Search for content in message boards

glass blower

glass blower

Nancy (Brucker) Larson (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brucker
I am in search of any information regarding relatives who worked in the glass-blowing industry in Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, PA in the mid 1800's or early 1900's. Great great grandfather and grandfathers were glass blowers; both named Wendelein Brucker.

Glassblowers/ Brucker

Esther L. Nixon (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BRUCKER, LEWIS
In reply to your request for information on the DRUCKER family who were GLASSBLOWERS in Allegheny County, PA. My family has been in the Glass Industry for Centuries until now. Allof the males were apprenticed to learn the work. Although most people called them GLASSBLOWERS, in truth there were other skills they worked at. My father was a GlassCutter. Because of the nature of the manufacturing of Glass, it was necessary for the workers to be employed in various parts of the country. There were Glass factories in Fayette , Westmoreland, and Green Counties, in Western Pennsylvania. You can probably find some information in one of those counties. The men (glassblowers) all knew one another, even though they worked all over the United States. I am researching the LEWIS family and they were in Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co. in the 1800's. It is much easier to research a farm family who stayed in one location. Let me know if I can be of any further help to you. Esther L. Nixon <hharm@hhs,net

glassblower

Lillian Hoffman (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Patrick Jones
Patrick (or Atrick) was my grandfather. Wife Lillie (or
Lillian) was a glassblower in Pittsburgh, Pa. during the
year 1902 when my father William was born. He was killed
about five or seven years later but cannot find any thing
on him. Have checked with the county and state for a death
record. I have a fixed income so can not spend a lot for
research.

Glassblowers

Esther L. Nixon (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Jones, Cole, Bell, Drummond, Sullivan

Don't give up your search. It isn't costly if you do it yourself. If you are in the Pittsburgh area, Carnegie Library is a good place to search. I am in Uniontown, PA and the PENNSYLVANIA ROOM of the Uniontown Library has a wealth of information . In Allegheny County , they have a greater number of resources available. The Historical Society and The Genealogy Society. Another source, The Glasscutter was a publication of the "Window Glass Cutters of America". They were a close knit group of men who all knew each other. At least that is the way it was when I was a young girl. That was meny years ago.
Good luck to you. I hope you find the information that you are searching for. Esther Lewis Nixon

Re: glass blower

joseph Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2001 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: Schmidtchen, Brucker
My wife's g great aunt (Elisabeth Schmidtchen) married Wedel Brucker

Re: Glassblowers/ Brucker

Posted: 7 Jul 2002 8:21PM GMT
Dear Esther,

Do you have a lot of information regarding the close knit group of glassblowers? My GGGrandfather, James Cline, was born in Winslow,New Jersey, a large family of glassblowers, and was in Pittsburg South Side (Birmingham) by 1860. He and his family lived on Sarah Street. His brother Isaac Cline was president of the Window Glassblowers, very active in the Union, even going to Europe to promote the organization. My GGGrandfather James, and six other brothers were glassblowers. Three of them were in the famous Co.K 100th(Roundheads) enlisting out of New Castle. My family left Pittsburg in 1880.

Elizabeth Schmidtchen Brucker

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: Schmidtchen
Elizabeth Schmidtchen Brucker was my husbands 2nd grt aunt.
Here brother Peter was his 2nd grt grandfather

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 2:12AM GMT
Surnames: Cline
I am wondering if Joshua Cline, born in N.J. in 1833 was a relation. He also was a glasscutter in N.J., Pittsburgh and New Castle, Pa. He then owned a grocery store there. He married Ann Wilsey, and died in Ohio. I am trying to find out who his parents were, what country they came from and when.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 5:40PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Cline
Hi, somehow I am sure that we are related! I have Joshua Cline, b. 1780, married to an Elizabeth, b. 1790. In the 1830 Census Joshua and Elizabeth Cline, Southhampton Township, Burlington County, New Jersey with one unnamed son at home, and either with them or next door was Isaac and Mary (Brown) Cline with two sons.. I have been trying forever to find that "one unnamed son at home". Their other son is Isaac, my line. I have a calculated guess that it could be Joshua, since names continues through each generation back then!

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 6:06PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 26 Dec 2012 8:47PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions