Search for content in message boards

Clue to School?

Clue to School?

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 2:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings,

I am trying to research the early life of John Earl Williams (1 January 1887-18 June 1934). I know he was born in St. Louis on the date above, and I discovered his sister Nadine (later Nadine Griddine) went to the Simmons School in St. Louis.

I presume the Simmons School was a Black school because the family was African American.
Was it? Was Simmons School a co-ed school or was it exclusively a girls school? If the latter, does it provide a clue to where John Earl would have gone? Was there a boys equivalent?

Any assistance you can provide pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Cristoir@optonline.net

Re: Clue to School?

Posted: 17 Dec 2013 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Colored School #8, a St. Louis beginning
Edward J. Simmons school Date:
Mon, 1873-05-19
Colored School #8’s opening in 1873 is celebrated on this date. This was a school for Blacks and was operated by a Board of Education for Colored Schools.

Located in Ellardsyille near St. Louis, MO, it was a one-story wooden building of two rooms and opened with an enrollment of 53 pup.ils. The school had been established in the post Civil War era in 1865 to foster education of Black children. In 1877, Black teachers replaced Whites in the school, and by 1881 the building was enlarged to four rooms. It was renamed the Edward J. Simmons School in 1891, and in 1899 the old school was replaced by a brick building.

It occupies the same site today in a building erected in 1930 at 4318 St. Louis Avenue. An addition was built west of it in 1965.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions