Search for content in message boards

Rebecca HARRIS, b. 1827 Madison Co.

Rebecca HARRIS, b. 1827 Madison Co.

Posted: 10 Aug 2007 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris, Moler
rebecca harris married william moler both in ohio
rebecca was born in Madison co. abt 1827. Does anyone have any info on her? thanks

Re: Rebecca HARRIS

Posted: 10 Aug 2007 4:56AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Beers – Chicago 1873

Page 771 - 772
[sic --] location or explanation added to clarify

Peter Strickland, a native of New England, settled on the east bank of Big Darby [sic creek] opposite Amity, and remained a resident of the township through life. He married four times, and raised a large family of children, and all be one are residents of this township. Mr. Strickland was one of the early settlers, a very industrious man, a good neighbor and a well-to-do farmer. David Garton a native of New Jersey emigrated to this county and settled on Big Darby about two and a half miles south of Amity, about 1812 -1814, and remained a resident of the township till his death. He married Martha Harris, by whom he had two sons; [sic one son is] Hosea, married Rebecca Harris and resided here until his death; [sic second son is] and David, who settled in Missouri. Mrs. Garton [sic first wife the former Miss Martha Harris] died, and he married Hannah Rickman, with whom he lived till his death, and was buried in the family burying –ground on his own place. By his last wife he had several children. Mr. Garton was a man honest and upright in his life and character, and desired such with whom to live and transact business; and such as were otherwise he preferred, in the language of Scripture to come out from among them, and be separate from such. He was firm in his character and principles, and always reliable and a trustworthy citizen.

Note from Daniel: This paragraph does not say anything further on the Harris family after stating that Hosea may have died leaving a widow in Madison County. No dates are give and there is no entry for a William Moler noted in the book’s index. I have a personal copy of the history of the county in my library.

Re: MOLER Surname

Posted: 10 Aug 2007 1:21PM GMT
Shirley, I don't know anything about Rebecca; but I am interested in your WILLIAMS & MOLER names. Are you related to the WILLIAMS (abt. 1860) in Madison Co.? Is your William MOLER related to Jacob MOLER b. about 1823 in OH? Thanks, Carolyn

Re: HARRIS Family

Posted: 14 Aug 2007 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS, MOLER
Well, they weren't married in Madison Co. And I'm sure you know they were out in MO in the 1850 census which is about the time that she died. I checked all of the Male Harris's for their children in the History of Madison Co and couldn't match her up with any of them. I see where there were 4 Harris's in the 1840 census in Gallia Co, Eden was the only one that had a female between 10 and 15 in that census. There were 5 Rebecca Harris's that were married in Madison Co, but they were all married between 1812 and 1833.

Re: HARRIS Family -- Ananias HARRIS

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Garton, Garden
Do you have any information on how Ananias Harris (m Catharine Garton 01 Mar 1827 in Madison Co, OH) might be related to this family? Based on census data it seems that he came from New York.

Thanks!
Daniel Smith
Ft. Worth, TX

Re: Rebecca HARRIS

Posted: 1 Dec 2008 3:27PM GMT
Another correction: David Garton's second wife was Martha Rickman, not Hannah.

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gandy, Casto, Harris
Annanias Harris (born 1805) was the son of Joel Harris and Elinor Ingersoll Harris. He was born in New Jersey.

Some of those old census reports were hard to read as to whether state of birth was NY or NJ.

How are you related to this family?

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 10:41AM GMT
I am interested in this family through Joel's daughter Sarah who married also a Joel Harris who was her cousin. Their son Benjamin is my line. Would love to share information
Judy Versteeg Fry
Oregon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions