Search for content in message boards

Lost 1999 Eagles post by Philip Dusenbury

Lost 1999 Eagles post by Philip Dusenbury

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 1:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HOFFMIRE, EAGLES, DUSENBURY
This post apparently dropped off the EAGLES message board as I searched for it and could not find it on either EAGLES or EAGLE. However, I recently found a hardcopy of the post that I printed off back in 2007.

The original post was dated Fri., 11 Jun 1999 by Philip Dusenbury (PTDusenbury@webtv.net). He posted it in the following location: EAGLE-L /EAGLES (with an S)

I’ve searched diligently for Mr. Dusenbury and believe I have found him (d. 2006) and his wife, listed in the Social Security Death Index, so I decided to re-post the information as originally posted. I am a descendant of Mary Tallman Eagles, but found his post too late. When I replied the email address was not in service. Would be happy to hear from other EAGLES, DUSENBURY descendants.

Here is the original post by Mr. Dusenbury:

I’m looking for fellow descendants of MARY TALLMAN EAGLES (b. Sept 10, 1805 in Smith Grove, Orange County, NY: d. Mar 9, 1821). Her grandfather was William Eagles, SR. (b. 1710 in England; d. 1765 in NYC). He and his two brothers (Thomas and John) arrived in NYC in 1730. Since they were all saddle-makers and New York was small, Thomas moved to Newark, NJ and John to Queens County… William and wife Anna had seven children, the sixth of which was THOMAS EAGLES (1743-1810). Prior to the Revolutionary War, he had accumulated considerable property; but when the war broke out, he moved to Warwick (Orange County), NY where his sister, HESTER EAGLES BAIRD, lived. A patriot, he was elected a captain in the Orange County Militia. His brother-in-law, Francis Baird was one of Warwick’s first settlers. THOMAS EAGLES married Magdelen Bussey (1766-1826). MARY TALLMAN EAGLES was the oldest of their 10 children. She married William Dusenbury (1782-1829) on Sept 10, 1805. They, my gr gr gr gr grandparents, had three children. THOMAS DUSENBURY (1806-1878) who married HARRIET JOHNSON (d. 1884); ELIZABETH (ELIZA) DUSENBURY (1808-1887) who married JAMES HOFFMIRE whose children may have been William Hoffmire and Harriet Louisa Hoffmire; and my gr-gr-gr (grandfather){last word added to Philip Dusenbury’s post for clarity} WILLIAM EAGLES DUSENBURY (1810-1879) who married ELIZA ANN WARNER (1812-1848). The couple moved from NYC to Michigan (an 800-acre farm in what is now Detroit) in about 1845 but returned to NY two years later when Eliza became seriously ill. She died in Brooklyn. William and Eliza had six children, one dying in youth. The surviving five were WILLIAM WARNER DUSENBURY, GEORGE DUSENBURY, SR (my gr gr), JOSEPHINE DUSENBURY (b. 1843), THEODORE DUSENBURY (b. 1845) and ARTHUR DUSENBURY (b. 1850). WILLIAM EAGLES DUSENBURY’S second wife was SUSAN GUNNING (d. 1866). They married in 1850 and apparently had two daughters, SUSANNAH (1852-1902) and HANNAH ELIZABETH (1853-97?). SUSANNAH married ROBERT B. MUIR on July 6, 1873. Meanwhile WILLIAM EAGLES DUSENBURY’S third wife was ANN WILSON, but they apparently had no children. WILLIAM WARNER DUSENBURY (1837-1910) married THERESA HONEYWELL (1842-1911) in 1864. Their daughter Martha was born about 1890. The rest of the Eagles’ descendants are in my line so I have them, but I’d surely appreciate any info from any EAGLES who could fill in some gaps. Thanks. PHIL

Re: Lost 1999 Eagles post by Philip Dusenbury

Posted: 18 Dec 2009 5:57PM GMT
this is very interesting i am a direct line eagles would love to chat with you more i am searching for my 7th great grand father parents and this info is very intreging email me at bslong11@gmail.com

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 4:28AM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2013 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Eagles Bussey Bartlett
I have been trying to confirm / disprove my 4-gr grandfather, Leander Eagles (1796-1859), is the son of Thomas and Magdalene (Bussey or Bartlett) Eagles, so as to put in an application to the Daughters of the American Revolution (as a descendant of Thomas Eagles).

Thomas Eagles is already recognized as an eligible ancestor, as there are a number of people who have applied for membership through descendancy from his daughter, Mary Tallman Eagles. But no one has applied through his son Leander, so I can't even be sure Leander was his son.

Do you have any information to share along that line?

Posted: 19 Dec 2009 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hoffmire, Eagles, Dusenbury
Has anyone applied for DAR through the Elizabeth Dusenbury/James Hoffmire line? There is a bio by James Hoffmire's son William online that mentions that his ancestor Maj. W.B. Eagles was in the Revolutionary War but I can't find much else. That bio is posted at:

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/cherokee/1904/bios/...

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: Eagles
W. B. Eagles may have been one of Thomas Eagle's other sons, or possibly his brother - I'll have to dig around and find my Eagles book and see.

Posted: 8 Feb 2010 1:11AM GMT
I too am a decendent of Mary Talman Eagles Dusenberry, and also have had a most dificult time locating hard information about her. However, in the last few days, I might have located some which I hope to confirm and will gladly share with everyone.

I have extensive information on the Dusenberrys, some from genealogy sites, others from local history books, still others from death certificates.

Larry Lenahan

Posted: 31 May 2011 6:36PM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2011 7:24PM GMT
To all of you looking for information about the Eagles family, I would like to suggest you consider a copy of the Eagles Families of North America by Douglas Eaton Eagles.

The History and family your referring to is in Chapter 52 "The Eagles of New Jersey"

Thomas Eagles served as 1st Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War in the "Florida and Warwick" Regiment of the Militia In the 1790 NY census of the US, Thomas is living in the West Ward of New York City., and is listed with the following family: 2 males over 16; 3 males under 16; and 4 females, including heads of family. According to Douglas Eagles record, at the time if this 1790 census, Thomas and Magdalen have 7 children, 3 daughters and 4 sons. William was a baby, and Leander, not yet born, would be a 5th son.

This two volume set contains priceless information about our Eagles family linage.
If your interested you can contact Carol Eagles at 1-519-344-6430 or write to Carol Eagles
285 College Avenue North
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada N7T 6B9

Best regards,
Keith Mayes
kdmayes1@aol.com

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 2:19AM GMT
I actually have a copy of the books you mentioned - I provided information to it, as well.

I was hoping to find a will, service record, or something that confirmed Thomas' service, and that Leander was his son.

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 2:34AM GMT
Larry, I just saw your post. Please contact me at medianws "at" iag.net

I have Mary Tallman Eagles as marrying William Dusenbury and having 6 sons and one daughter. Her daughter, Elizabeth, married my G-G-G-Grandfather James Hoffmire and I have a listing of many of the descendants from James and Elizabeth forward.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 2:26PM GMT
Researching John Eagles who went to Nova Scotia around 1763, probably from New York. His sons were named William and Jabez (Jabish).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions