Search for content in message boards

London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930 (Update)

London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930 (Update)

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jan 2014 7:28PM GMT
Please post any feedback or questions about the London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930 (Update) project on this thread.

Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/k993f2z

Discussion page: http://tinyurl.com/mgpe63m

Re: London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930 (Update)

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 11:33PM GMT
There is a problem with the Age field where any age over 31 is being highlighted with an error message "The value must be between 1 and 31". Presumably it has been set to be validated as a "Day" field instead of an "Age".

Re: London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930 (Update)

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 11:45PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2013 11:47PM GMT
The instructions for keying the poor law union or parish have been changed a little from the last London Poor Law Project and I have to say I am confused.

This is the new version of the instructions:
"Key the poor law union when given as seen using the dictionary provided for assistance. If not present, key the parish as seen with the dictionary provided for assistance. If no union or parish names are present, you may leave this field blank. Apply the union to every person on the page.
If more than one poor law union or parish is given, key the one from which the record originated. For example, Order of Removal records usually start with "To the guardians of the poor of the parish of Saint Leonard, Shoreditch, in the metropolitan police district and county of London, and to the guardians of the poor of the {poor law union name} Union in the county of {county name} and to each and every of them."
In this example, you would key "Shoreditch" as the union (because this is the union from which the order is originating) and ignore whatever is written in the space for the second union (because this is the union to which the person is being removed to).
If the originating parish space is left blank, key the destination parish instead.On register styled documents, the union is often given in the header area of the form. The only expected poor law union is Shoreditch but other poor law unions that might appear are:Hackney Poplar Bethnal Green Stepney"

And this is what I am confused about:
In the example given of "To the guardians of the poor of the parish of Saint Leonard, Shoreditch", there is no originating union, only an originating parish! The old instructions used to say to key "Saint Leonard, Shoreditch" in this instance. I am not sure how we can be expected to decide when to replace the name of a parish with the name of a poor law union (which does not appear on the image) and when to key the parish name?

Posted: 30 Nov 2013 9:44PM GMT
Just want to let you know that I keyed a number of records this afternoon that don't fall within the dates of this project. I've had multiple examination records between 1819 and 1823. I'm also keying the names of landlords and apprentice masters. I'm hoping this is correct

Kathy

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 12:43AM GMT
Records outside the date range shown in project titles are quite common.

Reading between the lines of the instructions (dangerous, I know), I get the impression that we are to only key what would now be called "claimants" and their dependents, interesting as it might be to someone to know about their landlord ggf.

Hopefully, Anna is reading this thread and will clarify.

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 7:59AM GMT
I haven't noticed any change in the instructions about who to key for this project? The instructions say "Each person appearing on a document should be keyed as a unique record, excluding clerks and other officials administering the documents. Do not key the names of clerks and other officials." So as far as I know, we are supposed to key landlords etc.

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 12:50PM GMT
That's the way I read it too.

Kathy

Posted: 22 Dec 2013 5:02PM GMT
I have an image in a set which I don't know how to set the form type for. Can you help?

It is the third image in the set, however it is a continuation of the second image. It has no actual data to key in it's own right except the dates for image two. It needs to be attached to the second image for them both to make sense however all the options available for setting the form type don't apply.

Thanks
Ziggy

Posted: 22 Dec 2013 7:17PM GMT
Hi Ziggy,

Generally on all projects any image that has information on it but no records to be keyed is classed as a "Cover Page". So unless the project states otherwise it would be Cover Page.

Kerrie.

Posted: 23 Dec 2013 8:46AM GMT
Thanks Kerrie,
Trouble is if I class it as a cover page then then dates that relate to the record before won't be attached to them! If there was just one name on the page....................!
The page is actually a continuation of a document - but with only the date it was signed (like the bottom of a letter). The date is for the image before it - which has names but no date. I suppose when the data goes public someone can always view the next image to get the date, but .............

Ziggy

(I may just key it as document with only dates and let an arbitrator sort it out)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic