Search for content in message boards

2002 Newspaper look-up please

2002 Newspaper look-up please

Alistair (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2004 1:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BECHER
I am hoping someone can help me with a newspaper look-up. I am trying to find a death notice or obituary for Harry P. BECHER who was born April 8, 1917 in CA and died June 28, 2002 at Fair Oaks, Sacramento, CA.

Any information would be hugely appreciated!!

Alistair
London, England

Re: 2002 Newspaper look-up please

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2004 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: Becher
I'll get this for you this afternoon. It is in the Bee.

Nancy

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 12:19AM GMT
You asked about Harry P Becher. What is is that you need to know? He was my father.

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 1:22AM GMT
Hello!
After responding briefly to your request that I just saw, I looked at your earlier posts and some of your previous responses. Most of the Bechers that I have met have been Austrian or German and they pronounce their name "Becker" instead of "Beecher" like our family does, and we are originally from England. Looks like you have my family tree!

My dad was the Harry P. Becher that you asked about. He just died in June 2002. His father was also Harry Philip Becher, who was married to Winifred McCrary.

Your correspondent named Rosemary has listed all of my aunts and uncles in one of her posts. The only one still living of that generation is my aunt Virginia, who lives in Auberry, CA.

Funny that Rosemary mentioned Chico, CA in one of her posts. That's where my mother was born. Her maiden name was Frances Marian Schroder. She died in 1995, but has one surviving brother, Fred, who lives a few miles from me.

I had a sister (Shirley Bernice Becher born 5/18/46), who died in 2001 of cancer (her married name was Hill), and a brother (Jon Harry Becher born 4/30/50) with whom our family lost contact many years ago. I don't know if he is living or dead. Neither of them had any children. I had three children: Colleen Frances McGuire born 1/16/61, Cathleen Jo McGuire born 9/13/63 and Kelly Dawn McGuire born 2/24/65 and died 1/10/75. Their father was my first husband, Warren Douglas McGuire, Jr. who was born 10/21/40. I was born Susan Frances Becher 3/31/40. My last name is now Neal, from my second marriage.

I have three grandchildren and three great grandchildren!! Let me know if I can give you any mor einfo and I would love to be able to buy from you copies of what you have. My aunt Margaret, who died shortly after my dad, had inherited some books that were actually leatherbound handwritten letters and momentos of a great uncle who was a civil engineer who built bridges in a jungle somewhere. I haven't seen them in nearly 50 years and can't recall much about them except that one volume had me excited as he spoke of headhunters and the rumor among us cousins was that he was ultimately killed by them and his head was shrunken like the ones he described in his writings. I don't know if that was just children's imagination or true. It would be fun to see if I could track those books down.

Anyway, I would love to hear from you. I have felt sad that I can't find the old photos that I remember from my childhood of my dad's ancestors. I don't know what happened to them and because I am the oldest living relative except for my elderly aunt who is in poor health following a stroke, I have no one to ask about our family history.

I also know that my dad inherited a seal, used to seal letters with wax, that was a few hundred years old and represented the coat of arms granted to an ancestor of his in England. My mom had a ring made for my dad with the coat of arms on it, but the design wore completely off over the years. I think it is possible that one of the boxes I still haven't gotten through in the attic may have that seal. If I find it, I will see if I can make an impression of it. Don't hold your breath, though, because I am still looking for things and trying to compress three households of "stuff" into one house, as well as holding estate sales, and trying to find new homes for the equipment and furnishings from my law practice that I have recently retired from! Retirement has become a full time job and then some!!

Hope you are well and that I can be of help in your project. My email address is: sfn@quixnet.net and I'd love to hear from you!

Susan

P.S. The reason that I was on this site is that my mother-in-law is making a scrapbook of her family history and asked me to help her, so after looking up a lot of stuff about her family I stuck my dad's name in the search box just for the heck of it and up came your query - what luck, huh?

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:07AM GMT
Surnames: BECHER
Hi Susan, I hope this reaches you since your email address appears to be invalid. I have some more Becher info for you. Alistair
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions