Search for content in message boards

Adams/Caldwell

Adams/Caldwell

Posted: 30 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Nov 2001 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Caldwell, Anderson, Senter, Cox
William Riley Adams, b. 1837 in Wilkes Co NC m. Catherine Caldwell, b. ca 1842.
William was s/o Allen Adams, b. ca 1815 and Judith (?).
Unknown who Allen's parents were, but he had 3 brothers that I know of: Solomon, Elijah, and John B. Adams.
Does this look familiar to anyone?

ADAMS FAMILY MEMBERS

lloyd adams (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS

do you have the bithdate for brothers of ALLEN ADAMS b ca1815? my gg grandfather, JOHN ADAMS b 1802, perhaps in wilkes county, or n/w nc

Adams, Hampton, Laws, Holbrook Families

Patricia Mickel (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Hampton, Laws, Holbrook, Bauguess, Pruitt
Looking for information on Gibson Adams (1786- ),born in Wilkes Co,NC. He served in the War of 1812. He was married to Susanna Hampton on Aug 17, 1815. Buried at Moravian Falls NC. Children: Elizabeth, Matilda...

Elizabeth Adams married Ezekiel Holbrook. Holbrooks were living in Dockery in 1800.

The Hampton line down to Elizabeth is as follows:

1) James Hampton Alleg Co,NC ( - ) married to Rachel ?

Son: Thomas

2) Thomas Hampton in Wilkes Co,NC served on a road committee in 1806. Married to Abigail Laws. Son: Turner

3) Turner Hampton (1765-1834) Attorney in Wilkes Co, NC. His wife was Sarah ?. Children: Susannah & Jonah.

4) Susannah Hampton (1798- ) married to Gibson Adams. Believed to be buried in Moravian Falls. Their daughter, Elizabeth Adams was married to Ezekiel Holbrook.

Would like to know more about the Adams, Hampton, Holbrook and Laws families.

ADAMS FAMILY MEMBERS

Posted: 6 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2001 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS, CALDWELL
In the small file that I have on the Adams line, I have four brothers.
Allen, b ca 1815 in NC. married Judith (?) Feb. 17, 1836.
Solomon, b ca 1815 in NC.
Elijah, b ca 1817
John B., b ca 1820

I believe that all were from Wilkes Co. Allen moved to Ashe Co NC and then to Grayson Co VA.

Jacob Hampton

Posted: 6 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2003 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hampton

The James Hampton that is married to Rachel, who are the brothers and sisters of James Hampton? Do you know about a Jacob Hampton and a Joel that lived in Wilkes Co., NC in the late 1700s'? Do you know if your james had a brother named Jacob?

Adams, Hampton, Laws, Holbrook Families

Joyce Hampton (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hampton
Do you have proof that James Hampton married to Rachel Freeman were the parents of Thomas, who was married to Abigail Laws? The Thomas who died June 1817 in Wilkes County? Thanks

Hampton

Joyce Hampton (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hampton, Laws
Nice to hear from you concerning the Hamptons. The James Hampton that I have was the son of Jacob and Judah/Judith Johnson Hampton, he was born in Bedford, Virginia and died about 1786 in Wilkes County, NC, when his house was struck by lightening. He was married to Rachel Freeman.

According to all the information I can get, Jacob & Judah/Judith had the following children: James, Turner, Judah, Susannah, Reuben, Thomas, Joel, Micajah, Sarah, and William. Here is what I have on Thomas: On or before Dec. 8, 1778, Thomas entered his first tract of land in the Moravian Falls area in the western part of Wilkes County, NC. He began purchasing land in the extreme western part of Wilkes County in 1779, which was known as the Stoney Fork Area and he soon moved to that area. His home was half-way between Boone and North Wilkesboro, near the Watauga-Wilkes County line and he lived out his life there. He died in June 1817 and was buried in the extreme western part of Wilkes County. The Wilkes County Land Entry Book 1778-1781 shows that Thomas bought land during those years, Entry #1188. Thomas is shown to be poll-taxable and a rather large landowner. In 1805 he owned 475 acres in the Stoney Fork Area, His will was probated in August 1817 in book 3 page 153 of Wilkes County wills. His will listed his wife, Abigail, and grandson, Jesse (son of Polly) and 9 children.
If your birth date for Thomas is correct, he bought land when he was only 13 yrs. old. I show James & Rachel as having one son - Johnson who married Sarah Baker on Dec. 17, 1799 in Wilkes County, NC. Johnson born 1774 and died Mar. 11, 1854. I realize that there is some controversy about whether or not James or Jacob was the father of Thomas. Do you have proof that James is the Father? Would love to hear from you again.
Thanks

Hampton

Patricia Mickel (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hello there...This is in regards to your message concerning Thomas Hampton. The Thomas Hampton that I have lived between the following dates: Born: 1765 Died: 1834
Parents: James Hampton and Rachel ( last name unknown )

Thomas Hampton was in Wilkes Co.,N.C. in 1782; he came from Virginia.

He was married to Abigail Laws who was the daughter of William Laws.

Any information that you have on the Hampton family would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Re: Jacob Hampton

Posted: 12 Nov 2001 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 18 Feb 2002 10:14PM GMT
I have a "paper" from the NC State Library written by Lawson W. Hampton of Elizabethton, TN. James Hampton of Wilkes Co, NC, married ca.1773 Rachel Freeman, and they had one son, Johnson Hampton (b.ca. 1775, d.11 Mar 1854). About 1784-5 lightning struck their house, and James was killed, Rachel stunned. Lawson was a grandson of Johnson. Lawson wrote that James Hampton had siblings Turner, Ruben, and Susan, and Lawson knew a lot about their descendants. From memory - Rachel Hampton lived near Jacob Hampton after she was widowed, and I wondered if he was not a relative of her husband's - ?father, ?brother. I have also seen a Joel Hampton with Jacob and Reuben in Wilkes Co Court Minutes.

Re: ADAMS FAMILY MEMBERS

Rose Adams (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2004 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS /THOMAS
Jacki:
Has anyone done a history on the Adams family of Ashe to see if they are related to each other? I have 3 brothers, James b. abt 1790 TN, Smith b.?, Menos b. ?. James married in NC Catherine Thomas and they had 3 kids in NC, JOhn Quincy b. 1825, Samuel Madison b. 1826, Barsheba b. 1831. They left Little Laurel about 1835 and went to Ray COunty, Missouri along with a few other Carolinians. THey all settled in the NWcorner of Ray county. James according to family lore was 1/2 Cherokee. He died just before 1850 while he still had young children at home. Catherine remarries Adam Shanks about 3 years later. I have all the history down from James just need both his and Catherines parents. GReat grandpa told his son they came from Little Laurel.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions