Search for content in message boards

Sterenberg, Sternberg

Sterenberg, Sternberg

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sterenberg, Sternberg, Oosting
Seeking information on John Sterenberg. Originated in Netherlands came to America with wife Martha (Oosting) in 1902. Had 6 children and lived in Chicago, IL. Children: Annie, Sophia, Peter, Gertrude, Henry & Ida. Annie was married to Albert Alberts in Chicago.

Any information on where the Sterenberg (Sternberg) name originates from in Netherlands is greatly appreciated.

Warmly.

Re: Sterenberg, Sternberg

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Sterenberg
The familyname Sterenberg seems to be popular in Groningen. In Genlias are 143 grooms with this familyname, Of those are 116 in Groningen, 8 in Drenthe, 7 in Friesland, 9 in Gelderland I did not look for the remaining 3. The oldest one is in 1811 when Hindrik Sterenberg, born 3 april 1782 in Appingedam, married in Appingedam. The site www.allegroningers.nl has the baptizms, marriages and burials before 1812 of Appingedam online. At the baptizm uses the father a patronymic, but the mother uses familyname Sterenberg. See attachment. http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfd/ tells us that Sterenberg is an address name, probably the name of a farm somewhere in Groningen
Attachments:

Posted: 4 Oct 2009 8:20AM GMT
Hello Warmly,

I did not find John Sterenberg, but i did find Jan Sterenberg. He married Martha Oosting 20-03-1890 in 't Zandt, Groningen, the Netherlands.
Jan was born in Godlinze, Groningen, the Netherlands.
Martha was born in 't Zandt.
The parents of Jan are Jan Eltjes Sterenberg and Anje Bouwman.
The parents of Martha are Pieter Oosting and Sophia Heukers.
When they married Jan was 31 years old, Martha 24 years.

Was one of the children born before the weddingdate of Jan and Martha?

Please let me know if this is the right family. When they are i will search further for you, i think there is more to ffind.

Greetings Marie-Anne

Posted: 4 Oct 2009 8:55PM GMT
Yes this is them. That is the family, I don't know if they had a child before they were married, but it is possible. Anything you find is greatly appreciated, however if you want me to look I will. Can you advise where you are looking, is it a free site? Thank you so much.

Warmly.

Posted: 4 Oct 2009 9:57PM GMT
I think this is the site

http://www.allegroningers.nl/

I believe it is in Dutch only, but you may be able to find your way.

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 3:55PM GMT
The name Stereberg originates in the Province of Groningen in The Netherlands.
The name John was probably Johannes or Jan

www.genlias.nl ( in dutch, if you need help let me know)

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 10:59PM GMT
Okay. Thank you all for your help, that site has turned out to be wonderful. I have gone back many generations on this site. Some is hard to read, I might take you up on the help.

Warmly,
Cwellman97

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 6:02PM GMT
Hi Marieanne3. Back 4 years ago you were able to find information for me on my family Sterenberg. Where did you look for this information? Is there any other information on this family line?

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 7:13PM GMT
Hello Cheryl,

Please contact me at marie_anne_2@hotmail#com (replace # for .) and let me know what/who you are searching for.
Sterenberg is a dutch name and i think there is much more information to find on dutch websites.

Greetings from Holland
Marie-Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic