Search for content in message boards

Publishing BDMs and censuses

Publishing BDMs and censuses

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: N/A
Dear all,
Can anyone tell me if it is legal to publish birth, death, marriage certificates and censuses online?

I've bought censuses from Ancestry.co.uk and BDMs from the UK's General Registry Office (GRO) during my research for my family genealogy.

If I could, I would publish BDMs and censuses on my family blog (familia-nostra.blogspot.com) as source evidence and to help other people researching the same family history. However, I haven't noticed other people publish documents online. It's far more common for genealogists/researchers to cite documents, etc. than publish them. (Of course, I'm aware that it would not be legal to publish any documents for living people).

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.
Regards
Saphrani

Re: Publishing BDMs and censuses

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: N/A
Just to add some information; I have noticed that it states on a strip at the bottom of the England censuses "Crown Copyright - not to be reproduced without permission" or "Crown Copyright - not to be reproduced photographically without permission".

I suppose these are more modern additions to the censuses and that genealogy companies, such as Ancestry, need to receive permission from the relevant governmental body before making censuses and other documents available to the public for a price.

Yet, if this is not the case, I still wonder whether genealogists have the right to publish documents (as long as a document doesn't contain personally sensitive information about living persons).

Re: Publishing BDMs and censuses

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 12:41AM GMT
It's going to depend on the specific copyright laws in your country. In the USA, as I understand it, a census, even recent, cannot be copyrighted as it is a collection of DATA. Data cannot be copyrighted. Sometimes the form in which the data is presented is copyrightable (a phone book for example). But if someone wanted to, they could transcribe and republish the data in their own format.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions