Search for content in message boards

GUINN, Charles family, Burke County, N.C.

GUINN, Charles family, Burke County, N.C.

Carole (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Guinn
Would like to connect with anyone researching the Guinn/Gwynn/Gwynn (many variations) in or around Burke County. Family of Charles Guinn in particular. Charles' son, Henry, was born 1792 in Burke County. Family later went to Alabama

Re: GUINN, Charles family, Burke County, N.C.

Posted: 17 Mar 2002 2:23PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2002 1:35PM GMT
I too are searching for this family of Guinn/Gwin. My Andrew Guinn was born in NC, married Rebecca Ricketts from Burke Co. Her family came from MD/PA to NC. They lived in Buncombe NC before moving to Union Co GA before 1850.

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 1:58AM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Frizzell, Denton,England,Guinn,MacKey,Watts,Hudson
HI Carole, I am at a stuck place on my Burke Co, NC Guinn/Guin/Gwynn line. I have Margaret Guinn who married Daniel England one of their children, Deborah England married my Reuben M. Ross in 1817 in Burke Co.
I know that Margaret Guinn England's mother's name was Deborah but I do not know what her father's name was. I've heard he was a Rev. war soldier but have yet to hear or see his first name. Would appreciate any help,
Audrey Fetterhoff

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 2:06PM GMT
I am interested in your Guinn/Burke Co. N.C. My Andrew Guinn married Rebecca Ricketts of Burke Co, NC they were in Buncombe Co.in 1840 before arriving in Union Co. GA by 1850. Didn't your England/Guinn family end up in Gilmer Co. GA.

My husband is a Kincaid/Denton line from Burke/Haywood/Buncombe area also.

audrey (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2002 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Frizzell, England,Guinn,Denton, Hudson, MacKey, Watts, Baxter, Savedge/Savage, Phillips,Spivey, Pittman, Green, etc..
Hi,
My dirct line is Debroah England (dtr of Daniel England and Margaret Guinn/Gwinn). Deborah married Reuben M. Ross, my ggg grandfather and they stayed in Burke Co, NC all their lives. A kind soul sent me this info on Margaret Gwinn/Guinn England:
"Some time after the death of Daniel England, his widow Margaret England and his granddaughter Margaret England migrated to Habersham County, Georgia.
Daniel England's son Elisha was successful in the 1832 Georgia Gold Lottery, drawing a lot in Brocks District of Habersham County. Other persons also successful were; Joseph England's orphans, Matilda England widow, Margaret England widow of R. S. England, Louicy England three years absent of her husband; and Willis Twiggs. A requirement for eligibility in the drawing was residence in Georgia for three years prior to the drawing, so Elisha had been there for at least three years. These records are in the Atlanta Archives.
Lavice England, daughter of Daniel, seems to have been married to Ezekiel Pennington, but there is a civil action case in July 1820 Burke County court minutes showing Ezekiel Pennington as defendant. Witnesses were members of Lavice (England) Pennington's family.
Willis Twiggs was given power of attorney 12 December 1843, by Lavice Pennington, formerly Lavice England, in Habersham County, Georgia. This action is recorded in the January 1844 Burke County court minutes, and a copy of the original document is in a 1843 [no name given] England estate file in the North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh. This document recites that Lavice (Lovicy) Pennington, widow, in Habersham County, Georgia is due something from the estate of Daniel England (whose land lay on the west side of Hunting Creek) in Burke County. The document also mentions a power of attorney in Union County, Georgia."
I have had no luck yet finding the name of Margaret Guinn/Gwinn England's father. I do know her mother's name was Deborah but don't know her maiden name.
I would very much like to know about your husband's Denton
line. Could you fill me in? Thanks, Audrey

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 5:27PM GMT
Here is a good website on the Dentons/Chastain line.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~vessell/denton.htm

Posted: 3 Aug 2009 1:22AM GMT
Surnames: Morris, England
I thought you might find this info interesting. My gg grandfather was Groves Morris, husband of Isabella England. Isabella England was one of Daniel England's daughters. They were married in 1824. Groves acquired property in the 1832 Georgia Land Lottery in Brock's District, Habersham County, GA. According to the 1850 census, Lovicy Pennington lived with Groves and Isabella in Habersham Co, Ga. at that time. Isabella died sometime in the 1850's. Groves remarried and Lovicy Pennington moved in with my great grandfather, Elisha Fletcher Morris and his family in Ga. The 1860 and 1870 census shows here in his household. Your post explained to me who she was. I guess it makes sense that she wouldn't continue to live with Groves and his new family after Isabella's death. Fletcher was Grove's second son. His son, Edwin Groves Morris was my paternal grandfather. I am interested in information about Isabella England and Groves Morris. I'd appreciate whatever you can tell me.

Posted: 3 Aug 2009 7:13PM GMT
I can;t say I know much more than you probably do but this may help some:

THE HERITAGE OF BURKE COUNTY, The Burke County Historical Society, Vol. II. 2001, Page 237, Sketch 342
ENGLAND Jane
Many of my roots are in the Burke County area, as many of my progenitors migrated to the area from Virginia and Maryland.
Daniel England was my great, great, great grandfather. Finding the connection to this family has been quite a challenge. Perhaps it is because I refused to recognize the obvious until some descendants of friends kept hunting at my great grandmother's heritage.
Daniel England's will was written 9 September 1816; it was probated in April sessions 1819 of Burke County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions. Daniel had actually died prior to January 1819 sessions of court, for at that court, letters of administration "de pendente life" (during litigation) issued to Richard England.
The ink used in writing the will of Daniel England was of such poor quality that the will is now almost illegible.
"Burke County, NC, Surviving Will and Probate Abstracts, 1777-1910", by Miles S. Philbeck, Jr. and Grace Turner, lists the following as heirs; his wife Margaret [DAR records show her as Gwinn by birth]; sons Elisha, Richard, Joseph, John (deceased); daughters Lavina [Lavice], Rachel Williams and her husband John Williams, Jane, Nancy Harshaw, Deborah Capehart, Mary Ga[rrison?]; and granddaughter Margaret, daughter of his daughter Jane.
There is also Isabella England, whose Burke County marriage bond to Groves Morris is dated 28 October 1824. She will be mentioned again later.
Elisha's son, W. A. England, published his memoirs in 1908 at the age of 70; in this he said "Daniel England had a fine farm on Hunters [Hunting] Creek; also had mills and a still, plenty of brandy and whiskey always in the cellar."
Some time after the death of Daniel England, his widow Margaret England and his granddaughter Margaret England migrated to Habersham County, Georgia.
Daniel England's son Elisha was successful in the 1832 Georgia Gold Lottery, drawing a lot in Brocks District of Habersham County. Other persons also successful were; Joseph England's orphans, Matilda England widow, Margaret England widow of R. S. England, Louicy England three years absent of her husband; and Willis Twiggs. A requirement for eligibility in the drawing was residence in Georgia for three years prior to the drawing, so Elisha had been there for at least three years. These records are in the Atlanta Archives.
Lavice England, daughter of Daniel, seems to have been married to Ezekiel Pennington, but there is a civil action case in July 1820 Burke County court minutes showing Ezekiel Pennington as defendant. Witnesses were members of Lavice (England) Pennington's family.
Willis Twiggs was given power of attorney 12 December 1843, by Lavice Pennington, formerly Lavice England, in Habersham County, Georgia. This action is recorded in the January 1844 Burke County court minutes, and a copy of the original document is in a 1843 [no name given] England estate file in the North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh. This document recites that Lavice (Lovicy) Pennington, widow, in Habersham County, Georgia is due something from the estate of Daniel England (whose land lay on the west side of Hunting Creek) in Burke County. The document also mentions a power of attorney in Union County, Georgia.
It was in the North Carolina State Archives that I found the key that unlocked our family mystery. My mother knew her grandmother was name Margaret, and she said they called her "Peggy". I found several Margaret Englands, but none fit into our family time frame until I checked the Burke County bastardy bonds. One reads "one child begotten on the body of Jane England", charging John Good with "support of the child."
It was signed by John Good during the October 1812 court session. Margaret England, daughter of Jane England who was the daughter of Daniel England, was born 9 August 1812. October was the first court session following her birth.
In the April 1819 session of Burke County court, there is a court appointment of Jean [Jane] England as guardian to her minor daughter Margaret England; Jane gave bond in the sum of one hundred dollars.
In that same court session, Isabell England, who was of lawful age to choose her own guardian, chose her mother, Margaret England; that bond was for six hundred dollars.
Margaret England, daughter of Jane England married Willis Twiggs, son of Timothy and Joicy (Willis) Twiggs, in Habersham County, Georgia, about 1833, according to the obituary of Willis Twiggs. Family Bible records of the oldest Twiggs child, Mary Lou, show her born in Habersham County in 1825. The 1838 Tax Rolls of Union County, Georgia, show Willis Twiggs with "1 poll" in the 834th District, Choestoe, Georgia.
There is a census record showing Groves Morris in the household of Willis Twiggs. Later there is a land record in which Willis Twiggs sold Groves Morris land adjacent to his home place. Groves Morris was married to Isabella England, daughter of Daniel and aunt of Margaret (England) Twiggs.
In the old Choestoe, Georgia cemetery, there is a burr of rocks over the grave of Margaret (Gwinn) England. Also buried there, although the cemetery was cleared off many years ago due to years of neglect, were other members of Margaret (England) Twiggs family; a daughter, and two sons, and probably Isabella (England) Morris, as it appears the Groves married again, a much younger woman.
Unfortunately, there is no clue as to what became of Jane England. Did she move to Habersham County also? Did she marry, or is she buried in that same cemetery? I have never been able to learn the answers to these questions.
John Good married Fanny Wood and had a family in Burke County area where he died 1835. -- Submitted by: Barbara Allison Crawford
-- Amended by: Betsy Dodd Pittman

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 5:59PM GMT
Hi Carole,

I just wanted to know if you had found anymore info on Charles Guinn from Burke County Tennesee. My oldest brother's name is Henry Guinn. There was a Guinn reunion in Choctaw County Alabama last month. I think that there is a chance that Charle's wife may have been Cherokee, because her name was never on any of the census papers. I am a direct decendant of the Charles Guinn you have been researching. Charles Guinn to Henry Guinn to Wesly Guinn to Frank Henry Guinn to David Henry Guinn to my father Howard Mason Guinn.

I know that some people believe that Champion Guinn was Charles Guinn's brother, but there is nothing solid to prove it.
Thanks,

Randall Guinn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions