Search for content in message boards

Saylor Chocolate Candy Company

Saylor Chocolate Candy Company

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Saylor
My parents, Edward & Harriet Hardin lived in Alameda, Ca. through the Great Depression. Until my older sister married in 1944, my parents lived in Grace Court at #1014. They moved when I was 9 months old in 1945, to Napa County,Ca. I can remember them talking about Saylors chocolate Candy company. They knew the Saylor family in Alameda. The candy recipe was pretty special. Wonderful flavors like See's candy is.
Perhaps the Grandfather Saylor started the company? My parents thought the chocolates that came from Saylors were the greatest thing made.

Re: Saylor Chocolate Candy Company

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 1:40AM GMT
Did you ever find out anything? I remember as a child in the fifties, the Campfire Girls in Oakland had to sell Miss Saylor's mints as a fundraiser (hated it). But I never knew until now there was a history to the name. that's all the info I have, sorry.

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 4:24PM GMT
I see that there is a post to find a Saylor Candy COmpany. I am doing some research on Joseph Laney who they named the College in Oakland, CA. after and he married a Grace Saylor in 1904. Grace is from a family of the famouse Saylor Candy Company.

http://www.laney.edu/wp/archives/laney-college-history/josep...

Visit this website for a page with more detail information.

E.

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 4:26PM GMT
I see that there is a post to find a Saylor Candy COmpany. I am doing some research on Joseph Laney who they named the College in Oakland, CA. after and he married a Grace Saylor in 1904. Grace is from a family of the famouse Saylor Candy Company. I believe this was in the Arizona area where Laney attended Arizona Normal College around the time he met Grace Saylor.

http://www.laney.edu/wp/archives/laney-college-history/josep...

Visit this website for a page with more detail information.

E.

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 6:00PM GMT
There was a Saylor candy company in Detroit, Michigan in the early 1940s Bo was his nickname who headed it, his daughter's name was Besty. They moved to Calfornia in the early 1940s & had a candy company in Calfornia & I lost track of the family when they moved. My father was a accountant who did the tax returns for them. Would like to restablish contact with them.

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 2:41AM GMT
My family has lived in Alameda since before the 1900s. When I was in high schoolin the 60s there was still a Saylors Candy on Encinal Ave. It was run by 2 sisters if I remember correctly. I believe in the late 60's they sold out to Whitman candies.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 9:52AM GMT
Surnames: Evans, Dickinson
My grandfather and grandmother both worked at Saylor's Chocolates. Their names were Raymond Dickinson and Jessie Evans Dickinson. I have 2 pictures that maybe some of you may recognize people that worked there?

If you have any stories to share, I would love to hear them. Maybe a connection to my grandparents that I didn't know about.

The name of the first file "Silly Aass" is what was written on the back of the photo. :)
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 6:25PM GMT
Hello,

My grandmother Mabel Saylor and My great Aunt Ella Saylor started in Washington State. At first it was callled Canterberry Chocolates. Their father Albert Saylor encouraged his daughters to be independent women early in life and they started Canterberry Chocolates. Later in the 20s or so they moved the company to Alameda Ca where they started Saylors. I grew up working and eating their Candies. My whole family was envolved in the business. It was so sad to see it sold. Your picture's were great and thanks for sharing.

Re: Saylor family

Posted: 9 May 2012 10:04AM GMT
Surnames: Saylor
Could you please tell me more about Ella Saylor. I have her born in 1882 or 1885. Which is correct? Did she marry a Mr. Brooks? Who were her children? I am interested in the Saylor family. Where did her mother Missouri die? Would you have information on George B or Mell Homer?
Contact me at mmestad@mchsi.com
Merikay

Posted: 14 May 2013 5:37AM GMT
My grandfather worked there most of his life. He met my grandmother there. I don't know when he started but he told me stories of his hours being cut during the Great Depression but he still had his job. He met my grandmother around 1942 or so and they arrived in 1944. He worked until they shut down. He lived two blocks away on Encinal ave. his name was James Steve's. my grandmother was known as Dorothy Souza. When was your picture taken? I was a chid in the 1970's. but always amazed when my grandfather told e he could tell what was inside each chocolate by the design on the top of each piece. He was a candy maker. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions