Posted: 7 Jul 2012 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone know where and who Anne and John Stone that appeared
in the February 1733 Edgecombe County Courts were. I am in
a state of dumbness for I thought that Edgecombe County
had not been formed until 1741 and was in 1733 a part still
of Bertie County. They appeared as witnesses along with
William Bell to the execution of the will of the late, James
Allen... The date listed was December 04th. 1733....thanks.

Re: Witnesses of Will of James Allen

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 3:55PM GMT
No idea, but I have the same book as you have with the dates of wills 1733-1856. yes Edgecombe did not become a county within itself until 1741. There is somewhat of an explanation on page xi...."Although Edcombe county did not enjoy a truly independent organization until Northhamption County was severed from Bertie County in 1741, it had been established as an effective precinct, to all pratical purposes on may 16, 1732. and had been named for Sir Richard Edgcombe, later Baron Edgecombe who was Lord of the British Treasury at that time. The Edgecombe County wills actually began with one in the year 1733 and were probated by the clerk of the Bertie County Court prior to 1741, but after that date Edgecombe County had its own Clerk and Court.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 5:35PM GMT
Prior to the formation of Edgecombe COUNTY in 1741, it was known as Edgecombe PRECINCT starting from 1732. Edgecombe Precinct was formed in 1732 from Bertie County. According to the book "Abstracts of Deeds, Edgecombe Precinct, Edgecombe County, North Carolina 1732-1758", by Margaret Hofmann, "Records indicate that Edgecombe court of the early 1730s was probably held from place to place at plantations within Edgecombe. In the late 1730s and early 1740s, there seems to have been a courthouse of sorts near what is now Tillery, NC. By about the mid 1740s, the Edgecombe County courthouse at Enfield, NC was in use. Early in 1759, when Halifax County, North Carolina was formed from a part of Edgecombe County and the limit of Halifax County was set, one boundary was and still is Fishing Creek which flows just below Enfield. The Edgecombe Courthouse was then within the new County of Halifax. For this reason deeds in the Halifax County, NC public registry prior to 1759 call for lands within the huge area that Edgecombe covered in its very early days."

The first 6 Edgecombe Co. Deed Books, by the way, are actually the ones that cover Halifax County. Note, too, that wills were filed in the early courts, which is why this is important.

Deloris Williams

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 6:27PM GMT
Having established the situation with Edgecombe Co., here are a couple of entries from the book I mentioned "Abstracts of Deeds, Edgecombe Precinct, Edgecombe County, North Carolina 1732-1758".
Deed Book 1-
Pg. 73
JOHN NAIRNE of Edge. Prect. Albemarle Co. to WILLIAM BELL of Edge. Prect. 28 Apr. 1733 25 pounds VA currency 100 aceres more or less on the south side of Moratock river, joining the Crooked marsh, the Great Cain marsh, JAMES ALLEN and the Beaver dam all houses, orchards etc. with HENRY WALKER, JOHN ANDERSON, JOHN STONES, ESide mark Reg. Edge. Prect. Feb. Ct 1733 Robert Foster C. Ct.

Pg. 205 JOHN NAIRN and CHRISTIAN his wife of Tyrol Prect. in Albemarle Co. to MARMADUKE NORFLEET of Perquimans in Albemarle Co. 15 Aug. 1737 80 pounds current money of VA 200 acres on the south side of Morratuck river known by the name of Scotland Neck as by patent to JOHN NAIRN and 240 acres joining thereto also taken up and patented by the sd. NAIRN the whold joining DANIEL MCDANIEL, a marsh, ROBERT SURJOYNER, WILLIAM SURJOYNER, JAMES ALLEN, Great marsh, WILLIAM BELL, the beaverdam, HAMILTON and the river all houses, cornfields, clear ground etc. Wit: JOHN STONE, JOHN HUBBARD Reg. Edge Prect. Aug. Ct 1737 T. Kearney D.C. Ct.

As further info for those who don't know, Albemarle was the original name for the first County in North Carolina, and for many years afterwards, some of counties formed from it were referred to as being in "Albemarle".

Deloris

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 7:11PM GMT
Mrs. Williams, Thank you for your response and help with Edgecombe County. It appears and I am even more so beleiving that John Stone and Ann Stone were my 5th. great grandparents. I had been trying to determine if John Stone was related to the Stone line that produced Governor David Stone of North Carolina. This particular line was of Bertie County, NC.,. I could not find a connecting source that would confirm my thoughts. Based on the date of John and Ann Stone appearing in court as witnesses to a deed transaction it appears that the time line would be right as for them to be my lineage. It appears that "Ann" was the named used for "Alicia Hurst" who borne their first child in 1753 or in 1755. By 1757 John Stone was married to John Merritt's daughter, Pegee Merritt, of Edgecombe County. This is based on the will's of both John Merritt of January 1757 and Anne "Alicia's" brothers will as to the way it was written in 1769 in Halifax County., NC.,... Thanks again!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic