismal record of Thomas Adams on 19 Apr 1795 father Mark Adams and mother Ann but not much info there.
Also attached is Marks and Ann Smith's marriage entry and not a lot of info there either.
Note the different spelling of Mark in one entry and Marks in the other...it was this spelling of Marks which led me to believe he was the father of my Thomas Marks Adam but now I'm not sure anymore.
Sorry to harp on but does William Henry Adams appear on the old IGI marriage of Marks and Ann or somewhere else?
Thanks,
Jen.

P.S. I just tried attaching the images but it wont work. Perhaps we have used our quota for images?? Can you please send me your email address and I will forward off the list.

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Kimber, Fanstone
Hi Mike,

The two Thomas Mark Adams both born in Dover, Kent around 1795 have been really bugging me and I had a light bulb moment today and I think they are one and the same man who married twice...

Thomas Mark Adams born 19 Apr 1795 St. Mary's Dover, Kent son of Marks Adams and Ann Smith.

He marries 1st Elizabeth Kimber in 1822 in Kintbury, Berkshire. Children are -

1825 Thomas Marks Adams Jnr. born in Dover, Kent.
1828 Richard Kimber Adams born in Southwalk, Surrey.

Thomas Mark Adams Snr. was a Steamboat Steward in 1825 and a Mariner in 1828. Elizabeth must have died sometime between 1828 and 1832.

He marries 2nd Harriet Fanstone in 1832 in Hampshire. Children are -

1839 John Fanstone Adams born in Southhampton, Hampshire.
1840 Walter Marks Adams born in Southhampton, Hampshire.
1843 Ann Eliza Adams born Isle of Wright, Hampshire.

There is a big gap between the marriage with Harriet in 1832 to John's birth in 1839 but I'm not sure if there were more children. In the 1841 Census, Thomas Mark Adams Senior's occupation is listed as a Publican.

I've had a look at Harriet's family and I'm not sure if I'm right or not but I think she was born 11 Jan 1811 in Romsey, Hampshire daughter of Thomas Fanstone and Hannah. She had several brothers and sisters and one being John born in 1808 and christened 26 Feb 1809.

There is a John Fanstone aged 30 living in Bridge Street, Holy Rood, Southhampton in the 1841 Census with wife Lidia and daughter Roseni. His occupation is listed as a Baker and this is where it becomes interesting. Also living with him is a Richard Adams born in 1828 aged 13. His birth county is listed as Hampshire instead of Surrey but probably just a mistake. Richard Kimber Adams who came to Australia in 1864 was a pastry cook working on the steamship RMSS Kaikoura.

Have you researched the Fanstone family and do you know if the above John Fanstone was Harriet's brother?

Something else I've noticed is that this family's occupations are all very similiar. In the 1851 Census, Richard Kimber Adams is listed as a Mariner. In 1861 he is a Baker at the Royal Oak Inn at Southhampton. From 1864 - 1868 he is a pastry cook on the RMSS Kaikoura which sailed regularly from Sydney to Plymouth.

If we are looking at just one Thomas Mark Adams Snr, then he was a Steamboat Steward, Mariner and Publican. In 1861 he is the Innkeeper of the Clarence Hotel in Holy Rood, Southhampton and his son Walter is a Steamboat Steward. In 1871 Walter is a Publican/Ship Steward.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

Cheers,
Jen.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 4:01AM GMT
Hi Mike,
I haven't heard back from you, did you get my last message?
Cheers,
Jen.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 10:14AM GMT
Dear Jenny Meadows,
I did receive your wonderful message of 30/10/2013 which very clearly set out the case for a first marriage to Elizabeth Kimber. I had thought that Thomas born 1795 married for the first time quite late although he says that he was a batchelor when he married Harriet Fanstone. I can only find two children of the Adams – Kimber marriage and it is a pity that we cannot find a death for Elizabeth Adams between 1828 – 1832 although it could be anywhere in the country. I have a few missing events and I hope that you can fill in some of them
Have you got a date and parish for the marriage of Richard Kimber Adams & Ellen Eliza Ockleford – March 1852
Have you got her birth about 1833 and also the deaths / burials of both Richard & Ellen
Have you got the parish marriage details of Thomas Marks Adams
If so have you got the birth / baptism of his wife
Have you got the emigration details for Thomas Marks Adams ( and family ? ) to Sydney, NSW before 1864
Have you got the deaths / burial of Thomas Marks Adams and also any wife.
I am also missing some Census years. Have you got Ellen Ockleford in 1851 or Thomas Marks Adams ( and wife ) in 1841, 1851, 1861
I hope that you do not mind me seeking these details but your inspired deduction created a lot of investigation and raised many questions, and I am delighted that you did so.
With regard to the Fanstone line, I also think that Harriett was born 11/1/1811 in Romsey and you sound as though you have found her family. A John Fanston was baptised at Romsey on 26/2/1809, parents Thomas & Hannah
I have later census entries for Thomas & Harriet, her death certificate and a lot of details on their children, including certificates. Would you like any of this information.
I am sorry if I took a little while to reply but I was trying to get sources and sort out the family.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Best wishes,
Mike Horton

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 10:17AM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Fanstone
Hi Mike,

I am a descendant of the John Fanstone Adams -John Arthur Adams line and I would love to see more details on that line.

I am curious as your tree has 1841 census sourced for both Thomas Mark and John Fanstone, but the only census I can find is at the White Hart in Portsmouth (Thomas Mark, Harriet and John at the right ages). On this record is also an older sister Susan born about 1826. Susan is not recorded in your tree, but this would add yet more questions to the 1 Thomas Mark Adams/ 2 marriages theory.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic