Search for content in message boards

Researching the MacEachen Name

Researching the MacEachen Name

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 9:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MacEachen, Humphrey
I am researching my great-grandmother. her married name is Sarah F. Humphrey. Her maiden name was MacEachen. From what I have researched so far, is that in 1890 there is a marriage license for George W. Humphrey and Sarah MacEachen, filed in Perry county, Ohio. In the 1910 US Census both her and George Humphrey are listed, once under Coal, Ohio (in Perry County) and again under New Straitsville, Ohio (Perry County). Both listings include their children and ages (my grandfather's death certificate says he was born in Shawnee, Ohio in 1892.

On one listing she is listed as being Candian French and the other as Candian English. In 1920 both her and George were living in Columbus, Ohio. George died in 1927. In the 1930 Census she has a daughter and son living with her and a border named Louise Gabler. Sarah passed away Oct. 16, 1952.

I have Sarah's death certificate and it says that she was born in Cape Breton. Her father's name was Angus MacEachen and her mother's maiden name was Elizabeth MacIntyre. On her death certificate it does not give any middle name or initial, the F used in her name is from the Census materials I found.

From one record, it said she came to this country in 1875 from Canada. I know that there was an Angus MacEachen that lived in Perry County Ohio with aa wife Elizabeth. In 1880 they had a daughter, Sarah A. and in 1900 she is not listed, assumong she was married to George W. Thre are two other nmaes that may be related to the Humphrey/MacEachen group. The surnames of Randolph and Cosgrove were names I heard when I was little. The person who gave the information for Sarah Humphrey's death certificate was Loretta Randolph. All of the uncles and aunts have passed away and there is no one who remembers the name and faces.

I would appreciate if anyone has any info on the Humphry/MacEachen family. Also, if you have any Candian connections. Thank you all.

JAH

Re: Researching the MacEachen Name

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 12:53PM GMT
Death Certificates are available for Ohio from 1908-1953 at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#... Click on North America and then find them in the list.

I checked and found an Angus McEachen b 18 Jul 1838 Canada and d 1 Jun 1918 Columbus, OH. His parents were Angus McEachen and Sarah Cameron both b Canada. So this gets you back another generation.

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 2:57PM GMT
Thanks, the Angus D. was Sarah Humphrey's brother. I have Angus, his wife Elizabeth, Angus D and Sarah down in Perry county by US census. I just joined the Ancestors International to allow me to search into Canada, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Angus D. was born here but Sarah was born in Cape Breton Nova Scotia. I know they came down around 1875. Thanks to you I have a place to start. Thanks again

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 1:27PM GMT
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/MacNeil/default.aspx?sec...

Here you will find a listing for Sarah MacEachen Cape Breton N.S.

she is listed 3rd from the bottom.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions