Search for content in message boards

Simmons Family in Beaufort Cty, SC around 1817

Simmons Family in Beaufort Cty, SC around 1817

C M Gelinas (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2001 6:59AM GMT
I am looking for any information on the Simmons Family
that was in Beaufort Cty, SC in or around 1817.
My Great, Great, Great Grandfather was James Simmons who
married a Unity Strickland.

They had 7 child born in SC from 5/1844 to about 1860.
Any information you could give me would be helpful.

Cheryl

Simmons family

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2001 4:12PM GMT
I am descended from Silas Simmons who was born in SC around 1815 and married Ellen Kemp (?), lived in Georgia, had seven children, one of them James. Could there be a connection? (I'm a former resident of Beaufort & would appreciate hearing from you.)

Thanks,

Betty
ehorne1@home.com

Re: Simmons family

C. M. Gelinas (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 4:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Sorry it took me a little while to answer back. I took a little break.

There could be a connection. It is possible that they were brothers. James Simmons was born in 1817.

Hope I hear back from you.

Re: Simmons Family in Beaufort Cty, SC around 1817

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 11:30PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2003 6:11PM GMT
I am descended from a Benjamin Jewell, said to be a Prussian Jew, who owned a store in Charleston, SC in the late 1700s/early 1800s before removing to Richmond, Va. around 1812 and Louisiana around 1818. His daughter, Julianna Jewell (her mother was Sophie Prevost, a refugee from the slave uprising in Santo Domingo, now Haiti, in the 1790s) married Alexander Simmons, said to be a cousin, on Mar. 13,1812(according to a newspaper article - another source says his name was Isaac Jewell). Family tradition has it that he was initially a clerk in Benjamin Jewell's store, but opened a store in Orangeburg District which is apparently nearby as he still went to Benjamin Jewell's store to get supplies. He died within a year of the marriage and a son, Benjamin Francis Jewell, was born after his death. Julianna later married Samuel Richenbaker of Orangeburg, SC. Is Orangeburg near Beaufort City? I have the impression they are both near Charleston. Someone conjectured that perhaps Simmons was originally Simons, but the family did not seem to hold to their Jewish religion.Let me know if you think there is a connection. I would love to know more about the Simmons family.

Penny Midboe

Simmons Information Exchange (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2002 2:02AM GMT
Dear Penny: There appeared an inquiry thru Genfourm #339 from someone at this EMail address: aherbert@awod.com which said :Isaac Simmons and Julianna Jewell had a son Benjamin F. Simmons born 1812 and lived in Orangeburg and Charleston SC. Have descendants but no ancestors for Isaac
Census records for 1850 show this:
Benjamin F. Simmons age 37, wife Mary A or J age 26, children Augusta B. age 5, Alice E age 3 and Benj J age1
Tax records for 1851 Orangeburg Dist show Benjamin F. Simmons with 2746 acres and 29 slaves
Is the this same family you wrote about? Is this Julianna Jewel the daughter of Benjamin Jewel?

Peggy Hill
o

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT
I am dau.of challie Ocie Simmmons from Adel,Ga. Samuel w. Simmons was my Grand Father,married to Katherine[katy]Lehman.Dau. of John Fredrick Lehman of Rock Mill,Ala.

229 336 0563 John an only child entered U.S Pa. Parents were
Jakob and Catherina Burchhardt [germany]Jakob Remarried at her death.John Had half bro.and sis.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Simmons-Stricklands-lehman
I am dau.of challie Ocie Simmmons from Adel,Ga. Samuel w. Simmons was my Grand Father,married to Katherine[katy]Lehman.Dau. of John Fredrick Lehman of Rock Mill,Ala.James was my Great Grand father ,married to Unity Strickland.

229 336 0563 John an only child entered U.S Pa. Parents were
Jakob and Catherina Burchhardt [germany]Jakob Remarried at her death.John Had half bro.and sis.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 4:29AM GMT
Dear Latrelle: Do you have a true birthdate for Challie Ocie Simmons and the name of his wife? 1920 shows wife, Lillie, 1930 & 1940 show wife as Nina. 1920 he shows born 1890, 1930 shows birthdate as 1886, 1940 shows birthdate as 1886. A tree on the internet gives birthdate as 2 2 1895, wife as Lillie M Griffin.
Tree Are these all the same man?

Peggy Hill

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Simmons
My father was Challie Ocie Simmmons...his first wife was Lillie Griffin,Nina Bell Montgomery [Moye] Simmons is my mother......Samuel C.Simmons was my grand father..he married Katherina Lehman her father,a famous potter[John Fredrick Lehman].........my great grand father was James C. Simmons..married to Unity[Uneta]Strickland.

Nina..Jan.27 1897-1972
Lillie....1892-1920
Challie...1886-1958

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 5:37AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions